Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

STUFF YOUR STOCKING BLOGFEST: GEORGIE LEE

Photobucket



It Might Be a Wonderful Life but it was a Pretty Lousy Christmas
Winter colds are awful. Being sick at Christmas is pretty bad too. However, being the only well person in a family full of sick people on Christmas Day has got to be the worst. My sophomore year of high school this happened to me. Everyone in my family was sick, and all my friends and their families were sick. Somehow, I alone managed to avoid the plague. The result being that after my family opened gifts through their Dimetapp haze, they stumbled back to bed and I ended up spending Christmas Day in front of the TV.


If you’ve ever had this happen to you, then you know that the only movie on any station on Christmas Day (circa 1990) is It’s a Wonderful Life. Now, I’m sure this really is a wonderful film, after all, hundreds of critics and millions of fans can’t be that wrong, can they? I wouldn’t know. Like the food you ate that you swear made you sick and you vowed never to eat again, It’s a Wonderful Life is the movie I cannot watch nor remember with any kind of fondness. It pains me to say this because I love classic movies. My December release, Studio Relations, is set in 1935 Hollywood. It is the story of Vivien Howard, a vivacious female director and Weston Holmes, a handsome studio executive who must overcome their professional differences to find love during Hollywood’s golden age.


Being an old movie buff, I dislike having such a negative view of a classic like It’s a Wonderful Life, especially since I can’t let the Christmas season pass without watching Christmas in Connecticut and Miracle on 34th Street. So I ask you readers, should I give it another shot or just stick with my other classic Christmas favorites? Weigh in on this holiday favorite, or tell me about one of your own. One lucky commenter will win an e-book copy of Studio Relations. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season and a happy New Year!


Vivien Howard hasn’t forgiven Weston Holmes for almost derailing her career five years ago. Female directors in 1930s Hollywood are few and far between, and a man who coasts by on his good looks and family connections can’t possibly appreciate what it took for her to get to where she is. But when the studio head puts Weston in charge of overseeing Vivien’s ambitious Civil War film, she realizes she has a choice: make nice with her charismatic new boss or watch a replacement director destroy her dream.

Weston Holmes doesn’t know much about making movies, but he knows plenty about money. And thanks to the Depression, ticket sales are dangerously low. The studio can’t afford a flop—or bad press, which is exactly what threatens to unfold when an innocent encounter between Weston and Vivien is misconstrued by the gossip rags. The only solution? A marriage of convenience that will force the bickering duo into an unlikely alliance—and guide them to their own happy Hollywood ending.


About the Author:
A dedicated history and film buff, Georgie Lee loves combining her passion for Hollywood, history and storytelling through romantic fiction. She began writing professionally at a small TV station in San Diego before moving to Los Angeles to work in the interesting but strange world of the entertainment industry.


Her traditional Regency, Lady’s Wager and her contemporary novella Rock ‘n’ Roll Reunion are both available from Ellora’s Cave Blush. Labor Relations, a contemporary romance of Hollywood is currently available from Avalon Books. Mask of the Gladiator, a novella of ancient Rome is now available from Carina Press.


When not writing, Georgie enjoys reading non-fiction history and watching any movie with a costume and an accent. Please visit www.georgie-lee.com for more information about Georgie and her novels.


Find Georgie online at:


Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgie.lee.96

Twitter: @GeorgieLeeBooks

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2985551.Georgie_Lee


Buy Link
Studio Relations - http://www.amazon.com/Studio-Relations-ebook/dp/B008RBSNYY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354932766&sr=8-2&keywords=studio+relations


10 comments:

Bobbi Romans said...

Maybe because my grandparents raised me but I adore old films.

I think one of my favorites is Auntie Mame with Rosalind Russell. Also love the Trouble with Angels in which she also stars.

Happy Holidays.

An Open Book said...

We all have our favorite holiday movies that we consider a classic. What is considered a classic to one may not be to another person. I prefer National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation- to me, that is the classic. I also love The Christmas Story.

Dawne
dawne dot prochilo@yahoo.com

Melissa Wyatt said...

Try watching with an eye to the context of the time in which it was made. It was the end of WWII and while the story owes a great deal to the structure of A Christmas Carol, it is not about the self and fear of the future of the self. It instead speaks to men returning from WWII, disillusioned men--not miserly, self-absorbed men--who had fought to save the world (and women who tried to hold things together) but needed to be reassured that it was worth saving. Even though George himself does not fight in the war, he gives a window into the butterfly effect idea that the simplest things can have the greatest impact and to never underestimate the power of human connections. Something we need to be reminded of today as much as back then.

Debby said...

My two oldest had chicken pox one year for Christmas. The youngest was not born yet. Bummer
debby236 at gmail dot com

Mountain Laurel said...

My kids always seemed to get extremely sick during Christmas! We too had our favorite movies lined up to watch!! Thanks for sharing! debbifarmer@yahoo.com

Linda Swift said...

I share your sentiments about It's A Wonderful Life. Once was enough. So it either appealed to you or it didn't, for whatever reason. Why compound your misery? Spend your time on something you do like. It is not writter that you must suffer for art's sake! Studio Relations sounds like a book I would love to find in my stocking and spend time with. Happy holidays.

Na said...

I like black and white films and the original Miracle on 34th Street is one of my favorite.
Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

Georgie Lee said...

Congratulations Melissa Wyatt. You won the copy of Studio Relations. I hope you have a great New Years!

Georgie Lee said...

Congratulations Melissa Wyatt. You won the copy of Studio Relations. Have a great New Year!

Georgie Lee said...

Congratulations Melissa Wyatt. You won Studio Relations! Happy New Year!