Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, December 19, 2012



My Vintage Christmas

My latest hobby is collecting vintage Christmas ornaments. I got into it when my granddaughter and I started putting up a theme tree each Christmas. We’ve done candy, polka dots, cowboy and Indians, and birds, and this year we’re doing a vintage tree. The vintage bug bit me real hard! The entire family is involved in the quest for vintage Christmas ornaments. Every time my five year old grandson comes to visit he demands to see my newest ornament. In fact, he told me to find him a Santa and some reindeer which of course I did. He plays with them each time he comes over.

A word of warning: vintage ornaments are usually fragile, so the ornaments I bought him are plastic and not especially old or valuable.

There are all kinds of ornaments to collect: German made, papier-mâché, blown-glass or curled paper, etc. I started with Shiny Brite, an American brand popular in the 1940’s and 1950’s. They are so beautiful! They look nothing like modern ornaments and totally thrill me. To me, a little wear does nothing to lessen their beauty. I think of all the Christmases they’ve seen, the joys they’ve been a part of, the lives they’ve touched, and I treasure them even more!

You can have fun all year going to estate or yard sales in search of ornaments. Sometimes your grandma will have a few old ones she’ll part with. Ebay sells lots of them too. The thrill of the hunt is part of the fun. If you decide to start your own collection you might want to read up on the subject first. I bought a book that’s been very helpful. It’s titled Christmas: 1940-1959 A Collector’s Guide To Decorations And Customs. Not only does it have lots of information, it’s also beautiful.

I would love to have an aluminum tree with a color wheel, but so far I can’t find one that doesn’t cost the earth. If you’ve never seen one, just Google it. You might fall in love with that shiny metallic perfection. After Christmas, go to my Facebook page to see the pictures of my vintage tree which is white this year. You can find me at

Since it is Christmas time, leave a comment for me, and I’ll draw someone’s name from the hat to receive an electronic copy of my latest Christmas story The Table in the Window. If you need something Christmasy to read right now, head on over to my website at I have three or four free Christmas stories there.

Happy Holidays!

About the Author: Born and raised in South Carolina, I hold a master’s degree in personnel services from Clemson University and am a member of Romance Writers of America, EPIC authors, and Alpha Delta Kappa, an international honorary society for women educators. I’ve been married for thirty five years to my college sweetheart. We have two sons-a physicist and a fraud investigator. They’ve given us three wonderful grandchildren-one girl and two boys. We also have two mean cats and one sweet, brown dog. At present I teach high school social studies.

I've been writing since 2001 when my son asked me to proofread a book he'd written. I figured if he could, so could I. My first published novel, A New Leaf, was the winner of the 2003 Timeless Love contest. If I wasn't sold on writing before, that did it. I've been writing ever since and don't have any plans to stop. Frankly, I don't think I could even if I wanted to. Writing is a strange compulsion that drives me to spend long hours in front of a keyboard when I could be doing important things like napping or eating chocolate. My house isn't dusted as often, I rarely cook, and who cares if the laundry got done or not. Yeah, no doubt about it, I'm addicted.

You can learn more about me on my blog.


Debby said...

Vintage ornaments are amazingly beautiful. I have several that I on longer put out.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Mountain Laurel said...

I too have special ornaments that I have collected over the years...some now over 40 years old, and some from when my mother was young, over 60 years old... I hope to pass them on to my grand-baby someday! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

Elaine Cantrell said...

Since I only got two comments, both of you are my winners. Be looking for your book. Thanks for commenting.

Na said...

I am going to google the aluminum tree. It just sounds intriguing. I try to pick interesting ornaments because they are fun to look at.