Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

STUFF YOUR STOCKING BLOGFEST: ANNA KITTRELL

Photobucket



Slide Show




White plumes curled from our lips like smoke as we crunched through the grass toward our high school. In the near-empty parking lot, asphalt glistened, smooth and slick as the soles of my brand new high-heeled boots. Feeling courageous, I stepped from the lawn, over the curb and onto the ice-covered parking lot. A proud smile split my face as I looked up from my trembling ankles, into my best friend’s widening eyes.

Strong hands shoved into my back, driving out my breath, propelling me to the center of the frozen lot. My head spun. Slowly, Punchy Churchill swam into focus, standing on the icy curb in hysterics. Others joined him, laughing, looking like dragons, steam huffing out their noses.

Gluing a big fake grin to my face, I flailed helplessly in the middle of the makeshift rink. Each carefully placed step of my wildly shaking boot brought peals of laughter from the curbside audience.

At long last, I planted my right foot into the sanctuary of the stiff grass. Red faced, I took a bow as the sound of scattered applause dissolved in the blare of the morning bell.

***


Lo and behold, on this very day—twenty-five years later, just after I finished putting this wintry memory down on paper for ‘Long and Short Reviews Stuff Your Stockings Blogfest,’ who should walk through my office door? Punchy Churchill! I hadn’t seen him in years. We stared at one another for a moment, making sure we truly recognized each other. He was a bit shocked when I started the conversation with, “Punchy! I was just thinking about you…”

I refreshed his memory, regaling him with the entire story. And even though I chuckled through the whole account, he didn’t. “I’m sorry, I hope I didn’t hurt you,” he said, making me feel like a huge heel.

Hurt me? Are you kidding? It was funny. You, shoving me Bambi-style across the ice, is one of my all-time favorite memories. It was a moment that took my breath away.”

Breathlessness. Isn’t that what every good story, and even life itself, is all about?

I invite you to share a breathless moment with me, right here and now. Happy, sad, exciting, embarrassing, sentimental, unbelievable—your choice. Just for sharing, one brave soul will receive a pdf of my romantic suspense e-book, Skinbound, guaranteed to leave you breathless.


About the Author:
Anna Kittrell has written stories for as long as she can remember. She still has most of her tattered creations—leftovers she was unable to sell on the playground for a dime—written in childish handwriting on notebook paper, bound with too many staples. Her love of storytelling has grown throughout the years, and she is thrilled her tales are now worth more than ten cents.

Growing up in small town Oklahoma, Anna spent many a summer day on the lakeshores she often writes about. Today, she works as a middle school secretary in her beloved hometown, where she resides with her high school sweetheart-turned-husband, Tim, and their two practically grown children, Evan and Brandilyn. She still loves visiting those muddy red lakeshores of her childhood, when she’s not too busy writing about them instead.


Find the author online


Twitter link: @KittrellAnna

Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/mskittyanna

Facebook author page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Anna-Kittrell/308789205843840?ref=ts&fref=ts

Website: www.AnnaKittrell.com





An ancient scrimshaw doll—does its gypsy magic protect or destroy?


As a child, Darcy Vaughan cowered beneath the malice of her twin sister, Scarlett. Now, Scarlett is back and Darcy hopes to establish the sisterly bond she’s always longed for. Instead, Scarlett tries to destroy Darcy’s life—and her new relationship with the town doctor.


Dr. Cabin Creighton returned to his hometown near Lake Chickasha, Oklahoma to take over his father’s practice. One look at Darcy, and Cabin wants nothing more than to love her forever. But a guilty heart and memories of his deceased wife are holding him back.


When someone from Scarlett’s past reappears, bad things start to happen. Darcy and Cabin struggle to keep their love alive, but as danger draws closer, Darcy finds herself once more at her sister’s mercy, with nothing but the yellowed bones of an ancient doll to protect her.

4 comments:

Mountain Laurel said...

The first thought that came to my mind as a "breathless" moment was when I was a kid and thought I would show-off my southern tom-boy traits around some neighborhood boys that I was trying to impress...(yes, romance was not on my mind at this time in my life, I was probably about 9 years old) LOL Any-how..I decided to climb this big Oak tree in the yard to show these boys that I could out climb them any-day of the week!...and climb it I did!...until I reached for a branch that snapped and down, down, down Humpty fell.
I did not break any bones...but I had the breath knocked out of me so hard that when I landed on the ground I remember thinking...
"OK...this is it... I am surely dying now...I guess I lived a full and exciting life of 9 years! I am ready to go on to meet my maker" LOL
Lucky for me my breath finally returned after a few minutes...(or was that hours or days...LOL)
...so I can honestly say that the boys standing near by laughing at me, literally were somewhat responsible for my first time being "Breathless"!
THANKS for sharing! debbifarmer@yahoo.com

Debby said...

Breathless moment was the birth of my kids.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Na said...

I remember Christmas morning we went sledding. Going down the hill over and over that was a laughing, breathless moment for me.

Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

Anna Kittrell said...

Mountain Laurel, your comment brought back many memories! I too tried many unconventional ways to impress boys--walking barefoot on hot pavement, doing cartwheels on the front lawn--and I also remember turning a flip on my swingset and landing, breathless, flat on my back on the hard ground. I feel your pain! Thanks for the great story.

Na-My dad pulled my sister and I on a homemade sled behind the car! In town! We were breathless in a dangerous, exhaust-inhaling kind of way. LOL. Your experience sounds much more fun. What a terrific way to spend Christmas morning!

And Debby, I agree. Childbirth is the best kind of breathless :)