Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween Blogfest Alison Henderson

Photobucket



Favorite Halloween Costumes



I don’t remember many of the costumes I wore as a child, but one stands out—the turquoise fringed cowgirl outfit I received when I was five. In the late ‘50’s and early 60’s, Westerns filled the television screens of America, and I loved every one I was allowed to watch. I still remember perching on the red leather ottoman in my grandmother’s den every Saturday morning with my brother and sister watching Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, and Trigger. I also loved the Lone Ranger, Zorro, Paladin, Bonanza—well, you get the idea.


My turquoise cowgirl outfit had white fringe on the skirt and vest, along with a couple of silver-colored conchos. Of course, I also had a pink cowgirl hat and a double holster with pistols. They might have been cap guns, but I wasn’t interested in the noise; I only cared about the look. And let me tell you, I had THE LOOK. I was Annie Oakley. I wore that costume as long as I could squeeze into it, which was many years because the skirt had a highly elasticized waist. My mother was obviously thinking ahead.


I had even more fun with costumes when my daughter was old enough for trick-or-treating. She’s a girl after my own heart, a born romantic—as evidenced by the fact that she dressed up as Scarlett O’Hara at age three! Like most girls in her generation, she went through her Disney Princess phase. I bought a Cinderella costume when she was in first grade, but the next year, when she wanted to be Jasmine from Aladdin, I decided to try sewing one. Minnesota is just too cold at the end of October for gauzy harem pants. The resulting costume was a resounding success and the first of many mom-created masterpieces.


My favorite (and I think hers, too) was the cream brocade Guinevere dress, complete with purple cape, that I made the last year she trick-or-treated with her friends in middle school. It had an elaborate bodice and long, fitted sleeves that ended in points outlined with gold trim on the top of her hands. I really pulled out all the stops. That dress still hangs in her closet more than ten years later, and I hope it brings back as many fond memories for her as it does for me.


What favorite costumes do you remember?


I’m delighted to donate a print copy of my post-Civil War romance, A Man Like That, to one lucky commentator, and I’d love to hear from you!


Alison Henderson


www.alisonhenderson.com

http://amzn.to/QqnaJU




6 comments:

Jean MP said...

I remember a clown costume and a southern belle costume, those two stand our in my memory.
skpetal at hotmail dot com

Na said...

A cowgirl costume sounds like a lot of fun. I remember dressing up as a witch.

Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

Ingeborg said...

I grew up in Australia and didn't celebrate Halloween.
Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

Debby said...

My favorite costume was of a go go girl with those little white boots.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Brenda Gayle said...

That's a fun post. I don't remember any special Hallowe'en costume I had, but I've had a lot of fun dressing up the kids. My favorite is an elephant costume my son wore when he was 2. After Hallowe'en was over, he insisted on sleeping in it for months. It wasn't until he outgrew it that I was finally able to retire it.

Alison H. said...

And the winner is ... Debby! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I'll be contacting you offline to make arrangements for your prize.
Alison