Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, November 16, 2012



How Being a Writer Has Made Me a Better Person

Every character I write has flaws. That’s what makes them sympathetic and likeable. Readers can relate to them. Like my characters, I have flaws. I don’t think I was ever a bad person, but everyone has room for improvement. Below are the top five ways I think being a writer has made me a better person.

I am much more patient. I used to walk up and down escalators. If an elevator door didn’t open within seconds after I pushed the button, I was flying up the stairs. When I first started querying agents, I was camped out at the mailbox waiting for their responses a week later. I didn’t realize I would likely be waiting months or even two years for replies. Being in a holding pattern merely made me more impatient. I learned that the best thing to do was to move forward with the next project and query more than ten agents at a time. I still find myself occasionally walking up or down an escalator rather than enjoying the ride, but I’m much better.

I am less of a control freak. I’ve learned to let go, at least somewhat, of what isn’t in my control. I can’t control when, or even if, agents or editors respond to my query letters. If they’ll love my book and want to represent or sell it. If I’ll sell my next book. Luckily, since I’ve started writing there are a lot more publishing options. I’ve learned to focus on two things that are in my control: writing the best book I can and submitting it.

I am more supportive. I realize how difficult it is to promote yourself or a small business. It takes a lot of time and effort to gain a following on Facebook, Twitter, or Goodreads. It only takes a moment to like a Facebook fan page, vote for a friend’s baby in the Gerber baby contest, or comment on a blog. Half the time, I don’t even know the person I’m helping out and he or she is a friend of a Facebook friend. The person might not even be a writer, but maybe a photographer, realtor, or massage therapist. I truly believe in karma and hope that others are doing the same for me.

I have much thicker, yet more sensitive skin. When I first entered writing contests, I received mainly constructive feedback from supportive judges. However, I had my share of not-so-nice judges who ripped my work to shreds and had me questioning my talent. Besides giving me thicker skin, one thing I learned from these judges was that I didn’t want to be like them. I didn’t want to be responsible for a person having a meltdown or giving up on writing. So when I started judging contests, I made sure that I always made positive, constructive comments and I never gave out harsh scores. I once gave a newbie writer a lot of feedback and encouragement, along with an average score. She sent me a thank you note and said that the other judges’ comments had made her cry, but then she read mine and I restored her faith in her writing. I was happy I made a positive impact on that writer’s contest experience.

I am more gracious. I don’t take anyone’s time or help for granted, be it a contest judge, an agent, an editor, a writer, a friend, or a family member. I’ve received a lot of assistance on my road to publication and would like to say THANK YOU to everyone who has played a role in helping me achieve my goal!

Please leave an insightful comment on my post and an e-mail address to be entered to win one of two e-copies of Under Her Spell. Winners will be chosen on November 19th.

Thank you so much to Long and Short Reviews for helping me celebrate the release of my debut romance, and to everyone who stopped by today. Please check out future stops on my blog tour, ending November 27. I’ll be giving away a variety of gifts. If you comment on 5 stops, and are a Facebook fan, you’ll be eligible to win one of two $25 Amazon or Barnes & Noble gift certificates at the end of my blog tour. Winners will be announced on my website’s news page the end of November.

About the Author:
Eliza Daly’s first attempt at creative writing was in fourth grade. She and her friends were huge Charlie’s Angels fans and she would sit in her bedroom at night writing scripts for them to act out at recess the following day. She was Kelly Garrett. Fast forward to the present, she’s still writing stories about beautiful women who always get their men. The journey from fourth grade script writer to published author wasn’t an easy one, but it was always an adventure and the final destination was well worth it.

When Eliza isn’t traveling for her job as an event planner, or tracing her ancestry roots through Ireland, she’s at home in Milwaukee working on her next novel, bouncing ideas off her husband Mark, and her cats Quigley and Frankie.

You can find Eliza on the web at Website, Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads.

Under Her Spell is available at Amazon, iTunes, , Kobo, eBooks, and Barnes & Noble (coming soon).

When a series of failed relationships and business ventures have Monica Jackson doubting her self-worth, she turns to spell casting to attract positive energy and the opportunities needed to achieve her goals. But can Monica’s belief in spells restore her belief in herself?

Monica creates a spell to find her soul mate, and one to ensure the success of her new romantic event planning company, Enhance Your Romance. Monica is confident she has found her niche until divorce lawyer Reed Walker opens a practice next door to her office. The anti-marriage slogan plastered on his office window, and his down-on-love clients, quickly prove detrimental to Monica’s business. When his arrival appears to trigger a string of bad luck, Monica fears one of her spells sent negative energy into the universe and it has returned to her threefold. Although Reed is beyond sexy, and she admires his self-confidence, she’ll do whatever it takes to get the universe back on her side, and Reed out of her life. No way is she losing another business.

Reed finds himself attracted to Monica’s beauty and her optimism. His job and his parents’ divorce have made him a pessimist, especially when it comes to love. However, he soon finds that Monica’s pro-love attitude is rubbing off on him, causing him to lose his edge. If Reed doesn’t distance himself from Monica, he’ll likely destroy his reputation as a pit bull divorce lawyer.

Can Monica and Reed look past what they might be losing to realize the love they have found?


Shannon Ro said...

I just started reading Under Her Spell....looks like it is going to be a fun story

fencingromein at hotmail dot

Ingeborg said...

I think if a judge didn't like my writing I would cry first and then I would get angry and ask what's wrong with it.LOL


Eliza Daly said...

Thanks so much Shannon. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for following the blog tour!

Eliza Daly said...

I probably cried the first time and got angry a few times. But amazingly you get great at shrugging off the nasty judges and saying whatever. Thanks for stopping by!

Debby said...

I like when someone is considerate of my time. My time is just as important.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Grainne Callan said...

It's wonderful how you can translate the lessons from writing to life lessons. You inspire me!

Eliza Daly said...

Thanks so much Grainne! My writing has definitely taught me life lessons, some tough ones. Thanks for stopping by!

Sandra said...

Your perseverance is an inspiration to all! Congratulations!