Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, November 5, 2012

GUEST BLOG: C.H. ADMIRAND

Photobucket



How do you balance your writing with your family life?



Thanks so much for inviting me to guest blog today at LASR! Hmmm…balancing writing with family life? Good question. I have a very understanding family. I used to write in early in the morning before everyone was up and the house was quiet. Then I’d send our three darlings off to school and I’d go to work. Fortunately for a number of years I worked in town, so it was perfect, I’d be home five minutes before the school bus. After school, there were activities, PAL Soccer, Girl Scouts, Music Lessons, Art Class, Karate, Dance lessons--and for 12 years our daughter competed in Irish Step Dance which involved traveling to feisanna (competitions) on weekends in the tri-state area. So writing time was precious, but had to fit in with what our family needed.


But even though my family has always been my greatest support, they would get cranky if there wasn’t any food in the house. Luckily for them, I’ve always tried to write up a menu for the week and grocery shop accordingly. When deadlines were looming, that’s when the 3 Ps came into play: Pasta, Pizza and Peanut Butter! Lots of protein there for growing kids. LOL!


My family has weathered rejections and successes with me and for that I’ll always be grateful. I think my refusing to give up after receiving 99 rejections and then finally selling that first book all those years ago was a life lesson that our kids have embraced. They know that nothing in this life is easy, nothing is ever truly free, and if you want something badly enough, then you’d better be willing to work toward that goal in order to achieve it. It all ties in with our Purcell family ancestors’ motto: Aut Vincam, Aut Periam, translation: I will either conquer or perish!


But the past seventeen years has passed in the blink of an eye, and now our daughter is married and I’m babysitting for our darling grandbaby a few times a week while she and our son-in-law are both working. I never had to juggle writing with an infant…our kids were 11, 9 and 7 when I started writing…there’s a huge difference. But, I’m writing full time now and don’t have to worry about a day job, so I’m back to getting up early to write on days when I’m babysitting…the only difference is that I’m exhausted after our grandbaby leaves so there isn’t a whole lot of writing time at night on those days, unless I’m on deep deadline.


I’ve always put my family first, and always will; they keep me grounded, they keep me sane. So for those of you out there who are just starting out in your writing career, decide where your priorities lie and plan accordingly, because whenever other people—especially kids—are involved, you need to plan ahead in order to meet everyone’s needs…as well as your own. Just IMHO :)


Leave a comment for a chance to win a print copy of A Wedding in Apple Grove (U.S. and Canada only, please, due to shipping costs.)





A WEDDING IN APPLE GROVE BY C.H. ADMIRAND – IN STORES NOVEMBER 2012



He's not so sure about small town life.

She can't imagine living anywhere else.



Welcome to Apple Grove, Ohio (population 597), where everyone has your best interests at heart, even if they can't agree on the best way to meddle. When the townsfolk of Apple Grove need handiwork done, there's no job too small for the Mulcahy sisters: Megan, Caitlin, and Grace.


Specializing in hard work and family loyalty, tomboy Meg Mulcahy has left behind any girlhood dreams of romance. Enter newcomer Daniel Eagan, looking to bury his own broken heart and make a new start. He's surprised-and delighted-by the winsome girl with the mighty tool belt who shows up to fix his wiring.


But Dan's got a lot to learn about life in a small town, and when Meg's past collides with her future, it may take all 595 other residents of Apple Grove to keep this romance from short-circuiting.


Praise for A Wedding in Apple Grove:

“A terrifically fun read... With quick dialogue and a homey feel, this is a wonderful book to curl up with. Small-town romance at its best!” —RT Book Review, 4 Stars


Raw charm... one to read.” —Publishers Weekly


Sexy and fun... Admirand’s series will be popular, especially with fans of Susan Wiggs and Janet Chapman.” —Booklist


ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
C.H. ADMIRAND was born in Aiken, South Carolina, but grew up in New Jersey. She has been delighting readers with her Secret Life of Cowboys Series, featuring three cowboy brothers with Irish charm, and is now working on the next books in her small town contemporary romance series, featuring the town and quirky characters of Apple Grove, OH. She lives with her husband, who is the inspiration for all of her heroes’ best traits, in New Jersey. For more information, please visit www.CHAdmirand.




10 comments:

Debby said...

My family keeps me grounded and I keep them grounded. I loved your post.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Ingeborg said...

I enjoyed your post. I babysit my two grandsons one day a week. It is very demanding, but it is so much fun.
Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

Long and Short Reviews said...

Folks, the author is in New Jersey without power or internet, so is unable to comment or choose the winner of her book immediately. Please send her some love and leave a comment here so she'll have sometime to smile at upon her return!

Brandy said...

Sorry to hear you're without power. I hope that is rectified soon!
I am always in awe of how authors manage to juggle their family and writing.

Michelle F. said...

I'm in Ohio so I'd like to read a book set there. I like the cover of the book.

catbooks(at)gmail(dot)com

Barbara E. said...

Congrats on the release of A Wedding in Apple Grove. I've always enjoyed the small town setting, so I'm looking forward to reading this book.

Barbed1951 at aol dot com

C.H. Admirand said...

A HUGE thank you to Marianne and Judy for their patience and understanding while I was without power for 10 days and without internet for 13 days.

I'm going to all of my blog tour stops to reply to everyone I had to miss while we were waiting for power and the internet to be restored...one-at-a-time. :)

Thanks again for inviting me to be interviewed. :)

C.H. Admirand

C.H. Admirand said...

I just commented but it got lost so if you see this twice...sorry about that. :)

A HUGE thank you to Marianne and Judy for their patience and understanding while we were dealing with no power for 10 days and no internet for 13.

I'm catching up on my blog tour, one-blog-at-a-time to reply to comments.

Thanks again for inviting me to be interviewed :)

C.H. Admirand said...

Hi Debby - isn't it great to have something so solid grounding us as our families. :)

OMGoodness, Ingeborg - two grandsons? How old? Ours is just a year old and faster than me :)

Thanks for posting about our lack of power...we lost it for a week during Hurricane Irene...but this was so much bigger so many more telephone poles and trees came crashing down taking out transformers (which give off such a pretty blue glow before they explode)I will post pics on my blog after I finish catching up with my virtual tour.

Hi Brandy - thanks :) For a long time, it was pretty tricky balancing the day job, our family and writing--especially when the kids were younger and they always had to be somewhere...usually on the other side of town. I used to be more organized than I am now so it was a little easier.

Hi Michelle - I loved doing the road-trip to Purity, Ohio (the original name of the series and a a tiny town about 45 minutes from Newark, Ohio) I took some pics and used up both sides of the voice-activated tape recorder. The scenery was just beautiful. :)

Hi Barbara E - thanks:) I'm really enjoying writing the series and had a few secondary characters bug me about telling their stories, too :)

C.H. Admirand said...

Random.org just picked the winner...congrats to Ingeborg! Check your inbox, I'm sending you an email right now. :)