Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Halloween Blogfest: Jillian Chantal

Photobucket



I'm thrilled to be here today at Long and Short Reviews to talk a little about my favorite holiday, Halloween. I've always been a fan of the fall. There's nothing like crisp leaves, homemade apple cider and that almost tangible smell of the creeping cold air. I love boots and sweaters. This can sometimes be a problem since I live in the northern part of Florida. Yeah, that's right. I'm north all right- north of Cuba, that is. Anyway, I do try to make the most of the few cool days we have here. I grew up in Virginia and since I have a great imagination, I can pretend it's cold anyway.


I adore going on haunted tours and living in a historical town, there are plenty of chances to do so. We have ghosts all over the place here, it seems. I've been to our local lighthouse many times and have always had some paranormal experience. The first time, I smelled really strong tobacco in the basement and then, under the staircase, I smelled liquor. There was no one drinking or smoking in the building. When I mentioned these things to the guide, she indicated that the light keeper who lived there in the 1800s was a pipe smoker and there was also an American Indian who stayed there for a while who drank a lot. I found this very intriguing.


One other visit, this one in July when it was like 100 degrees, we were upstairs in the keeper's area about halfway up the tower where the keeper would store the fuel for the lights. It was super hot because all the windows were closed and the air was thick and muggy. Suddenly, a breeze blew past my legs as if someone had brushed past me. In a couple of seconds, a man who said he was a psychic said that there was a little girl in the room playing and darting about between people's legs. I guess that was what I felt? All I know is that the air was noticeably cooler when that breeze went past.


I have a new release out with Desert Breeze Publishing called The Gambler's Brother. I'll give away a free e-book copy to one commenter who tells me what they like best about Halloween or a ghostly experience they've had.


About the Author:
Jillian Chantal is the writer of Romantic Adventures with an International Flair. She grew up reading the stories of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Victoria Holt, and Noel Streatfeild. She fell in love with the British Isles through these stories. Her imagination set sail on these adventures far from the Virginia and Florida homes where she lived during her childhood. The lure of Great Britain pulled at her soul. She read so many mysteries, she could solve an Agatha Christie book in 28 pages. She still loves to read mysteries and guess "who dun it."

Jillian’s stories usually have an element of glamour and foreign places. An avid traveler herself, she loves to insert her memories of favorite places in her writing.

Jillian is a lawyer working in the panhandle of Florida in a 1940s renovated house near the historical district of her city. She loves to write for relaxation from the stresses of the day job and loves to hear from readers that enjoy her stories. When she isn’t writing, she loves to scrapbook, read, visit with friends, and of course, travel for fun as well as for research for the next romantic adventure.


Visit her on the web at www.Jillianchantal.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/JillianChantal

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/jillian.chantal



Beaumont McSwain, a former RAF pilot wounded in combat is now the legal officer onboard the Queen Mary. He's haunted by a tragic mission gone awry and wants to return to America and to a life of peace and quiet. Zoe Langlois, a former member of the French Resistance, wants to get to America and find what's left of her family after the Nazi's reign of terror. She boards the Queen Mary under a false identity as a war bride. Along the way, several of the brides are killed and Zoe's odds of survival are decreasing by the day. She and Bo are attracted to each other, but his secret as well as hers threaten their potential for happiness.

18 comments:

Micki Gibson said...

I admit, I'm a wuss when it comes to haunted houses. My favorite part of Halloween is the fun aspect. I get into dressing up. Every few years I go all out on a costume and the others, I recycle a costume from a previous year. When the kiddos were younger, we did the family theme. Last year we were all Hogwarts wizards: 2 Gryffindors, 1 Slytherin, 1 Hufflepuff, and 1 Ravenclaw. Need a robe or a wand?

Sayde Grace said...

I love Halloween too but I am a total chicken!! I love your covers!!

Liberty said...

Halloween, aka All Hallows Eve, aka Samhain, is a very special day. It is the day when the veil is the thinnest and the spirits come for a visit.

Wishing you a cool & fun filled Halloween.

>>>Whoosh<<<

Jillian said...

I love the fun part, too Micki. Halloween is wonderful.

Thanks re: covers, sayde. I have been blessed by the cover gods. And it's okay to be scared. That's half the fun. Lol

Jillian said...

Thanks for commenting, Liberty. I agree that it's a magical day. Hope yours is fantastic.

Suzanne said...

I love your ghost stories about the Lighthouse. How eerie! My favorite part of Halloween -- carving the pumpkin and toasting the seeds.

Suzanne said...

I love your ghost stories about the Lighthouse. How eerie! My favorite part of Halloween -- carving the pumpkin and toasting the seeds.

Mountain Laurel said...

I love ghost tours and visiting real haunted places! Once on a tour I got the biggest goosebumps on my arms when near an old unusual looking stagecoach. When I asked about the stagecoach on display I was told it was used to carry the dead and others had seen ghost near it at night. Anyway...thanks for sharing!

Jillian said...

Thanks Suzanne - Our lighthouse is haunted for sure. Toasted pumpkins seeds are wonderful, too!

Mountain Laurel- that's a superb story, too. How neat that you picked up on that. Love it.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Nice post! I won't share my ghost stories right now-- maybe someday. My favorite part of Halloween is seeing my Snickerdoodles and the neighborhood kids all decked out in costume and handing out candy to all those little ghosties and goblins. Last year my 5 year old Snickerdoodle was Capt. America and my 3 year old Snickerdoodle Batman. I don't know what they will be this year yet, but I'm sure they will be sights to behold. Best of luck with The Gambler's Daughter.

Jillian said...

Thanks Flossie. One day we'll have a chat about ghosts as I want to hear all about yours. I love the kids dressing up as well. Sadly, mine are too old to dress up and no grandkids yet (thank goodness as neither is settled down yet). Have fun with the Snickerdoodles. I love superhero costumes. Thanks for the good wishes.

Sandy Tilley said...

I need to go to the lighthouse for research. But I'm a big chicken. Wanna go with me?

Jillian said...

Sure Sandy. I'll go but I have to stay out of the one area where there is a very evil spirit that sucks me dry. I can't go down to that part of the building.

Debby said...

I love going on haunted walks. I drag my family every time we go somewhere that has them.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Jillian said...

Awesome, Debby. We do that too. It's a cool family tradition.

Jean MP said...

I have always wanted to do a haunted house tour, but I don't think my husband would be too in favor of it.
skpetal at hotmail dot com

Jillian said...

They are fun and intriguing, Jean. I hope you get to try one someday.

Jillian said...

Congratulations to Debby. You have won a copy of The Gambler's Brother. I'll send it to the address above. Thanks to all who commented.