Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Halloween Blogfest Christine DePetrillo


Pumpkin Pie and Books

Autumn is one of my favorite seasons. I’m a diehard Summer fan, but still enjoy what Autumn has to offer, more specifically, its food.

I make pumpkin pie almost weekly during the months of October and November. Here’s my recipe, which has pleased an abundance of pumpkin pie connoisseurs over the years:

Crumble-topped Pumpkin Pie


1 15-oz. can pumpkin

1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk (fat free works fine)

1 egg

1 ¼ tsp ground cinnamon

½ tsp each ground ginger, nutmeg, salt

2 tsp pure Vermont maple syrup (I make this myself. So much fun!)

1 pie crust (pre-made ones are fine if you don’t have time to whip up one from scratch)

¼ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

2 Tbsp flour

2 Tbsp cold butter (margarine is fine)

¾ cup chopped walnuts


1. Preheat oven to 425⁰. With a wire whisk, beat pumpkin, condensed milk, egg, maple syrup, ¾ tsp. cinnamon, ½ tsp. ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Pour into crust.

2. Bake 15 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, combine sugar, flour, and remaining cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Remove crust from oven; reduce oven to 350⁰. Sprinkle topping mixture over pie.

4. Bake for another 40 minutes or until set. Cool. Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers (if there are any!).

I also love pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin waffles, pumpkin bread, pumpkin spiced tea, and pumpkin soup, all of which I try to make throughout the season. You might think I’d get sick of pumpkin by the time winter rolls around, but strangely, I don’t. You can never have too much pumpkin!

I hope you try my pie recipe and it causes many rounds of yummy noises to emanate from your family members and friends. I find pumpkin pie is best served with hot apple cider and a good book.

Here are two books you may enjoy:

Firefighter Patrick Barre is determined to hide away in the woods of Vermont. He's content to do his job, remodel his house, and enjoy the company of his arson-detection dog, Midas. Scars from the fire that destroyed his family keep him from letting anyone into his life.

Gini Claremont uses her camera to celebrate the beauty of life. Nature soothes her, while anger is dangerous for Gini--and anyone near her. If she doesn't guard her emotions, her surroundings could go up in flames. Living alone, keeping busy, and letting her family keep watch on her is best for

When an arsonist declares war on their town, Patrick and Gini reluctantly band together to sift through the ashes, each holding a secret close to the heart. As the arson escalates, so does their mutual attraction. Will teaming up put out the fires, or start a whole new one?

Graphic designer Johanna Ware knows family is the most important part of life. Her son, Kameron, is her world after losing her daughter and husband. She hides away on her Nebraska farm, wishing for adventure but settling for responsibility.

Corporate pilot Holden Lancaster is ready to fly for Donovan Electronics at a moment’s notice. When he isn’t in the air, he’s at his Texas home remodeling old cars to race and sell. He enjoys the speed of his life but not the solitude.

When Holden discovers shady dealings at Donovan Electronics, an attempt on his life leaves him with amnesia in a crashed plane in Johanna's field. With no memory of family or friends and a company who denies employing him, Holden is placed in Johanna’s care.

Will Johanna regret opening her world to this sexy stranger? Will Holden remember a life that makes it impossible for him to be with Johanna? Or is love enough to make them forget everything
but each other?

Both books can be found on Amazon along with all my other titles. Please visit my website as well here.

Comment on this post to be entered to win ONE free EBOOK copy of either of these books. Winner will be randomly chosen from the comments on 11/3/2012. Winner must supply a valid email address to receive the prize.

Happy Autumn!

Christine DePetrillo


Mountain Laurel said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe! I will give it a try! I love this time of year and making pumpkin pies are in my list of favorite activities also...thanks for sharing!

joye said...

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. I am going to try it because i love pumpkin pie. My favorite.
Would love to read your book.

Debby said...

My husband loves pumpkin pie. I am going to give this recipe a try.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Jean MP said...

I love pumpkin pie, going to try this one out for sure. Thanks for the recipe.
skpetal at hotmail dot com

Christine DePetrillo said...

Congrats, Joye! You were selected as the winner! I sent you a private message.

Hope everyone's pie comes out great! I just made one today!