Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, October 29, 2012

Halloween Blogfest: C.H. Admirand

Photobucket




When I was a kid, there was one place our parents forbid us to go…Trenchert’s house. Why, you might ask? Because it was haunted! There was a fire in the stone and wood house built around1900, but that was long before us kids were born! It had been a deserted, creepy looking house for as far back as any of us could remember.


Did we stay away from Trenchert’s just because our parents told us to? Umm…yeah. Sure…well at least for a little while. My older brother used boast that he’d been inside the house a couple of times with Mike, Jack, and Bobby, but said I couldn’t go.


Well now, what more of an incentive would I have to go, other than my brother—only 18 months older than me—telling me not to? It was like waving a red flag in front of my face. OK, so I was only six years old at the time, but heck, I could be brave if I wanted to.


I bugged him about taking me there a couple of times and he finally relented, saying to meet him at the big rock in 15 minutes. The big rock was a boulder at the end of our neighbor’s driveway. It was big enough that three little kid backsides would fit sitting on it. I had finished my chores and it wasn’t time to set the table for dinner yet, so I waited at the big rock for him to come and get me. He came running down the street to meet me and had a funny look on his face, but I figured it was because he was just inside Trenchert’s. Scared, but not ready to admit it, I followed him up the street.


I was slowing to a stop at the base of the driveway to Trenchert’s when I heard a blood-curdling scream! Scared spitless, I froze, unable to move. A few seconds later, my brother’s friends came running down the driveway from the house with my friend Cassie—she was the one screaming. I could only look on in horror when I realized she had arms, but no hands, and she was screaming that the ghost of Trenchert’s had chopped them off! That’s when I noticed the blood on the cuffs of her coat.


She ran to her house, my brother and his friends ran off into the woods, and I managed to turn my bike around and pedal toward home. I was crying and knew I couldn’t go home because my mom would know what I’d been up to (she always knew) and I’d get in big trouble. So I did what any six year old would do—I hid behind my grandparent’s barn and waited for my brother to get home. I was too young to wonder if I could have done anything to help my friend, besides my mind couldn’t process the horrific thought that a ghost had done such a grisly thing to her.


Finally I saw my brother go riding past on his bike, and I called out to him. He stopped and saw how upset I was and started to laugh. Laugh! The big jerk! It was all an elaborate hoax to scare the you-know-what out of me and keep me from following after him and his friends. Cassie had worn her older brother’s jacket and pulled her hands inside, and they’d used ketchup on the ends of the sleeves. Guess what? It worked! I never went back to Trenchert’s and didn’t speak to my brother or tag along behind him and his friends for days…who knew that had been his plan all along? Brothers!

Leave a comment for a chance to win a personalized print copy of C.H.'s Jesse.


Happy Reading!


C.H. Admirand


About the Author:
C.H. was born in Aiken, South Carolina, but her parents moved back to northern New Jersey where she grew up, which if you’ve met her would explain a lot. She’s always had her nose in a book, has traveled the world over, and even tested the time-space continuum, thanks to the awesome power of the written word. One of her writing quirks is that she loves to include bits and pieces of her ancestors and ancestry in all of her books.

JESSE, the 3rd book in her Hot Cowboy Series, the Secret Life of Cowboys released July 3rd; A WEDDING IN APPLE GROVE, the first book in her Small Town USA series from Sourcebooks, debuts November 1st, her very first digital comic, BRING ‘EM BACK ALIVE, releases March 1, 2013 with a special print edition available May 1st during the Graphic & E-Book Expo at the Romantic Times Book Lovers Convention in Kansas City, MO. ONE DAY IN APPLE GROVE, book 2 in her Small Town USA series will release in June 2013. For more information, please visit her website http://www.chadmirand.com .

With 8 short stories and 14 novels to her credit, this award-winning, multi-published author’s books are available in paperback, hardcover, trade paperback, magazine, e-book, and coming soon…digital comic format!


Website: http://www.chadmirand.com

Blog: http://www.romanceauthor-chadmirand.blogspot.com

Social Networking – Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/CHAdmirand

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CH.Admirand

Facebook Author Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/CH-Admirand/493436157349635


12 comments:

Ingeborg said...

That is a great story. Why is it that brothers like to torment us when we are young? LOL

Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

C.H. Admirand said...

Thanks, Ingeborg :) I have no idea, but when trying to keep the peace between my three (2 boys and a daughter in the middle) I used to alternately tell my daughter: it's what brothers are supposed to do...or my sons: it's what sisters are supposed to do. LOL!

Jean MP said...

Enjoyed reading your post and your story, had a laugh when I read it.
skpetal at hotmail dot com

Debby said...

My brother would do the same thing. He is such a pain.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Maureen said...

That was a great story. I was always tryng to stop my sister from following me.
mce1011 AT aol DOT com

C.H. Admirand said...

LOL, Debby...brothers! The one word just sums it up...we love them, we aren't speaking to them...:)

C.H. Admirand said...

Thanks, Maureen. I have two younger sisters too, but my mom told me I had to watch out for them, so tagging along was part of me watching them. *sigh*

SheriV said...

Oh man great story. I was never that mean to my little sister. He ended up helping your mom keep you away though. :P

smurfettev AT gmail DOT com

C.H. Admirand said...

Thanks, Sheri. LOL...yeah, he did, didn't he? We're really close still...I should have added that to the post, and at times all these years later, he can still be a pain, but I do love him to pieces:)

Na said...

Sibblings! They live to terrify us :P I have an older sister but we grew up stickier than glue.

Cambonified[at]yahoo[dot]com

C.H. Admirand said...

Hi Na! Yes...they do, don't they? And I've often wondered if the terrifying part was why we did group up close. :)

C.H. Admirand said...

Sorry for the delay...we lost power for 10 days and internet for 13!

The winner is Na! I'm going to send you an email, so watch your inbox. :)

Thanks to all who commented!
C.H. Admirand