Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, September 6, 2012

GUEST BLOG: Melanie Atkins


Summer Road Trip
In July, I took off for North Carolina to attend a class. Might not seem like much of a trip to some of you, but I live in central Mississippi, so I had quite a drive to make. I like to break things up, so I took two days to get there. Seven hours the first day, and six the next. Should have been five, but my GPS took me to the wrong location (don't you just love technology?)… but I digress. What I'm blogging about is the road trip itself. A hot summer road trip in the Deep South.

When I left home at approximately 9:00 a.m. that Saturday morning, the temperature was already over 90… and by the time I stopped at noon for lunch in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, it was 98 -- according to the thermometer in my car, anyway. Every time I'd stop and get out of the car, my glasses would fog up. Yes, I had the air cranked up to high inside of my ride!

Such a great trip, though, in spite of the heat. I met friendly people wherever I stopped, at various Starbucks or travel centers, places to fuel up not only my car, but also myself. I need caffeine -- and lots of it -- if I'm going to drive a long way, and iced coffee and frappes help a lot in the summer months.

When I finally got to my destination after two long days of driving via I-20 and I-85, the temp was 106… ouch! Needless to say, I stuck with iced coffee. I'd been lucky and hadn't run into any problems on my way there. Relatively fast travel, nice folks at places I stopped, and apps on my phone that helped me find the best places to leave the highway for a bit.

Then came the return trip -- and two major traffic jams on I-85. Talk about hot! I was stuck so long the first time I was afraid my car might overheat, so I turned off the air and sweltered like a dummy… after totally forgetting to ask Siri to find an alternate route. The second time, I remembered and maneuvered to an exit. Found my way around that sticking point, but I ended up not getting as far that day as I wanted. Just ran out of steam, so I found a nice hotel and holed up for the night.

I love taking road trips by myself. I listen to books on CD or my phone and the time -- and the miles -- fly by. Yay for summer road trips!

My books aren't available as audio books, but I do have a new ebook out this summer: EMILY'S NIGHTMARE came out last month at Desert Breeze. In this story, Detective Emily Rawson doesn't want children; she's too focused on her career to give a family the time required. That is, until she falls in love with fellow detective John Cutter, forgets to take precautions, and winds up pregnant. She fights the idea tooth and nail before finally deciding that having a baby is exactly what she wants -- as long as the child is Cutter's. Then tragedy strikes. Will it bring them together or tear them apart?

About the Author:

Melanie Atkins a multi-published author of romantic suspense, a fan of crime dramas, and an avid reader. Writing is more than an escape for her -- it's a way of life. She grew up in the Deep South listening to tall tales and penning stories about her cats. Now she writes gripping stories of love, suspense, and mystery with the help of her furry little feline muses.


Debby said...

Sounds like quite a trip. We have had similar ones.
Thanks for sharing
debby236 at gmail dot com

Ingeborg said...

Road trips are fun but with the price of gas we may have to do them with a horse and buggy.

wanda f said...

Love road tripsthey are so much fun I look at them as my own real life adventures .Glad you were able to come to my home state and have a look around .