Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, September 17, 2012

GUEST BLOG: ALEXA BOURNE

Photobucket



POST
When my friend Camryn Rhys first told me her publisher was looking for submissions set in foreign countries and with local flavor, I wanted to jump for joy. I was sure I’d finally found my niche. I love to travel, have been fortunate enough to see many intriguing places, and now I had somewhere to share all that information.


My first book, Her Highland Champion, is a romantic suspense story about an American heroine who loses her memory while in the Scottish Highlands and the Scottish hero who finds her. Setting Champion in Scotland was an easy choice. Great Britain holds a huge piece of my soul.


My fascination with the UK stems from my family. My mother grew up in northern England. At 16, she came to the United States with my grandparents, leaving behind everything she knew and loved, including a lot of family. Over the years, I've had several chances to visit my relatives starting with a 6-week trip with my grandmother when I was 10. Exploring the culture of a country that spoke my language and yet didn’t was an amazing and eye-opening experience that summer. While my grandparents were alive, I treasured the British stories and customs they shared with me. I’ve also been lucky enough to travel back to England with my mother to some of the places she frequented as a child. To say I cherish that connection to my heritage will forever be an understatement.


Now, granted Her Highland Champion is set in Scotland instead of England and I don't have Scottish relatives, BUT I've visited Scotland enough, with and without my mother, that it also grabbed me. My second book, Fractured Paradise, is set in my mom’s hometown of Sunderland, and next year I hope to write a story set in Ireland. To put it simply, I’ve chosen to use Britain as the setting of my first few books so I can share what I love about the UK with readers. For me, it’s a way to give back to the people and places that have settled into my heart.


About the Author:
Alexa Bourne is a teacher by day and a romantic suspense writer by nights, weekends, and all school holidays. She also teaches online classes for writers throughout the year. She is thrilled to be writing for Decadent Publishing and to have the chance to share her love of Great Britain with readers everywhere. When she’s not concocting sinister plots and steamy love scenes or traveling and exploring new cultures, Alexa spends her time reading, watching brainless TV and thinking about exercising. www.alexabourne.com





A Decadent Honor Guard story….

Heather Winchester leads a charming life. With good friends, a beautiful flat in one of the most amazing cities in the world, and a promising future once she finishes her Ph.D, she is finally pursuing her own dreams instead of catering to everyone else’s…except she doesn’t remember any of it.

Malcolm Fraser has returned to his Highland village to forget his failings as a professional bodyguard. Believing he could just lose himself in the mundane activities of running his bed & breakfast, he finds a woman’s lifeless body by the loch instead….


Captivated by Heather as she regains her memory, Malcolm is thrown into the line of duty. As danger comes knocking on their door, will he be strong enough to love her and keep her safe?

10 comments:

Ingeborg said...

This sounds like a great book, I can't wait to read it.
Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

Jessica Subject said...

I love being able to travel through the books I read. All the best! :)

Alexa said...

Thanks, Kit/Ingeborg! I hope you like it.

Jessica, I've always made my setting like a separate character. Thanks for stopping by!

Taryn Kincaid said...

Sounds fascinating. On the TBR list!

Krista said...

My Highland Champioin sounds like a great book. I have yet to travel overseas to either place so I love reading about them.

Great post !!!

Alexa said...

Thanks, Taryn!

Krista, if you ever get the chance to go you will NOT be disappointed! Until then, I promise to bring you snippets of the culture and details of the setting with every Honor Guard book I write!

Debby said...

I love to travel. I like to travel personally and through my books.
Debby236 at gmail dot com

Alexa said...

Yes, traveling is addictive, for sure! Thanks for stopping by, Debby!

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Lovely to read about your background, Alexa. - Even though I've always live in Scotland, I enjoy stories set here!

Alexa said...

Oh, Rosemary, I'm so jealous! I would move to the UK IN A HEARTBEAT! Thanks for visiting here!