Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, August 23, 2012

GUEST BLOG: LYNN CAHOON

Photobucket




Write High Concept Versus What you know –


When I started writing, I didn’t know what high concept meant, but I did know one thing, if I wrote what I knew, no one would be interested. I grew up in a small Idaho community, my high school was less than 400 people with teachers and staff. My graduating class, a strong 63. We would have been 65 but one guy didn’t make graduation because of a misunderstanding with the local law enforcement agency and another who didn’t believe the teachers would actually hold him back a year. They did.

We had more beat up farm trucks in the school parking lot than cars. But the cars we had were pure 70’s gold. The first car I bought was a 1969 GTO, and when I took it on the Saturday night cruise, I was asked why I was driving my boyfriend’s car. No one believed a chick owned my baby. They were wrong.

So when I started thinking about high concept themes, I thought about things I didn’t know. Space ships, millionaires, vampires, all things outside my comfort level. I kept trying to find something exciting to write about, something besides the rodeo parades of my youth, or the small town life style I’d thought of as dull and boring.

While I played with the idea of high concept, I began writing what I knew. Writing stories about women who lived in small towns, dreaming of a big city life. Or at least, a bigger city.

And I found out something I hadn’t realized. My normal was someone else’s magic. Walking my dog one day along the Mississippi, I was watching the geese flying overhead, honking, announcing their move to a more southern and warmer destination. The geese were high concept. My dog on the other hand, was more focused on a butterfly that was floating just out of his reach, and following us down the path. For him, the butterfly was high concept, not the geese.

Perception is in the eye of the beholder I realized that day. And so I wrote what I knew.

And The Bull Rider’s Brother was born out of that comfort level. A small town rodeo story set in the Idaho mountains I love. And a take-no-prisoners heroine who knows what’s important, her son.


About the Author:
Growing up in the middle of cowboy country, Lynn Cahoon was destined to fall in love with a tall, cool glass of water. Now, she enjoys writing about small town America, the cowboys who ride the range, and the women who love them. Contact her at her website – www.lynncahoon.wordpress.com.





Rodeo weekend is the start of the summer for the entire town of Shawnee, Idaho. On a girls' night out, Lizzie Hudson finds herself comparing her life as a single mom with her best friend's successful career when James Sullivan, the cowboy who got away, walks his Justin Ropers back into her life. Seeing him shakes Lizzie's world but James is in for an even more eventful weekend, learning he has a son. James has enough on his plate trying to manage his brother's bull riding career. Can he learn to redefine family and become part of Lizzie's life before she gives up on him and marries another?

The Bull Rider’s Brother is a series contemporary romance about Lizzie Hudson, a single mom who wants to keep her life just the way it is, thank you. The problems you know are less scary than the problems you don’t.

When James Sullivan comes back for the town’s rodeo weekend and finds out that his high school sweetheart had his child, six years ago, Lizzie’s world is thrown into turmoil and she must decide if safety and certainty are worth giving up on a chance for love. A love that an emotionally damaged James may never be able to return, breaking her and her son’s heart in the process.
Buy link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Bull-Riders-Brother-ebook/dp/B008195C2I (also available at Barnes and Noble and iTunes.)


4 comments:

Debby said...

My husband's high school class had only 35. I thought that was amazing as well. Congrats on finding your topic. Sounds like a lot of thought went into it.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Ingeborg said...

The book sounds wonderful. I love the cover.
Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

Lynn Cahoon said...

Debby - I loved that the school was so small, we got to do anything we wanted. Drama, typing, accounting, I was president of several clubs. And did flag corp as well as band.

Lynn Cahoon said...

Kit - Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you like the cover. It's so Idaho.