Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Tuesday, August 7, 2012



Hello. My name is Jane Lovering, I write romantic comedies (one of which, Please Don’t Stop the Music, is Romantic Novel of the Year ) and I live in North Yorkshire, about 20 miles north of York, in England. My house is a crumbling old heap (but then, it takes one to know one, as they say...) which once used to be the village Picture Rooms. Back in the 1920’s, films were shown on an old sheet stretched against the wall of what is now my staircase, and technology hasn’t come on that far, here in this rural backwater. There are people who still shudder and point when a car comes through, and I think you can be stoned to death for owning an Ipad.

I have dogs and cats and hens, there always seems to be a species either wanting to go outside, or wanting to come in – I daren’t leave the back door open or the hens swarm, and it’s alarming to come home from a shopping trip to find beak marks in the butter and a warm egg on your duvet. But I’ve brought up five children here, it’s a great place for kids to run wild, build dens and learn 101 uses for a stick; they’ve also learned to cook and fend for themselves, because a mother who writes can be the most neglectful of parents. Many’s the time that a nine year old has knocked on my bedroom door (I write in my bedroom. There’s no TV or biscuits, so I don’t get distracted) to tell me that they’ve just cooked pizza and do I want any. But self sufficiency is good for kids, don’t you think? Self sufficiency, dust and non-ironed clothes. Plus a lack of heating, so all my children look as though they weight about forty stone in winter, but it’s not fat, it’s jumper.

We live next door to a church with a Saxon sundial, so our nearest neighbours are dead, and rarely have exotic parties late at night, and the other neighbours are mostly sheep; actual, literal sheep, not people who follow the crowd. There’s woodlice in the cookware and the ceiling’s falling down, the garden is mostly nettle and dock and there is a pond in which Things live that I swear are going to rise up and engulf us one day – but I love it. And, living in a place like this – how could I possibly be short of ideas for things to write about?

About the Author:

Jane Lovering lives, as should now be apparent, in North Yorkshire. She works in a local school (at least, she calls it working), and writes Romantic Comedies for British publisher Choc Lit. She also has two novels published by Samhain. Jane’s sense of humour is usually described as ‘quirky’, which, she has just discovered, does not mean ‘made of oak’. She is slightly disappointed by this. Her hobbies are cake and biscuits and she is the owner of several feral children and a pond that has now evolved intelligent life.

Her latest novel Vampire State of Mind publishes today.

Jessica Grant knows vampires only too well. She runs the York Council tracker programme making sure that Otherworlders are all where they should be, keeps the filing in order and drinks far too much coffee. To Jess, vampires are annoying and arrogant and far too sexy for their own good, particularly her ex-colleague Sil, who’s now in charge of Otherworld York.

But when a demon turns up and threatens not just Jess but the whole world order, she and Sil are forced to work together, and when Jess turns out to be the key to saving the world it puts a very different slant on their relationship. The stakes are high. They are also very, very pointy and Jess isn’t afraid to use them, even on the vampire that she’s rather afraid she’s falling in love with.

Jane can be found at her website and or on Twitter as @janelovering.

1 comment:

Debby said...

Your home sounds amazing. We used to have lot of animals until my youngest developed an allergy. Comedy is great! Debby236 at gmail dot com