Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, August 31, 2012



This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions. Jackie will be awarding gift baskets to two randomly drawn commenters which will include:

- a copy of the Untitled soundtrack

- a "I like Big Books and I cannot Lie" totebag

- Untitled themed or guitar shaped keychains

- $20 Amazon gift card.

I believe authors learn something from every character that they create. What I have learned from Aiden, the main character in Untitled, is something that I probably learned from my mother years ago. I just did not realize the importance of this sound piece of advice. The most likely scenario is that she told it to me as a teen and I conveniently ignored it because that is exactly what teenagers do.

However, it is probably the best advice in the world. That is “No is never the final answer” or “Don’t let the word NO ever be the final answer”. I don’t remember the exact wording, just the concept.

In Untitled, Aiden has incredible drive and a fierce determination to make his dreams come true. He does not let the word NO stop him. When people said no, he could not play blues music because of his background or that he should not love the person he loved, he pushed forward and ignored the naysayers.

As I was writing these types of situations for Aiden, I found myself admiring his determination and strength. It was something that I found that I was lacking an abundance of. As an author, determination plays a crucial role in your success. There are pitfalls and struggles, and rejection but it is imperative that you never give up.

While I hadn’t completely lost hope that I’d be a published author, I was running out of steam. The publishing industry is a tough play and I just happened to decide to pursue my dream of being an author during the Harry Potter, teenage vampire era. I’m a contemporary romance author and publishers just weren’t looking in that direction. There were times when I felt I was writing just because I wanted to finish Aiden’s story.

Aiden is a tough little cookie. He saw every door that was being slammed in his face, every NO like that person was missing out on the opportunity to be a part of something extraordinary. I adopted that same attitude.

Like I mentioned, I’m sure my mother taught me that at some point in my younger years but I had to see it for myself, and I saw it in Aiden Tyler, my favorite character of all the ones that I have ever created.

About the Author:
Jackie Chanel is a contemporary romance author and self proclaimed badass. Her writing career began in high school when she began writing short romance stories about her celebrity crushes. Her very first novel was penned while she was a high school senior in Youngstown, Ohio. She insists that no one will ever read it.

Jackie studied at Georgia State University and currently lives in Atlanta, Georgia. When she’s not writing or daydreaming, she can often be found drooling over the latest Chanel shoes or reading on her Kindle with a cup of coffee in hand and a little Mayer or Hendrix in the background.

Her characters are a reflection of the people she has encountered along her writing journey and her books are often inspired by her favorite thing, music.

Find the author online at

Twitter Handle: @JackieChanel

Twitter Page:!/JackieChanel

Facebook: Author Jackie Chanel

Facebook Author Page:


For some, music is an escape from the every day norm.

For Aiden, it's his life's blood.

Already a star in his own mind & with the help of an unlikely partner, Aiden's escape from a life less ordinary begins with the blues and a guitar. Only he can determine where it ends.


marybelle said...

That's very good advice.

Never give up your dreams, work for them, fight for them.


Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting Jackie today.

Leah said...

"Never give up." -- should be my mantra :P

P.S. I like the concept of soundtracks for books. :P

Shannon Ro said...

I love the advice. Next stop be sure to enclose an excerpt, I'd love to hear more about the book to lure me in.

fencingromein at hotmail dot com

Jackie Chanel said...

Thanks for allowing me to guest post today!

Ingeborg said...

Thank you for sharing.

MomJane said...

I loved your comment about Aiden not ever taking no for an answer. I also think that you practice the same thing. Good for you.

ad0ffae6-78f6-11e1-8cde-000bcdcb5194 said...

Great interview...I have the book on my Kindle now, and can't wait to tear into it!


Debby said...

Great interview and great advice.
debby236 at gmail dot com