Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Anniversary Guest Blog: Elaine Cantrell


Ten Things I’ll Miss Most When Summer Ends

As a teacher, I may measure time a little differently than most people. For me, the summer ends when I go back to work in August. Does anyone know why students are traditionally given a summer vacation of such duration? It was so they could help work on the farm. Traditional school calendars were created in the days when the US was a mostly agricultural nation. There’s no reason to do it now, but we’re so locked into the notion of a long summer vacation that nobody wants to change it.

So, after being off for eight weeks, here are the ten things I’ll miss most when the summer ends.

1.Going to bed late. I love staying up late to watch TV, finish a book, or do a little writing without any distractions.

2.Sleeping late. I HATE getting up early, but once I start school I have to get up at 5:30 in order to be at school by eight.

3.Spending time with David. David is my seven year old grandson. His parents pay for him to go to daycare, but he’d rather spend the day with Grandma, so that’s what we do. His mother brings him over around six. He’s in his pajamas, so he crawls in bed with me, and we sleep until we want to get up.

4.Having lunch with friends. I eat lunch with friends at school, but it’s so much fun to meet people during the summer when everyone is relaxed and rested. I think maybe I cooked lunch two or three times this summer. My friend Jennifer and I often go to a local hot dog joint. Their dogs are out of this world. See, we don’t need fancy places.

5.Window shopping. David likes to go to places like K-Mart of Wal-Mart where they have toys. He looks at toys, and then we just browse. Sometimes we buy things, sometimes not.

6.Having coffee on the deck. It gets really hot in South Carolina, but most of the time it’s pleasant until mid-morning. I like getting up and sitting there while I plan my day.

7.Watching the birds at my feeders. During the school year, I don’t really have time to notice much of anything. I’m too busy with work. This summer I put a hummingbird feeder in front of a big picture window. I love watching the little things gather food from the feeder.

8.Going somewhere. Since my husband and I both work, we usually take our vacations in the summer time. This year we went first to Banner Elk, North Carolina. After we got back we went to Garden City Beach. Garden City is within shouting distance of Myrtle Beach, SC, which you may have heard of.

9.Plenty of time to write. To be a writer, you have to have time to write. It’s hard to fit it in when I’m working.

10.And last but not least, I’ll miss freedom from deadlines. Why? Because deadlines can make you feel like you’re in a pressure cooker. I like escaping the cooker for a few weeks.

What about you? What will you miss most when summer ends?


Debby said...

What I will miss most is the freedom from the alarm clock. Only one more week before school starts.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Ingeborg said...

I will miss the extra daylight hours. I will also miss the warm weather.

Patti P said...

I will miss the sun. In the Chicago area we get lots of overcast days in the winter. :(

musicalfrog at

Patti P

Toni said...

I'll miss the evening BBQ's with the neighbors. We seem to get together the most in the summertime.


Elaine Cantrell said...

Oh, ladies, all of those things just scream summer time! I'll miss all of them too.

Renald said...

I 'm not crazy about summer. So I won't miss it.DebP

Elaine Cantrell said...

Deb, winter offers a lot as prat as I'm concerned. Like Christmas. :)

Elaine Cantrell said...

Err, I meant as far as I'm concerned.

Debra St. John said...

Hi Elaine,

I'm with you. We're back at school now, too, and I totally agree with you on the sleeping in. In one sense, I'm ready to get back to the routine, I just wish it could happen a bit later in the day!

Karen H in NC said...

Since I'm retired, every day is Sunday and every month is a vacation month!

About the only places I go anymore are two trips a year back to Michigan to visit my kids and other family members.

kareninnc at gmail dot com