Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Anniversary Blog Fest: Sky Purington


Summer of Reflection
Happy 5th anniversary, Long and Short Reviews! Congratulations on five wonderful years of excellence! It seems like just yesterday that LASR first launched.

Is it me or is time going by faster and faster? I suppose that’s the way it goes. This summer really drove home that fact. After all, it was the last summer before my son enters first grade. To some that might sound like a small thing but for me it was HUGE. He shot up two inches and now swims like a fish. He’s formed his own opinions about music and books and just about everything. I suppose that’s what six-year old boys do. *winks*

As a writer, I couldn’t help but reflect on our previous summers together. I first became published when he was one so I’ve been privileged enough to work from home and spend lots of time with him. The only summer that put a great, big X against me was the summer he turned two and I had to meet a deadline. I think the babysitter saw more of him that summer than me. What did I learn? No more summer deadlines! And there haven’t been.

The two of us have transitioned from a small kiddy pool to a ten foot plastic pool, to one of those ‘elephant’ pools to our current 32 footer above ground. I’ve made a point of spending just about every day playing in the water with him, splashing and having fun!

This summer has been particularly amazing. While I get bummed that he’s not a baby anymore I love getting to know him as he becomes older. After all, he’s got a sense of humor just like mom! *grins* He’s clever, smart and terribly brilliant at math. His love for animals has grown. While I know he likes cats, he’s surprised me and become a HUGE dog and horse fan. I’ll always remember this summer as one of good times and personal reflection when it comes to my son.

But summer hasn’t meant putting writing on hold. In fact, quite the opposite. My son has now become my number one reader and critique partner for a children’s book series ‘we’ hope to release within the next two years. I’ll be publishing it under another pen name, one I will most likely let him pick out. We’ll see. To celebrate both first grade and our writing project, my husband and I bought him a new ‘big boy’ desk. It arrived today and we can’t wait to get it set up.

With first grade comes far more ‘mom time’ than I’m used to. My hope is that my characters will keep me from missing him too much!

That said, the end of summer means I’ll be getting back to my other writing project, Highland Defiance, due to be released in autumn of 2012. This story is the first of many that will be part of The MacLomain Series- Early Years. If you’re interested in Highlanders and Time-travel, look for my best-selling series, The MacLomain Series at most online book stores. This series is sold individually or at 50% off via the boxed set. Learn more about my books and places you can find me on the net at my website,

I’d like to once more wish Long and Short Reviews a very Happy 5th Anniversary. Here’s to many, many more successful years!

Best Regards,



Ingeborg said...

I love Highlanders and Time-Travel so I'll have to check out The MacLomain Series.

books4me said...

All years of school was difficult for me with my daughter but the hardest were kindergarden and this year, her first year of highschool!

I LOVE time travel books and there are not enough good books to read. And who doesn't love a good highlander story?! Sounds great!

books4me67 at ymail dot com

katsrus said...

Kids grow up to fast. Mine are already 32 & 24 along with 2 grandkids that are 9 & 12. Time just flys by.
Sue B

Toni said...

OH MAN - I remember my son's first days of first grade. Such a long time ago, yet it seems like yesterday. Now they are in college. Enjoy him while you can. It is so true....they do grow up fast!


Debby said...

Each stage of the child's life brings its own joys and its own trials. I thought it would stop but it does not even after college.
Debby236 at gmail dot com

Karen H in NC said...

You're making beautiful memories with your child. Too many times, life gets in the way and those precious times are lost.

kareninnc at gmail dot com

Hywela Lyn said...

I'm so glad you've been able to have time to share with your son, Sky, and that you've also had time to write your wonderful books - the best of both worlds really.

Your son is heading off to new adventures in learning, and new friends, and I'm sure he'll love telling you all about his day when he gets home each evening after school.

Hugs to you both.