Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Anniversary Blog Fest: Shana Galen

Photobucket



What I Did During My Summer Vacation

by
Shana Galen



When I was a kid, I remember having some great summer vacations. My parents took my sister and me on road trips, where we'd stop just to sample the pie at a local diner or visit a "Wonder Spot," one of those places where there are curious optical illusions and if I stood in the right spot I was miraculously as tall as my mom.


But as an adult, my summer vacations have been less than stellar. I spend most summers working on my next book and preparing for a fall book release. This summer I've been getting ready for the launch book of a new historical series, When You Give a Duke a Diamond. I'm thrilled, except it means little to no vacation time.


Fortunately, this summer my husband attended a work-related conference in none other than Las Vegas. I'm not a big fan of Vegas because I don't gamble, but he convinced me I could have plenty of uninterrupted writing time while he was attending events. And he also convinced me I needed to take a spa day. He didn't have to do much convincing. I made an appointment for a massage and planned to spend time in the Turkish baths, reading and relaxing.


The spa was wonderful, and the massage just what I needed. There's something about retreating to a quiet place, sipping water infused with cucumber, and listening to soft music that leaches all the tension out of my body and allows me to forget about deadlines and laundry and errands.


After the massage, the attendant told me I was welcome to soak in the Turkish baths or to recline on the lounge chairs. I'd brought my bathing suit for just this reason and spent about an hour reading and soaking in the jetted water.


It's funny how what we find fun when we're ten changes so much thirty years later. I'd much rather fly now than drive, and if I am driving, I want to reach my destination, not stop every fifty miles. And the best vacations are those where I don't see anything but the pages of a good book.


What about you? Would you rather go on a trip or spend the day at the spa? Or maybe both, like I did?
About the Author:
Shana Galen is the national best-selling author of fast-paced adventurous Regency historicals. She is a two-time RWA Rita Award finalist and a winner of the coveted RT Reviewer’s Choice KISS Award. A former English teacher in Houston’s inner city, Shana now writes full time. She is happily married and has a daughter. Look for the next book in the Jewels of the Ton series, If You Give a Rake a Ruby, in March 2013. For more information, please visit www.shanagalen.com, or follow her on Twitter, @ShanaGalen, or Facebook


WHEN YOU GIVE A DUKE A DIAMOND [http://amzn.to/Nbr8Fd] BY SHANA GALEN – IN STORES SEPTEMBER 2012





He had a perfectly orderly life…


William, the sixth Duke of Pelham, enjoys his punctual, securely structured life. Orderly and predictable—that’s the way he likes it. But he’s in the public eye, and the scandal sheets will make up anything to sell papers. When the gossips link him to Juliette, one of the most beautiful and celebrated courtesans in London, chaos doesn’t begin to describe what happens next…


Until she came along…


Juliette is nicknamed the Duchess of Dalliance, and has the cream of the nobility at her beck and call. It’s seriously disruptive to have the duke who’s the biggest catch on the Marriage Mart scaring her other suitors away. Then she discovers William’s darkest secret and decides what he needs in his life is the kind of excitement only she can provide…





15 comments:

Ingeborg said...

I love visiting places I've never been before. Seeing new places is always fun. I'm not a big fan of Vegas, there are too many people. I've never been to a spa, it sounds nice.
Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

Barbara E. said...

I'd rather go on a trip - but I do think it's much better being able to read on the way. I don't mind a driving trip, as long as it's not me doing the driving. :D I love stopping to see sights along the way, especially if they're amusement parks.

Debby said...

I have never been to a spa. I think I Would love to go to one.
debby236 at gmail dot com

ShanaGalen said...

Ingeborg, I am not a fan of Vegas, either. My husband loves it. The spas are nice, though. I recommend them!

ShanaGalen said...

Barbara, I definitely do a lot of reading en route to locations. You like amusement parks? I didn't know that about you!

ShanaGalen said...

Debby, ask for a spa gift card for you birthday or Christmas. You'll want to get a package so you can have several services. You deserve a little treat!

kissablysweet1/Melanie said...

Sounds like the vacations we had when I was a child. My step father use to say if we are within 5 hrs, we should investigate the whole area, then we'd move on to another location. We'd cover several states this way. He was one who would get us into places we shouldn't be too..lol. When we lived in Hawaii, he decided we should circle Oahu. This was before there was a finished road around the island. He wanted to take a side road and we started down it, got just a little way and 3 Jeeps, 4 4wheelers and lots of men with guns greeted us. LOL>

Eli Yanti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eli Yanti said...

I would rather go to trip maybe because i have not go to any SPA before

eli_y83@yahoo.com

Gossupgurl29 said...

We went to Disney World, Sea World and the beach this year. All int one trip. I needed a vacation from vacation after all that. We had a blast, but I'm thinking a spa trip sounds so much more relaxing.

ShanaGalen said...

Melanie, now why don't I ever have vacations like that? That's much more interesting than seeing a deer, at least to a teenager.

Thanks for stopping by!

ShanaGalen said...

I think it really just depends on what you enjoy, Eli. Sometimes I want to go somewhere and see stuff. But right now, at this time in my life, I just want to relax.

ShanaGalen said...

Gossupgurl29, I bet you did need a vacation! That was the kids' vacation. Now you get the spa vacation!

Lory Lee said...

I'm an adventurous person, so I'd go on a trip and come home battered and weary, then go to a spa and relax. Hey, our body needs some pampering right?

ShanaGalen said...

Lory, I think that would be the best of both worlds.