Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Anniversary Blog Fest: Nina Croft


Spanish Summers…

Someone recently asked me—if I could go anywhere, where would I like to go this summer? I answered—can I stay at home, please? But then, I’m writing this sitting in the shade of a fig tree on a mountain overlooking the Mediterranean. It’s the middle of a Spanish summer, it’s hot, and I love it!

Summer is my favorite time of year.

I’m English. I come from a small town in the north of England, in an area known as the Lake District. It’s a beautiful place, but growing up it seemed like—even in the short summers—the rain never stopped falling.

I yearned for the sun, and when I started reading romances in my early teens, I was always drawn to the ones with hot, sultry settings and with tall, dark, handsome heroes; Greeks, Italians, Spaniards, all hot-blooded and spectacularly rich (owning their own island always helps). I dreamed of Spanish summers and of one day lying on a sun-kissed Mediterranean beach with a stunningly gorgeous, very-nearly-naked hero of my own. He’d be all golden skin and rippling muscles, and one look from his dark eyes would melt me into a puddle in the sand.

So, at eighteen I headed south in search of a real summer.

I never found my Mediterranean hero, but I did find a lovely English guy instead. We spent a lot of time travelling when I was younger but when it came to settling down, it was hardly surprising that I ended up not far from the Mediterranean. In fact, I now live on a farm in the mountains of Southern Spain, which looks down onto the Mediterranean Sea. It’s a remote area of mountains and steep rugged gorges, where mules still plough the small vineyards, and mains electricity is something they have in the towns. We have no near neighbors and the nearest shop is nearly an hour away. I share the farm with my husband, my horse, two goats, four dogs, three cats, a three-legged Vietnamese pot-bellied pig, and a handful of chickens.

I love the area, the people, the food, the fiestas, and the summers…

It’s also a fabulously inspiring place and it’s not unsurprising that I now find a few of those smoldering heroes slipping into my own work.

Luc, the hero of Blackmailed by the Italian Billionaire, wasn’t inspired by any one man in particular, but by an amalgamation of all those Mediterranean heroes I dreamed about.

And my science fiction romance, Break Out, takes place over a thousand years in the future, and in a distant solar system, but the hero, Ricardo Sanchez, comes from Spain. And he’s hot—just like the summers.

So where would you spend your ideal summer? And who would you spend it with?

About the Author: Nina Croft grew up in the north of England. After training as an accountant, she spent four years working as a volunteer in Zambia which left her with a love of the sun and a dislike of 9-5 work. She then spent a number of years mixing travel (whenever possible) with work (whenever necessary) but has now settled down to a life of writing and picking almonds on a remote farm in the mountains of southern Spain.

Nina writes all types of romance often mixed with elements of the paranormal and science fiction.

Find Nina online at





Ingeborg said...

My ideal summer would be spent at a beach house with my husband and children and their families.

Hywela Lyn said...

Hi Nina -

I envy you - not so much for living in a nice warm climate (I'm a fellow Brit) but for having a farm. I share your love of horses but have to keep my two a long way from home on rented land.

Despite the rain, I love my native Wales, but I have to say if I could spend another holiday in Pennsylvania and Ohio, it would be fantastic. I had such a good time there and there is still so much I'd like to see.

Nina Croft said...

Hi Ingborg - I love the beach as well!

Hywela - it is nice to have Gencianna (my horse) on the doorstep. I used to keep a horse at DIY livery when I lived in the UK - it was hard work.

Jean MP said...

An ideal summer for me would be in the mountains by a lake.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Nina Croft said...

Hi Jean - sounds like you'd like the Lake District where I come from!

Catherine Lee said...

Your place sounds stunning! NOW, I wouldn't care for the nearest shop being an hour away, but the rest sounds lovely...the setting that can inspire great dreams and writing.
catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

Barbara E. said...

I would spend my ideal summer traveling in Europe, but if I can't do that, I'd settle for spending it in California visiting my friends and family. I did just that this summer, but only for a week. I wish I could have stayed a lot longer. :D

Debby said...

An ideal summer vacation is with my family, doing whatever we want.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Karen H in NC said...

Well, it sounds like you have the best of both worlds...beaches and mountains! I pretty have the same here where I live too. About 2 hours to get to some of the most beautiful beaches on the East Coast and about 4 hours to get to some beautiful mountains. Guess I have the best of both worlds too!

kareninnc at gmail dot com