Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Anniversary Blog Fest: Mary Campisi

Photobucket



I grew up in a very small town in northwest Pennsylvania with two older brothers and a younger sister. There were no malls, no McDonalds, and one movie theater that closed in the summer to avoid competition with the drive-in. (One man owned both.) One thing this town did have was a wonderful library . . . about two miles away. I walked there at least once a week and fell in love with the characters and places I read about. Summer was my favorite time to escape in a book. I loved to read late at night when the entire house was asleep. It was just me and my characters as I stretched out on the bed and gulped down their story. Around 2:00 am or so, I crept downstairs and fixed a snack—cheese and crackers or peanut butter and crackers with a glass of milk. My parents never knew, which is a good thing since we weren’t supposed to eat in bed. I always got rid of the evidence (dishes and crumbs) long before morning.


When I read those books, I really got lost in the story, and now, when I’m writing my own stories, it’s still the very best place to me. Of course, in those days if I didn’t like the author’s ending, I re-worked it in my head until I did. Oh, how I wish I had recognized those writer tendencies pointing me toward my destiny. I didn’t, not for years….until one day…late in summer, I opened a moving box and discovered an old computer disk filled with 100 pages (single spaced) of a historical romance I’d started years before. From the very moment I popped that old disk into that ancient computer, I knew I had found my passion and I have never looked back.


About the Author:
Mary Campisi should have known she’d become a writer when at age thirteen she began changing the endings to all the books she read. It took several years and a number of jobs, including registered nurse, receptionist in a swanky hair salon, accounts payable clerk, and practice manager in an OB/GYN office, for her to rediscover writing. Enter a mouse-less computer, a floppy disk, and a dream large enough to fill a zip drive. The rest of the story lives on in every book she writes.


When she’s not working on her craft or following the lives of five young adult children, Mary’s digging in the dirt with her flowers and herbs, cooking, reading, walking her rescue lab mix, Cooper, or on the prefect day, riding off into the sunset with her very own “hero” husband, on his Electra Glide Classic aka Harley.


Mary has been published with Kensington, Carina Press, The Wild Rose Press, and Jocelyn Hollow Romance.


Find Mary online at


website: www.MaryCampisi.com

e-mail: mary@marycampisi.com

blog: http://marycampisi.blogspot.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/MaryCampisi

FacebookL http://www.facebook.com/marycampisibooks




8 comments:

Ingeborg said...

You were meant to find that computer disk. Everything happens for a reason.
Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

Karen H in NC said...

Your childhood summers sound a lot like mine. Being the youngest child in the family and no school friends living nearby, I spent my summers alone with my books. The library was too far to walk but the bookmobile made 3 visits each summer so I could walk to school to stock up on more books. My favorites were Trixie Belden stories.

Debby said...

Funny who fate comes into play.
I do remember some wonderful times in libraries.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Hywela Lyn said...

I wonder just how many of us started out writing by re-writing the ends of stories we read? I'm glad you found that old floppy disc and rediscovered your talent!

Mary Campisi said...

Yes, fate did indeed have a hand in my future that day. I always tell my kids (young adults) that opportunity comes when you least expect it and you can't plan every moment in your life - and that's a good thing!

Ah, Trixie Belden! Loved her! I still have one of her books - hardbound, pink...she was always having an adventure!

Mary Campisi said...

Oh, I think many writers re-wrote endings to stories..or expanded on them. Even as a very young girl, I wondered what happened after Cinderella married Prince Charming. I wanted more... As my reading became more advanced, I would think about how I wanted a book to end and when it didn't end that way, I just added my own ending.

This is a question for writers - can you watch a show/movie these days without dissecting it? Can you just watch it for fun? It's hard to do...and when I find one I love, I watch it over and over...like Pride & Prejudice with Matthew MacFadyen and Kiera Knightley. Of course, that is a Jane Austen book and you can't really go wrong with a story based on one of Jane's books!

Jean MP said...

Your summers sounded a lot like mine as a kid, was forever found with a my head in a book during the summer, my Mother was always after me to go outside and get some fresh air.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Mary Campisi said...

Hi Jean:

There's just something so magical about getting lost in a book - whether reading one or writing one!