Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Anniversary Blog Fest: J.K. Coi


Happy Anniversary LASR!

I’m very excited to be a part of the celebration! Let’s party!

And what better time to have a party than in the summer? Summertime just feels like party time, you know? One big BBQ after another, interspersed with exciting trips away from home, or relaxing on the patio with friends before jumping and splashing around in the pool (or maybe the lake).

Besides partying and much-needed breaks from the day job, I also do a lot more writing during the summer than I can manage the rest of the year. Not that I don’t write every day no matter the time of year, but instead of squeezing in my writing in the evenings after day job and household chores etc. in the summer I can use my vacation time to really buckle down and put those words on paper. It makes me feel so productive and jazzed, and I usually race into the Fall on a writing high (which can start to wear off quickly with the hustle and bustle of school starting back up, until everyone gets into a routine).

Besides that though, summer also feels like the perfect time to seize opportunities you may not have time for otherwise. Whether it’s visiting relatives and friends you don’t get to see the rest of the year, taking summer classes in something interesting and fun, going to conferences, etc…

This year I’ve been learning to waterski. Yep. Can you picture it? Me spewing water out of my nose time and time and time and time again as the boat pulls me under? (How the heck do you get up on those things? I keep telling myself that once I can actually STAND UP everything else will be easy)

Hubby and I bought the skis at the beginning of the season and took them out to the lake with our boat. I got in the water (which was WAY chilly in early June!!!), slipped them on (that in itself was a HILARIOUS thing to watch), held on to the rope for dear life, and said “Ok, GO!”

Well, as you can imagine, there’s more to it than that. I hadn’t done any reading, and I hadn’t asked for any help from those who already know what they’re doing so I was pretty much dead in the water. After a whole day of failing miserably, I was close to tears and ready to give up.

But I didn’t.

It’s been a challenge, and I still haven’t mastered it. But I keep trying. You know why? The same reason I keep writing even when it’s hard and no fun anymore…because you’re never any good at something until you’ve taken your hits and opened yourself to learning.

Since that first time, I’ve done my reading, watched YouTube videos, talked to people, and signed up for lessons with a pro. Now I’m sure that by next year when I strap on those skis I’ll be flying along the water! I may not be doing flips and tricks just yet, but the more I practice, the better I’ll get. Just you wait.

How are you enjoying your summer? What new thing have you tried to learn recently? Knitting? Target shooting? Any tips for me about waterskiing?

Thanks for letting me be a part of the anniversary celebration!

About the Author:
J.K. Coi is a multi-published, award winning author of contemporary and paranormal romance and urban fantasy. She makes her home in Ontario, Canada, with her husband and son and a feisty black cat who is the uncontested head of the household. While she spends her days immersed in the litigious world of insurance law, she is very happy to spend her nights writing dark and sexy characters who leap off the page and into readers’ hearts. (

She also writes Dark Fantasy for young adults as Chloe Jacobs (

FAR FROM BROKEN now available from Carina Press

Soldier. Spymaster. Husband.

Colonel Jasper Carlisle was defined by his work until he met his wife. When the prima ballerina swept into his life with her affection, bright laughter and graceful movements, he knew that she was the reason for his existence, and that their love would be forever.

But their world is shattered when Callie is kidnapped and brutally tortured by the foes Jasper has been hunting. Mechanical parts have replaced her legs, her hand, her eye...and possibly her heart. Though she survived, her anger at Jasper consumes her, while Jasper's guilt drives him from the woman he loves. He longs for the chance to show her their love can withstand anything...including her new clockwork parts.

As the holiday season approaches, Jasper realizes he must fight not just for his wife's love and forgiveness...but also her life, as his enemy once again attempts to tear them apart.

And look for BROKEN PROMISES (Book 2, Seasons of Invention series), coming September 2012

Former ballerina Callie Carlisle is determined to rebuild her life with her new mechanical limbs. She's just learned to accept the enhancements that saved her from certain death when she experiences uncontrollable twinges and flashes of light that obscure her vision. Terrified of literally falling apart, she resists telling her husband. Jasper's already vowed to keep her out of harm, and she doesn't want to worry him further.

When the War Office's General Black arrives with an urgent mission—rescue the doctor who created Callie's enhancements—she has no choice but to accept. A rogue agent and former patient of the scientist believes the biomechanical modifications he received are killing him, and he's out for revenge.

Callie must reach the doctor before it's too late. But with an overprotective Jasper at her side, and her alarming symptoms getting more frequent, will she be able to hold herself together long enough to save the doctor...and herself?


Hywela Lyn said...

I think you've nailed it in one JK - Determination.

I can't help envying you - not the water skiing so much, although that sounds like fun -but the weather. Here in the UK I've managed to have all of three barbeques this year. It's Bank Holiday weekend and as usual the forecast is rain. It's actually dry today, but there are a lot of clouds and it's not really warm enough to sit out - well it is only mid August! :)

My other passion besides writing is horses - and they present challenges too, whether it's a long distance endurance ride, or just getting up really early in the morning to get ready for an event. Like writing, it's all so worth it though.

Good luck wtih the water skiing!

Debby said...

I wanted to catch up on reading and so far I have done pretty good. I also took a class to learn a new techniques. Can't wait to use it. Time is almost up and summer is drawing to close. Bummer

Debby236 at gmail dot com

Karen H in NC said...

Well, it sounds like you opened yourself up to new challenges! Good for you. I didn't do anything spectacular with my summer (just another season on the calender to me) but I do notice that I go from lazy in the winter to lazier in the summer! What does that say about me?

kareninnc at gmail dot com

Catherine Lee said...

I have NOT tried water skiing. Good for you! Doing things like that will keep you young. On my part, I'm learning a new job. I got a promotion at work May so I've been climbing that huge learning curve. It's been a bit intimidating (like water skiing), but as soon as I can stand up, I think it will be easier...LOL.
catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

Ingeborg said...

I think you are very brave to even try water skiing.
Your book sounds great, I'd love to read it.

Jean MP said...

Once you master water skiing you will have a blast, it is always that learning curve. I haven't done anything exciting this summer, just try and keep the critters from destroying the garden.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

J.K. Coi said...

Hyeela that's too bad!! It's been very dry here this year but I have to admit that has been great for the outdoor fun.

Horses!! I LOVE horses. I'd live to pick your brain about your experiences one day!

J.K. Coi said...

I know. I'm pretty upset that summer's coming to an end. What new technique have you learned?

J.K. Coi said...

I think that makes you a pretty relaxed person! Good for you!!

J.K. Coi said...

Oh that's wonderful! Congratulations on the promotion! I hope the learning curve hasnt been too bad and you enjoy the job!!

J.K. Coi said...

Thank you! And it's getting easier each time I try it!

J.K. Coi said...

Well, I probably should have focused on my garden too. At least a little bit. It's horrible!