Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Anniversary Blog Fest: Jackie Leigh Allen

Photobucket



What I did on my summer vacation.



I live by the Pacific Ocean in Carlsbad, California, the perfect place to spend a summer vacation and hundreds of people agree with me. By nine a.m. a car, van or motor home fills every available street spot. By ten a.m. a blanket, beach umbrella or volley ball game fills every available beach spot. By noon couples, children and even an occasional dog fill every available outdoor eating spot.


So-o-o, I went inland to Julian to do a little last minute research for SHERRY'S SUCCESS the third book in my Julian Treasures trilogy which takes place in the summer.


A hot dusty breeze shook the Ponderosa Pines. A few hardy fishermen braved the hot sun in tiny boats on Lake Cuyamaca. Plenty of parking spaces with no meters invited me to park Rosie, my red VW beetle.


I entered the Julian library and sighed with pleasure as the air conditioning cooled my body. A low hum came from a group of children drawing cover designs for stories that they had written. Future readers! Yeah!


Next, I stopped at the Julian tea room, a location I'd planned to use in one of my books because I love the buttery scones and the Earl Grey tea, but my characters declined to participate. I picked up some tea bags to resupply my cupboards.


Outside, the scent of eucalyptus cleared my sinuses and the roar of motorcycles clogged my ears so I drove down the street to the Longbranch saloon and café for a tasty BLT and a cold glass of diet cola.


The winding road down the hill can get crowded late in the afternoon, so I cut my visit short, drove home and put on my bathing suit. After slathering on sunscreen, I grabbed a towel and walked the block to the beach.


Hey, I'm a local. I deserve my square foot of sand and a nice cold dip in the salty water to wash off the heat and dust of Julian, a town I've come to love in all seasons.


About the Author:
Jackie Leigh Allen enjoys writing and is delighted to be published. AN OFFICER AND A GIGOLO piqued the attention of Desert Breeze Publishing and debuted in April 2011. NINA'S NICHE, the first book of a trilogy based in the mountain town of Julian, California, came out in November 2011 followed by CAROL'S CHOICE in May 2012. WIN'S WAR, the story of a Marine Lieutenant returning from Afghanistan without his legs was out in June 2012. SHERRY'S SUCCESS, the third book in the Julian Treasures trilogy will be out in November. Later in the year A REAL MAN will come out from Boroughs Publishing Group as part of the New Year's Eve Club, five novellas about five women looking for the right man with a New Year's Eve deadline to find him. Please visit me at Jackieleighallen.com or contact me at jackieleighallen@blogspot.com.



8 comments:

Hywela Lyn said...

Sounds good Jackie, as I've said before, I wish it was a bit warmer here in the UK! :)

Debby said...

It sounds so beautiful and a nice place to get away from the tourist filled home. I do enjoy a nice cuppa. Earl Grey is Great stuff.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Catherine Lee said...

As a librarian, I'm glad that the Julian Library was in your summer travels.
catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

Karen H in NC said...

Day trips are the best summer vacations! Sounds like you really enjoyed your day, be it in the library, tea room or beach.

kareninnc at gmail dot com

Ingeborg said...

Sounds like you had a fun day.
Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

Jean MP said...

Day trips can be so much fun, sounds like a fun day, a bet the tea room made for a nice break.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Unknown said...

Always enjoy reading about another library fan and tea drinker! Best of luck with your book sales.

Angela Britnell

Jackie Leigh Allen said...

Today I'm having "tea" with my four year old grandson who opens the conversation with, "Would you care for a spot of tea?" in an English accent.