Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Anniversary Blog Fest: Angela Britnell

Photobucket



ANYONE FOR A BANANA BOAT RIDE?



Some families have wonderful vacation memories of watching the sun set over the Grand Canyon or the time they saw the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace but my family's most lasting vacation memory revolves around humor. It only takes three words to make us fall around laughing all over again -- Banana Boat Ride.


For the uninitiated a banana boat is a large inflatable boat, shaped like a banana and colored bright yellow. It's big enough to seat half a dozen people and is towed behind a motor boat to give people a fun ride on the sea, close to the shore. That's the theory. In practice it can become an instrument of terror.


On holiday in Cornwall the resort where I stayed with my husband and three young sons was right on the beach. Of course someone spotted the banana boat rides being given around the bay and thought it would be a fun family thing to do together. I was talked into it -- you need to know I'm not a physically brave person at all -- and will admit it wasn't as bad as I'd expected. The problem came the next day. Once wasn't enough so the boys pleaded to do it again. I gave in, hoisted myself back onto the giant rubber object, held onto the handle in front of me and prepared for another ride.


Something was different that day and it didn't take long for fear to strike. The boat began to bounce like crazy and with my first scream came my laughing husband's observation that the waves were much rougher today. No kidding! I clung on until I lost all feeling in my hands -- convinced my life would end here in Pentewan Bay. I'd be flung off and they'd never find me -- all this raced through my head as I continued to scream. Of course my boys loved every minute, purposely bouncing to make it go higher and laughing fit to burst. Eventually we slowed down and the torture ended -- I thought.


It proved to be only the beginning of my agony. When I woke the next morning my thighs were in excruciating pain because I'd clamped them so hard against the boat in a desperate effort to stay on. I could barely walk and the sight of me limping along made my four heartless men crack up. They laughed on and off all day and fifteen years later it still only takes hearing those three dreaded words to set them off again.


So you can keep your more conventional vacation memories and I'll keep mine. My boys are all grown up now but those three magic words take me back to a special time - even if it is at my expense!


About the Author:
Angela grew up in England and joined the Royal Navy in order to meet her own tall, dark, handsome stranger, a US Naval Officer called Richard, while serving in Denmark. After multiple moves and having three sons she settled in Tennessee and has been trying to get used to the hot, humid summers ever since. A lifelong reader she did a creative class for fun and discovered a passion for writing. Her first novel Truth and Consequence was published in 2006 and she's also had short stories published in international magazines. She's had two contemporary romances published this year OPPOSITES ATTRACT and IT'S COMPLICATED and another due to be released in January 2013.


Find Angela online at


email - author@angelabritnellromance.com
website - www.angelabritnellromance.com

Facebook - www.facebook.com/angelabritnell

Twitter - www.twitter.com/angelabritnell






16 comments:

Hywela Lyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hywela Lyn said...

At last - a summer story which doesn't involve copious amounts of sunshine! LOL (only kidding, but it's getting colder here in the UK as I type!) Yes, men can be very unsympathetic at times, can't they!

Unknown said...

No danger of that in Cornwall! Unsympathetic doesn't begin to describe my family trust me!

Angela Britnell

Susan Jaymes said...

Hi Angela,

I've always been a little afraid of the water. I think it probably comes from the fact that my father was a little wild on his excursions. We use to have a huge tire tractor inner-tube he'd pull behind the boat. I was too afraid to do it but my friends loved it. They use to climb on it and rock it until it tipped over. Flying into the water was never my kind of fun. You are a brave one.

Unknown said...

Hi Susan, I'm a real physical coward who got caught up in my children's excitement and lived to regret it!

Angela

Ingeborg said...

Sounds like great fun, I would love to try it.
Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

Karen H in NC said...

I've never heard of those things before so I googled it. OMG, you're a braver woman than me. No amount of talking could EVER get me on one of those things. Seriously! Not in this lifetime! They may look like fun, but not for anyone over 25! And I'm way over 25, not to mention I'm afraid of the water and don't know how to swim.

kareninnc at gmail dot com

Unknown said...

I was considerably younger at the time and didn't want to be a spoilsport - with two new hips now I won't be doing it ever again!

Angela

Debby said...

What a great story. Something no one will ever forget.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Nike Chillemi said...

See Angela, this is where I do believe in revenge. LOL

Revenge on laughing husbands and sons...and also the banana boat driver is a means can be found.

Well at least you have a story to tell.

Jean MP said...

Oh my that sounds like quite the experience. A once in a lifetime experience for sure.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Unknown said...

Don't worry I've had revenge on my horrible family many times since that! Ask them about my tarragon chicken - that's a story for another day!

Angela

beverlywellsauthor said...

LOVED YOUR BLOG! Yes, you have more guts than I would have and I'm used to boating.swimming. Even had a large Hobie cat sailboat and have helped crew a 52 ft. sailboat in the BVI's. But that banana boat? No way. You go girl. Wishing you the best. YOur books look very intriguing. Will read.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Beverly. I didn't know any better at the time which is my only excuse! Hope you enjoy my books if you get a chance to read them.

Angela

Naomi Musch said...

Talk about an exercise routine you didn't expect! Funny story, Angela!
Blessings~
Naomi

Unknown said...

Thanks Naomi. If you want a thigh cruncher it'll do the trick!

Angela