Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, July 23, 2012

GUEST BLOG: JEANNETTE MURRAY

Photobucket



As a military wife, the life comes with its perks and its down sides. But that’s a fact of life no matter what, right? But the challenges that come along with it tend to be more…unique than the civilian counterparts. And civilians tend to be curious how our half works. So how about a list of the worst and best parts of loving a military man?


Worst:


1. My military ID: Do I really need another piece of plastic in my wallet that has a horrible picture of me? I thought my driver’s license was bad but wow…


2. Hubs had a perfectly valid excuse for missing out on seven months of diaper duty.


3. When he leaves his boots laying around, tripping on those things hurts like nothing else… Steel toe boots are not to be messed with.


4. For formal events, he takes more time to prep his uniform than I do with my outfit. “Are these ribbons straight? Where’s my ruler? This one’s off a sixteenth of an inch. I have to start over. Have you seen my Sam Browne belt? Where’s my sword?!?!”


5. The entire spare bedroom closet is taken over by his uniforms. Six different types of uniforms, several sets of each…it adds up!


Best:


1. When he’s gone, I get the bed all to myself. Hello, starfish impression!


2. The time apart actually strengthens our marriage. Talk about learning to communicate effectively.


3. Sometimes the pomp and circumstance is fun. Birthday ball, anyone?


4. Tot thinks her daddy is a superstar hero. Which, of course, he is!


5. The uniform? It’s sexy. Just…sexy.


In truth, it’s been a great lifestyle for us. It’s not for everyone. But for those who enjoy travel, some excitement, a chance to make a difference, and can be an awesome experience to share with your family. And knowing my husband is doing a job that makes him proud to go to work every day, and fulfills him…that’s just icing on the cake.




4 comments:

Debby said...

Great post. I was a military brat. Great to see from the other perspective.
debby236 at gmail dot com

andthenwelaughed said...

Great list! It really can be a rewarding lifestyle. I think the secret to military life is keeping a sense of humor about everything - which Jeannette obviously does!

Karen

Ingeborg said...

I enjoyed the post and learning more about you.
Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

Miahappy said...

Thanks for the perspective and thank you and your husband for your service!