Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

GUEST BLOG: ELENI KONSTANTINE

Photobucket


My Many Worlds
by
Eleni Konstantine


Many of us have or have had two or more spheres going on in our lives at once. No, I’m not talking speculative fiction here. I’m talking how we separate different aspects of our lives. Usually it’s the working life and the home life.

For writers, it could be more than two worlds. Think about it – if you work at a day job, that’s one. Then there’s the writing. That’s two. And of course, the family/personal life. That’s three (I feel like Count Dracula – ha ha ha).

Right now I have three worlds outside from the personal life. I’m a writer (hence why I am here). I’m a designer. I’m a student.

Why the designing and study? Isn’t writing enough?

You would think so. Don’t get me wrong, I love my writing and the writing community. And it’s not like I was looking for anything else. Okay, let me explain. I’ve always loved art. I never thought I was fantastic at it. Good, yes, but not enough I thought to take me on a career path in that direction.

As a writer, I wanted a banner for my website and decided to do it myself. This is what I came up with.


I also designed a couple of other banners for writing groups I was in. And then one day, I looked at the Little Gems Cover contest run by the Romance Writers of Australia (Little Gems is a short story anthology produced every year), and thought I would enter. Low and behold I won that year. I truly couldn’t believe it.

Design helped me during the times when I couldn’t concentrate on words. I have chronic fatigue syndrome, and so brain fog is a part of life. By switching focus, I can use another part of the creative brain, to do something I enjoy.

I continued to do more work and last year, started my own business, HelzKat Designs

So where does the student part come in? Well it would probably make more sense when I tell you that I’m studying advertising and graphic design.

But you already design? I hear you ask, why take classes?

Well, even though I had taught myself how to do book covers and banners, I wanted to learn more and learn shortcuts and the tools of the trade. Hence I applied for a course and started in February.

While my own design work is focused for writers, this has been a new world for me. And I have stepped into that world now. So I feel like I’ve got one foot in the writing sphere and one in the design sphere.

I’m constantly thinking of one or the other. I’m on holidays at the time of writing this and so, my focus has turned to my writing. Good timing because I had a short story duology coming out with Musa Publishing on the 29th June.

Both stories in Enchanted Realms have two worlds the characters find themselves in – one in dimension form, the other with the dream-reality divide.

STORMY DIVIDE - Will Ellie ever find a way home?

ANGEL EYES - What if the man of your dreams only existed in your dreams?



STORMY DIVIDE

Thom may be used to the dangers of the forest, but nothing has prepared him for this. When he stumbles across a woman dressed in weird clothing lying on the ground during a storm, he has no choice but to help her.

Ellie finds herself in another world, having travelled through time and space thanks to what Thom calls The Rifts. The question is whether she will ever be able to find her way back, or if she will be stuck in this new world forever. Or if she will even want to go home…

ANGEL EYES

Vera’s dreams are haunted each night by a man she only knows as Angel Eyes. He feels more real to her than anything else in her life, including her fiancé. Vera must try to forget her childish dreams of soul mates and happily ever after… but are they really only dreams or can she find a way to be with Angel Eyes forever?
So there you have it, stories of other worlds, coming out at a time when I have many of my own to juggle.

Eleni :-)

Leave a comment for a chance to win a download of Enchanted Realms About the Author: Eleni Konstantine is Fantasy and Paranormal fiction writer, and has had a number of shorts published. Her stories range from flash fiction to novels. She blames her mother for her writing bug because as a child she was given many books, including illustrated fairytales. That and a love of Greek mythology, and Eleni was destined to become a writer.

Eleni lives in Adelaide, Australia, with her family and feisty American Staffy.

Website: http://elenikonstantine.com
Blog:http://eleni-konstantine.blogspot.com

9 comments:

Mel Teshco said...

That you juggle your time so well (let's not mention the voluntary things you do!) is a credit to you! And I really enjoyed your stories! =))

Jenny Schwartz said...

Juggling worlds is a huge challenge -- and you do it with grace and humour :)

but you forgot the other worlds: the escape into a good book worlds. I couldn't survive without those :)

Eleni Konstantine said...

Ah, yes, Mel, the volunteering is another world. And thanks for letting me know you enjoyed my stories.

Jenny, the escape into book worlds is a the best. Recently I haven't reading at my normal pace and I've been missing my books. Very sad when you miss your book worlds.

Thanks for popping in ladies.

Rhea Rhodan said...

Your designs are beautiful, Elini! Keep it up. Somehow.

Joanna Fay said...

You seem to be doing very well with juggling your 'worlds', Eleni. :)

dustycrabtree said...

I've always found designing to be so interesting! It's such an art...and not just in the obvious artsy way. There's also a kind of science to it, I think. You've done great with yours!

Eleni Konstantine said...

Thanks, Rhea. I will or at least, I'll try :)

Eleni Konstantine said...

Thanks, Joanna. I actually made the decision this week to cut back the study hours so I can properly balance everything.

Dusty, thanks very much. I learn something every time I design, and hope to improve.

Thanks for visiting everyone.

Long and Short Reviews said...

Eleni has chosen Dusty Crabtree as the winner! Congratulations, Dusty.