Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, July 26, 2012



This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions. Danelle will be awarding a digital copy of book two, "The Beloved One" to one randomly drawn commenter at every stop and a $25 Amazon GC to one randomly drawn commenter during the tour.

First off, thank you so much for hosting me on your blog today; it's a pleasure and an honor to be here!

What have I learned from one of my characters? This is a great question! I've found that every book I've written has been a learning experience -- not just for my hero and heroine, most of whom are forced to grow in character throughout the story on their way to finding love and their happily-ever-afters, but for myself.

In THE WILD ONE (Book 1 of my de Montforte Brothers series about four aristocratic English brothers in Georgian era England) we first meet our hero, Lord Gareth de Montforte, as a young man who hasn't quite learned to grow up. As the third son of the fourth Duke of Blackheath, and brother of the current one, he's never had to learn the meaning of responsibility and has pretty much spent his life living down to his reputation as the black sheep of the family. Nobody expects anything from Lord Gareth, and he doesn't expect anything from himself, and why should he? He's the third brother ... not likely to inherit the dukedom. Nevertheless, he's a kind soul, a carefree, reckless, charming sort, even if he is rather short on maturity.

The Wild One is, first and foremost, a love story -- but it's also a fascinating look at Lord Gareth's journey from lovable wastrel to true and worthy hero. When he takes a bullet while trying to thwart a stagecoach robbery, his impulsive act of heroism lands him with a wife and infant daughter he's ill-prepared to support, and sets in motion events that force him to not only learn the meaning of responsibility, but mold him into the worthy husband and father he is destined to be.

I must confess that when I was writing his and Juliet's story, and saw him getting mired deeper and deeper in danger and trouble and what looked to be a pretty hopeless situation, I didn't think there was a way he'd be able to rise above it and reach his true potential. But he had faith in himself, and if he taught me anything (besides the value in not taking ones' self too seriously!), it's that with the right attitude, we can accomplish pretty much anything we set our minds to ... and that life can be a fun and wild ride indeed.

It's all about the attitude. Thank you, Lord Gareth, for reminding me of that essential truth!

I hope you all enjoy THE WILD ONE and the other books in the de Montforte Brothers series, including THE BELOVED ONE, THE DEFIANT ONE, and THE WICKED ONE. Again, it's been a delight to be here today ... happy reading!

About the Author:Multi-award winning and critically acclaimed author Danelle Harmon is the author of ten books, previously published in print and distributed in many languages throughout the world. A Massachusetts native, she married her English husband while living in the United Kingdom, and both now make their home in Massachusetts with their daughter Emma and numerous animals including four dogs, an Egyptian Arabian horse, and a flock of pet chickens.

Danelle welcomes email from her readers and can be reached at , on the web at, or through her Facebook page at

"The bluest of blood, the boldest of hearts; the de Montforte brothers will take your breath away."

England, 1776: Lord Gareth de Montforte is known as an irresponsible rake with a heart of gold. When he takes a bullet for boldly thwarting a stagecoach robbery, he is stunned to discover that the beautiful young woman he has heroically rescued, Juliet Paige, is his deceased brother’s American fiancĂ©e, accompanied by her infant daughter. Despite his brother the duke's refusal to acknowledge Juliet, Gareth is determined to do right by the courageous woman who crossed an ocean to give her baby her rightful name. But Juliet is wary of marrying this black sheep aristocrat, even while she is hopelessly charmed by the dashing devil. Never has she met anyone who embraces life so thoroughly, who makes her laugh, who loves her so well. And, even when it seems the odds are against them, Juliet has absolute faith that Gareth will go beyond the call of duty, risking his life itself to give her and her daughter a home — and a love that will last a lifetime.


marybelle said...

That is a good question. I love how your characters have such depth.


Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting Danelle today.

Debby said...

Interesting post. I love how you described your characters. I have not read the first book yet. I see I must change that.
debby236 at gmail dot com

danelleharmon said...

Thank you, Marybelle and Debby! Character development is something I find immensely fascinating, and I work very, very hard on it ... I see my characters as "3-D," and I want my readers to see them that way, too!

-- Danelle

Ingeborg said...

I'm looking forward to reading the whole series.

Karen H in NC said...

Of all the characters you have developed for all your books, do you have a favorite character? Do you have a favorite book?

I think I liked Lucien and The Wicked One best. I thought he took the toppling from his pedestal very the end!

kareninnc at gmail dot com

danelleharmon said...

Thanks, Ingeborg!

Karen, you know, I don't really think I *do* have a favorite book or character. In the past, I've said that Lord Charles was my favorite amongst the de Montfortes, but that's probably not entirely fair, as I love them all for different reasons. And, I fell in love with Damon all over again from Wicked At Heart as I revised that book to bring it both up to date for today's readers, and, as an e-book ... and I'm falling in love all over again with Brendan of Captain of My Heart as I start going into his book. So this is a really tough question to answer! :)

Thank you for weighing in on your favorite, though! Lucien did indeed take his "toppling" quite well, and oh, it was fun to see it happen, ha! He's proven to be very popular, and that makes me very happy indeed!

ad0ffae6-78f6-11e1-8cde-000bcdcb5194 said...

That is a compelling idea, learning from your characters. Gareth sounds very compelling.