Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, June 8, 2012

GUEST BLOG: SAMANTHA GRACE

Photobucket



What is it about the Regency time period that most appeals to you?


Reading Regency historical romance is an escape for me. The times were very different then, so there isn’t a lot that reminds me of everyday life. There’s no mention of grocery shopping, dishes to wash, errands to run, or phone calls to make. There are no parent-teacher-student conferences the characters are rushing to after a long day at the office. It’s a nice break from the hectic, modern world. It’s like an adult fairytale in a way.


What I enjoy most about writing Regency is the challenge of building my own world while still trying to make it fit in with what most Regency readers expect. There’s a balancing act of trying to interest readers new to the subgenre without alienating longtime readers of Regency romance. I also enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out how something in the plot can happen given the social, medical, and technological limits of the time period.


What is the hardest part of writing for you?


There are many parts that can be hard: writing under a deadline, keeping up with an accelerated release schedule, juggling being a mom/wife/employee/author, revising again and again in a short amount of time, not allowing criticism to get me down, staying healthy when a lot of my day can be spent sitting. But the truth is I still love writing more than any other job I’ve ever had. I know how lucky I am to be able to follow my dream. I don’t take it for granted.


The biggest challenge for me, however, is getting the first draft written. I feel confident I can make a story that’s at least halfway cohesive if I have something to work with, but a blank page is no help at all. The best thing for me to do is keep going unless I get a strong sense the story has veered off in the wrong direction. Then I may need to take a day or two—no longer—to hash it out in my mind before picking the story up again.


About the Author:
Samantha enjoys life in Wisconsin with her husband, two kids, and a multitude of characters which spring from her imagination. When she isn’t working as a clinical social worker, writing, or slowly hammering away at her long to-do list, she likes attending pilates classes, getting manicures and pedicures with her daughter, and being in the great outdoors.


Her debut book Miss Hillary Schools a Scoundrel received a starred review from Publishers Weekly. To learn more about Samantha’s bachelors, visit www.samanthagraceauthor.com. You may also find her on Facebook and Twitter, or blogging with fellow authors at www.ladyscribes.blogspot.com.


Jake broke her heart by leaving for the country after sharing a passionate kiss.
Lady Amelia broke his by marrying his best friend.


When she returns to town a widow – pursued by an infamous rake, Jake’s debauched brother, and just maybe by Jake himself – Lady Amelia will have a mess and a half on her hands.


A sparkling romp through the ton, Lady Amelia’s Mess and a Half delivers a witty Regency romance in which misunderstandings abound, reputations are put on the line, and the only thing more exciting than scandal is true love.

8 comments:

Karen H in NC said...

I have copies of both of these books by Samantha Grace. Since they are a series, I will probably wait to start reading until I have all books in hand...but maybe not. I love the titles she's given her stories.

Samantha Grace said...

Aw, thank you, Karen!

You have a lot more patience than I do. I like to crack the cover of the books I have as soon as possible. :)

Diane D - Florida said...

I adore Historical Romance books. I love to be swept away to another time and place where people lived laughed and loved and were finding their way to each other. I love to attend the balls with them, and imagine that the handsome hero is asking me for a waltz and also if he can call on me the next morning. I could just go on and on about what I love about these books. I thank God for you Authors who make my reading experiences so very enjoyable.

Congratulations on the release of "Lady Amelia's Mess and a Half" Samantha.

dpd333 (at) aol dot com

Samantha Grace said...

Thank you, Diane. :)

You did a beautiful job of expressing what I too love about regency romance. Have a great weekend!

Lisa Wolff said...

That is exactly what I love about reading Regencies. I enjoy being immersed in a time so different that today. I often think I would have liked to have lived then, as long as I was wealthy, but then I always remember all the convieneces of today and can instead, be grateful for authors like you to transport me there instead for a while :)

sheila said...

I love historical Regency. I always put myself in as the heroine and dream about the hero taking me away from all my troubles....

ellaquinnauthor said...

Very nice interview. Congratulations on your books.

Sheree said...

Congrats on your new release!

Since I think of Romances as fairytales for grownups, what's more "once upon a time" than Once upon a time in Regency England?

ironss [at] gmail [dot] com