Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012



Oh How I Love the “What ifs?”

The “What ifs?” How cool are they? They seem to run my whole life. When cooking, I wonder what if I use pepperoni instead of bacon? When traveling, what if I take the country road instead of the interstate? When working with a writer as an Author Success Coach, I always ask what if we look some place completely different for book buyers? The “What ifs” make all the difference in being different … and standing apart as a writer is the only way to get noticed.

Urban Fantasy falls right under that category of “What ifs” for me. Even as a child I was looking for the strange and unusual, a way to creatively explain the unexplainable and seek out the fantasy. Urban Fantasy is the fantasy right there in our real, urban, everyday world and that’s what makes it so exciting. When I decided to write Urban Fantasy, I discovered that these ever present questions went deeper than real life. They took me into the ideas presented by previous authors and accepted as undeniable truths. I wanted to know what new ideas could come simply by asking … what if?

I wanted all the fun creatures in my Urban Fantasy series – fairies, pixies, trolls, werewolves, shape-shifters and yes, even vampires. At the time, I was living in Los Angeles and trust me, seeing the unexpected is nothing unusual there. I clearly remember leaving a client’s office in West Hollywood and walking to my car when I noticed something strange across the street. A very small man, most likely a little person, walked up to the door of what appeared to be an abandoned warehouse. He looked left then right then suspiciously slunk into the darkness. And I wondered …

What if that man was a leprechaun? Why was he going into the dilapidated building? Were there other supernatural and fantastical creatures in there? Werewolves? Gnomes? A few creatures we never heard of before? What if there were all dead supernaturals? Are there dead – really dead – vampires in there too?

By the time I climbed into my car and started the ignition, my mind was racing. Why would dead supernatural creatures be living in an old warehouse? What happens to a vampire after he finally dies? Sitting on the 405 (the Los Angeles Freeway SURE to be influenced by supernatural influences because nobody gets anywhere fast, no matter how many lanes they add to it) I had to face my real creative dilemma. Anne Rice taught us all that when a vampire dies, he simply flakes away. Contemporary writers like Charlaine Harris continue that sad “final death” concept for vampires. But … but … what if?

What if some vampires actually don’t just flake away into an ashy mist of nothingness? What if a few chosen vampires actually get one more chance to earn redemption? And what if my twice-baked vampire (he already had a name – Gabriel Strickland), discovered that when he thought it was all finally over, instead he must live out purgatory in a West Hollywood warehouse with several other dead supernaturals … all trying to earn brownie points for a ticket through the Pearly Gates, against their natures of course. Oh, what fun that would be!

I knew before I reached my own driveway that there would be five books in the series, I knew it would be a humorous adventure covering all the lessons my handsome twice-baked vampire would need to learn. I knew there’d be romance and danger, mistakes galore and a lot of twisted mythology. And, as an Author Success Coach, I knew I had tapped into the current market with the unique “what if” elements that would make the series unique and entertaining.

Oh, I’m one of those people who love the … What Ifs.

About the Author:
Deborah Riley-Magnus is an author and an Author Success Coach. She has a twenty-seven year professional background in marketing, advertising and public relations as a writer for print, television and radio. She writes fiction and non-fiction.

Deborah produces several pieces weekly for various websites. She also writes an author industry blog and teaches online and live workshops as The Author Success Coach. She belongs to several writing and professional organizations. Since January 2011, she’s had two Urban Fantasy novels and a non-fiction, Finding Author Success, released through Central Avenue Publishing.

She’s lived on both the east and west coast of the United States and has traveled the country widely.


I blog -

I teach -

I fiction –

I write -

I play -

I tweet –

I facebook -

I should be sooo tired!

Urban Fantasy, Book 1 of the “Twice-Baked Vampire Series”, Cold in California

What really happens after a vampire finally dies? Heaven? Hell? Nope, purgatory in a West Hollywood warehouse. Go figure. Cold in California playfully proposes that even the worst of the supernatural world gets one more chance at redemption … and now reluctant twice-baked vampire Gabriel Strickland, must face a whole new meaning for good and evil.




Urban Fantasy, Book 2 of the “Twice-Baked Vampire Series”, Monkey Jump

Twice-Baked Vampire, Gabriel Strickland, only appears to be handing his life after double-death well. New developments, a waylaid training trip and an Alaskan village filled with the oldest vampires on the planet present all the concerns – and twisted Arthorian lure – he can handle. Secrets must be kept, Gabriel must protect Dori, the love of his life, and his own path to paradise. Well hell, this can’t be good. Find Monkey Jump at Amazon, Nook, Kobo

Non-Fiction, Finding Author Success: Discovering and Uncovering the Marketing Power within Your Manuscript

Change in the publishing industry is everywhere and publishers are leaving marketing and promotion up to the author. Many authors are aware they need to promote and market their book, but have no clue how to go about it. There are hundreds of resources on how to create characters and develop plot, format book proposals and pitch; but very few on how an author implements success after the book is finished. The questions can be overwhelming and locating the answers is tricky. Deborah Riley-Magnus, an author success coach with years of successful marketing and promotion experience, takes tried and true marketing, publicity and promotional strategies and tailors them for the unique needs of today’s author. Even the odds of your success with this unique resource for all authors.




No comments: