Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Tuesday, April 24, 2012


This post is part of a Virtual Book Tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions. Click on the banner to see the rest of her stops. Karen is giving away a $25 Amazon GC to one randomly drawn commenter during the tour.

What scares me most about being an author?
There are two things that scare me about being an author. First, it bothers me when people make the assumption that everything I have written is autobiographical and based on my life. I’ve written some zany things, including a book, The Incredibly Awesome Adventures of Puggie Liddell, about siblings, who travel back in time. I can assure you that, as similar as my brother and I may be to the characters of Puggie and Gigi Liddell, we have never traveled back in time. In my book, Where is Wonderland Anyway, Alice Sparrow accidently kills her abusive boyfriend and goes on the run. A reader actually emailed me and asked me if I had been in an abusive relationship. When I emailed her back and told her that I hadn’t, I got the feeling she didn’t believe me! I can assure you, I’ve never killed anyone, accidently or otherwise! I am a college professor, like Amy Campbell in One Last Class but I’ve never dated a former teen idol. I’ve gone through the dissertation process, like Lucinda Starr in Twyla’s Last Trip, but my mother was not a famous country singer and she is still alive and well and living in Florida. I won't even consider censoring myself and my writing because I’m afraid someone will think what I’ve written is a reflection of my real life.

I’m 45 years old and I feel like I’ve still got a lifetime of ideas that need to be written. It scares me to think that I may not have the time to write everything I want to write. Most people don’t enjoy thinking about their own mortality but when I do, I usually think about it in terms of my writing. Will I have enough time to produce work that will be lasting? Will I be able to make an impact? I sacrifice so much time, energy and resources to write and produce work of quality, what if all of the sacrifice ends up being meaningless and no one appreciates my work except for me? It would be like throwing a big party and not having any guest show up. I want readers to “show up” and enjoy what I’ve written.

About the Author:
Karen Mueller Bryson is an award-winning screenwriter, produced playwright and published novelist. She has been writing since she learned to read and fell in love with books! Karen is the creator of Short on Time Books, a series of fast-paced and fun novels for readers on the go. When she’s not at her computer creating new stories, Karen enjoys spending time with her husband and their bloodhounds.

Find the author online at:

Short on Time Books:

In the romantic comedy, One Last Class, thirty-two year old, Zak Spencer, is a washed-up teen idol, who decides to rebuild his life by returning to college in Arizona. Trouble ensues when Zak falls in love with the young professor, Amy Campbell, who teaches the one class he needs to complete his degree.
In the romantic comedy, Twyla’s Last Trip, twenty eight-year old, Lucinda Starr is an uptight research psychologist, whose deadline to complete her doctoral dissertation is completely derailed by her estranged mother, Twyla Starr's sudden death. Lucinda must take her mother's ashes on a road trip on Route 66, in order to fulfill the requirements of her will and inherit her fortune. To make matters worse, Lucinda finds herself forced to travel across the country with her mother's easygoing country lawyer, T.J. Yates, who drives her crazy,and his drooling bloodhound, Dakota, who Lucinda finds revolting.


marybelle said...

Two excellent points. Some of the books I have read could never be from the author's life experiences. I also hope that you feel totally fulfilled as a writer before your time comes.


Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting Karen today.

karenmbryson said...

Thank you so much for hosting me today! I appreciate it!

MomJane said...

I think all writers use some of the actual experiences they have lived through, varied a little, but that is about it. I think you have written a fascinating story.

bas1chs said...

Most of the time I like reading books from the author's experience because it is more realistic - the author's feelings really come across and seems less contrived.

Thanks for having Karen on your blog today.
bas1chsemail at gmail dot com

Catherine Lee said...

Hi Karen! Would it really be so bad if no one appreciated your work but you? As a librarian, I sometimes think that maybe no one appreciates what I do...and then I think that I would love it anyway, even if no one did appreciate it. It's nice to get some positive feedback and recognition, but that's really just icing on the cupcake!