Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, March 1, 2012


My New York Times Bestselling Viking romance, CAPTIVE HEART, was a February release from Samhain Publishing in their new Retro Romance line. Fans of historical romance have been asking for ebook editions of their favorites, and I’m thrilled CAPTIVE HEART will be read and loved again.

CAPTIVE HEART is definitely a book of my heart. When I pitched the story to Leslie Gelbman, my editor at Kensington, she explained they’d found stories set out of the United States and medieval timeframes didn’t sell well. I believed in the book anyway. She finally advised, “Go ahead and write the book if that’s truly what’s in your heart, and if I don’t like it, I won’t buy it.” She loved it and Kensington promoted the book with such enthusiasm it was their first New York Times bestseller.

I bought the spectacular Pino cover painting and redecorated my bedroom in a delicious mauve to give it a romantic setting. Pino, who passed away in 2010, did some of the most beautiful covers ever. You’ll see his work on many of my books on my website:

To gather background for the book, I traveled through Scandinavia and visited museums displaying thousand-year-old artifacts. There is a Viking ship museum in Roskilde, Denmark, with five ships excavated from the harbor in 1962. They were purposely sunk in 1070 to protect the town from invasion. Preserved by the frigid sea, they are in superb condition and displayed in a building adjacent to the water. Standing beside them, I felt an eerie sensation, as though the ships were haunted by the spirits of the brave men who’d sailed them. When I returned home, I had a wealth of material to use in my writing.

I write adventure stories filled with romance. If you love heroes with heart as well as muscles, and heroines strong enough to tame them, then you’re sure to find CAPTIVE HEART a delight to read. I love to hear from fans. Please send me an email with your thoughts:

Please comment here for a chance to win an ebook or print copy (United States only) of CAPTIVE HEART.

About the Author:
Always a passionate lover of books, this New York Times bestselling author first answered a call to write in 1980 and swiftly embarked on her own mythic journey. Her first book, LOVE’S ELUSIVE FLAME, was a Zebra historical in 1983. Her 33rd book, a contemporary, DEFY THE WORLD TOMATOES was a November 2010 release from Samhain. Her 34th, WHERE DREAMS BEGIN, debuted at #1 on Samhain’s Romantic Suspense bestsellers list in June, 2011. With more than seven million copies in print of her historical, contemporary and futuristic books written under her own name as well as her pseudonym, Cinnamon Burke, she is as enthusiastic as ever about writing.

A native Californian, Phoebe attended the University of Arizona and California State University at Los Angeles where she earned a BA in Art History and an MA in Education. Her books have won Romantic Times Reviewer’s Choice Awards and a nomination for Storyteller of the Year. Her futuristic, STARFIRE, won a RomCom award as best Futuristic Romance of the year. She is a member of Romance Writers of America, Novelists Inc., PEN, and

She is the proud mother of two grown sons and one adorable grandson, who loves to have her read to him.

Celiese d’Loganville lives in a shadow. Though she is the beloved handmaiden of a Viking lord’s daughter, it matters little. She is a slave in a gilded cage who tells no one of the violent Viking raid that haunts her memories. Or the daily nightmare her life has become.

When her mistress refuses to wed a man rumored to be horribly disfigured, Celiese seizes her one chance for freedom. Maybe even love. No one needs to know the face behind the veil is an imposter.

Mylan has no need of a wife who’d pity him. But the enchanting and perplexing young woman presented to him boldly ignores his scars even as her eyes betray a nameless fear. Rousing within him a need to soothe her with a gentleness she didn’t expect…and seduce her with tender persuasion.

When treachery parts them at dawn, Celiese finds herself in a fight for her life, for her dream of home and family…and to regain Mylan’s shattered trust and love.


Debby said...

I would love to visit that museum in Denmark. I bet it was fascinating. I am adding it to my list.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Na said...

The background research you did for your book sounds very fun and informative. I've been in a museum and seen thousands-years old artifacts and I always like imagining how they were used and by who. The ship museum is one I want to see.

Congratulations on your re-release.