Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, March 2, 2012


Exercise. Hate It. Help!

This post is proudly a stop on the TEXAS TWO STEP Blog Tour. For a complete listing of all stops on this tour, please visit here. All contests are for U.S. residents only unless otherwise noted. Comments left on this blog will be counted toward the Texas Two Step Faithful Follower Gift Certificate. To see a complete listing of Blog Tour Prizes, click here. Be sure to check out the freebies. Yours for the asking as long as they last.
As a form of physical education (and probably to use up our excess energy), my fourth grade teacher taught the class to square dance. I was in heaven. First, I loved having a reason to hold hands with the boys. Second, it was simply fun.

In high school, I talked a friend into taking ballroom dancing with me. (Thanks, Lon Weyland.) It was a blast. I’d been holding hands with guys for a while so that didn’t have anything to do with the experience. Again, it was simply fun. I enjoyed the music, the movement and the laughter when we got the steps right and when we got them wrong.

The best physical shape I was ever in was in college. I danced all the time. Dancing at fraternity parties or dancing with the other girls in the dorm, it didn’t matter. I just wanted to dance.

What I have discovered over my lifetime is dancing is the only form of exercise I like. Seriously. I tried every form and style of exercise to find one that I would do regularly and what I come to accept is…I hate to exercise.

I need to lose weight, not just to make my clothes feel looser and fit better but to improve my health and life span. So you may by muttering to yourself, no problem. Go dancing and you’ll get your exercise. Great advice except somehow I managed to marry a man who does not dance! None. Nada. Zip. So that option is out.

In my recent release, Texas Two Step, I gave my heroine, Olivia Montgomery, a gym to own. I wanted her to be in great shape but I didn’t want a heroine who was naturally thin. I hate those heroines, probably because I’ll never be naturally thin. :-) Olivia is in great shape because she works out, teaches kickboxing classes, leads aerobics classes, and serves as a personal exercise coach. I tried the personal trainer route for about eighteen months. I got stronger but not thinner. Kickboxing and aerobics are out of the picture. I have one artificial knee and one original knee that is in bad condition.

My hero from Texas Two Step, Mitch Landry, is in great shape but he’s a cowboy. He lives on the back of horse, hauls calves around for medical care, wrestles stubborn cattle into the right chute, and rescues strays. His life is daily exercise.

So let me tell you everything I’ve tried. I’d love some suggestions for other activities to try.

I’ve tried the personal trainer route. Too expensive for my current financial status.

Joined a gym to use their equipment. Didn't go often enough to make it worthwhile.

Jogged/walked three to five miles a day. But I had a partner, which helped me stay on course, but now my knees won’t tolerate this. In fact, walking an extended distance will make my knee swell.

Set up a recumbent bike, treadmill AND complete weight gym at my house. Most of it serves as secondary clothes hanger.

I recently have been trying water aerobics but it’s so time consuming. I’ll admit the classes have been fun but making me go has been the issue. I just don’t have the time. While the class is only an hour long, by the time I’ve taken my dogs out to do their morning business, get dressed for class, drive there, do the class, drive home, take a shower and get dressed for the day, it’s time for lunch. I find myself finally sitting down to write at one p.m. having lost the entire morning for an hour long class.

So talk to me. How can I fool myself into exercising? What have you found works well for you? Where can I find a dance partner? :-)

Today’s Blog Tour Prize

Many guest bloggers can offer a copy of a backlist book to be given away as a potential prize for a blog commenter. As a debut author, I don’t have a backlist. But I do have some awesome author friends who have stepped forward and offered one of their books as a prize.

Today’s TTS Blog Tour Author Sponsor is Best Selling Author Delilah Devlin. Delilah will send her latest Samhain release, Lone Heart to one lucky person who leaves a comment. To find out more about today’s Blog Tour Sponsor, you can visit her Website, Twitter or Facebook.

To learn more about me check out these links:

Website, Facebook, Twitter, Group Blog,and Personal Blog.

And if those aren’t enough, sign up for inside scoops and special contests by receiving the newsletter I share with my blog buddies.

Remember! Leave a comment for a chance to win Delilah’s book!

Texas Two Step is available at Samhain, Amazon, and

I will be forever in your debt if you would buy it!



Debby said...

My husband does not dance either and I love to. I wanted to take ballroom dancing but he does not. I recently bought some dance exercise videos. I am going to try them.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Cynthia D'Alba said...

Hi Debby. I went dancing on Wednesday night. I discovered that after 20+ years of non-dancing, I've lost my rhythm! I loved ballroom dancing.

Thanks for coming by

Dawn said...

My husband will not dance either. I would love to have a dance partner for any kind of dance. Learning to dance is like a dream of learning to play the piano or learning how to ski. If only..

Stacie said...

I tend to get injured when I excercise so I have had to find low-impact exercises. I do a little Pilates and Yoga. I don't need to lose weight but I do need to build muscle.

I think dance routine exercises would be perfect for you. I can't help you find a cute dance partner though. ;)

geishasmom73 AT yahoo DOT com

Shelley Munro said...

Dancing sounds like a fun way to exercise. I don't actually mind exercise. It's the eating thing I have to get sorted!

I walk our puppy twice a day and cycle. When my butt gets sore from sitting at the computer I'll grab my hula hoop. The Wii Fit program is also fun, although I haven't done that for a while.

Cynthia D'Alba said...

Hi Dawn. I watched dancing with the stars last season. I remembered how much work dancing is! But not gonna happen. :)

Hi Stacie. I've been thinking about trying Yoga. I need to lose weight AND build muscle. I was quite sad when I realized I've i exercise. I have the Wii Fit program but I have done it in a long time either

Thanks ladies for coming by and leaving a message.

Joanne said...

Dancing sounds like a lot of fun. You can also try Pilates. Sorry, other than that, I just walk. Congrats on the new release.


Cynthia D'Alba said...

The Faithful Follower Contest is closed.

The book winner is...DEBBY236