Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, February 20, 2012

GUEST BLOG: KAT MARTIN

All time favorite movies?


Since Academy Awards Night is one of my favorite evenings, I thought it might be fun to talk movies. Old favorites, new favorites, worst picks of all time. Let’s start with the positive. Who doesn’t love ET? Star Wars? Gone with the Wind? Wizard of Oz? They’re classics, never to be forgotten.

Sometimes I look back and realize some of the books I’ve written were probably inspired by films I had seen and loved. Gone with the Wind, at least the pre-civil war time in the South, elegant hoop skirts and Georgia mansions led to Captain’s Bride and Creole Fires. I went on to follow Creole Fires with Savannah Heat and Natchez Flame. Actually stayed in a gorgeous old plantation house in Natchez built in the 1840’s.

I’m a Star Trek fan, a total Trekie. Maybe that’s how I got interested in UFO’s and wound up writing Season Of Strangers. I did a ton of research for that one and was amazed to find myself convinced there’s a very good possibility UFOs are real.

I love Western movies. Quigley Down Under with Tom Selleck is a personal all-time favorite (if you haven’t seen Tom in a pair of chaps you are really missing out!). There’s a scene in my book, The Secret, a modern-day Western set in Montana, that was definitely inspired by the movie. I’m excited that the publisher is re-issuing the book next year.

I loved True Grit, both versions, love some of the great old Westerns like Wagon Master, Wagons West, Brigham Young. My husband, who still writes Western novels, and I belong to Western Writers of America. We love attending the conferences and plan to be in Albuquerque, New Mexico mid-June this year.

I love high action adventure movies. Old ones like The African Queen with Humphrey Bogart and Kathryn Hepburn, new ones like Taken, with Liam Neeson. The plot for my new book, Against the Night, may have developed from the abduction theme of the movie.

Against the Night is Johnnie Riggs’s story, a fish out of water tale about a kindergarten teacher who braves the LA underworld to find her missing sister. It’s clear Amy needs help, and John Riggs is just the man for the job. Unfortunately, Johnnie is more interested in Amy’s luscious little body than the money she can’t afford to pay him.

It’s a romp that starts on L.A.’s Sunset Strip and travels all the way to the tropical jungles of Belize, a fast-paced, high-action, hot-blooded adventure I’m hoping readers will enjoy half as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Johnnie is a hunk and the cover of the book looks just like him. I hope you’ll watch for Against the Night and other of the books in my AGAINST series. Out the end of May is AGAINST THE SUN, Jake Cantrell’s story, another fast-paced, heart-pounding tale.

In the meantime, have fun and happy reading.

Warmest,

Kat

About the Author:
For New York Times bestselling author Kat Martin, a career in real estate led her down the road to romance.

Through real estate, Kat found her own perfect match--her husband, Western author Larry Jay Martin.

"We were on opposing sides of a transaction--I represented the seller and he represented the buyer," Kat recalls.

A short time after the two became acquainted, Larry asked her to read an unpublished manuscript of an historical western he'd written. Kat fell in love with both the book and the author!

"It was quite a romantic story," she admits. "I'd still like to see it get published." Then, after doing some editing for her future husband, she thought she'd try her own hand at writing.

Kat moved on to become the bestselling author of over fifty historical and contemporary romance novels. To date, 12 million copies of her books are in print, and she's been published around the globe, including Germany, Norway, Sweden, China, Korea, Bulgaria, Russia, England, Estonia, Lithuania, South Africa, Italy, Poland, Thailand, Portugal, Turkey, The Slovak Republic, Spain, Argentina, Estonia, Czech Republic and Greece.

When she's not writing, Kat also enjoys skiing and traveling, particularly to Europe. Currently, she's busy writing her next book.

Check out Kat's website: www.KatBooks.com
Like her on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kat-Martin/322579975013
Enjoy her book video:

Leave a comment to be entered into a drawing for a copy of Against the Night--winner's choice of Nook, Kindle, or paperback. Photobucket

5 comments:

Debby said...

Hi Kat, I love your books and can't wait for this one.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Green Orchid said...

It sounds like a real nail biter and then there's the hunk as well what could be better.

Dawn said...

Sounds very intriging..but then again, all of your books are great!! Thanks for sharing :)


staniszeski3824@comcast.net

Na said...

I've tuned in to the Academy Awards a few times and I enjoy seeing my favorite movies win or just learning about new ones to watch. Titanic and The Notebook is one of my favorite because I like seeing the historical detail.

Thanks for sharing a video trailer of Against the Night.

Cambonified[at]yahoo[dot]com

Kat Martin said...

Hi, Guys! I'm looking forward to Academy awards night this sunday--one of my favorite nights of the year. I'll be watching from 1:30 on and rooting for my favorites! kat