Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, February 2, 2012

GUEST BLOG: JOYA FIELDS

Thanks very much for hosting me today on LASR to chat about girlfriends and friendships. I’ve been lucky enough to have lots of girlfriends in my life. Through my school years, I had what I’d consider close friends, but never a best friend. I envied girls who were so close that everyone knew instantly that they were “besties.” I also came to realize that the reason I was never drawn to that tight of a girlfriend relationship was because I had built-in best friends: my two sisters.

My sisters and I are close in age—one is two years younger, and the other five—and the age difference disappeared once we became adults. However, I must admit, I am still the bossy older sister. Since they’re both taller than I am, I don’t think I intimidate them much, though.

We’ve done some really cool things together, and I think it’s the sort of things that besties do. First and foremost, we’re there for each other for the happiest of times, and the toughest of times. We offer a shoulder to cry on, a hug when things are rough, and a high-five and girl’s night out on the town to celebrate the great stuff.

There’s something about the support of sisters, too. An unconscious connection. My sisters are both runners, and talked me into trying it out. Before long, we were running races together. My youngest sister always won—she’s speedy. I take full credit for her speed because I think I taught her to be fast by chasing her when we were little.

Then it was my turn to try a marathon. 26.2 miles and a goal of completing it in under four hours. My sister helped me train for months, jogging beside me for hours. When marathon weekend arrived, she got a babysitter for her little girl, traveled to Washington, DC, with me, spent the night in a hotel with me to ensure a good night’s rest before the big day, and then cheered me on from different spots along the route. She met me at the finish line with a big smile and a water bottle.

This, I’m guessing, is what best friends do. Share in the journey of an accomplishment, and help celebrate the milestones and victory. Or cry along when things don’t go as planned.

In my debut novel, my heroine, Brooke, heads to Florida to spend time with her best friend, Linda. Two years earlier, Brooke lost most of her leg in an accident, and Linda helped push Brooke through the pain and recovery. After a boat explosion in Florida leaves Linda injured, Brooke cancels all of her plans to be by Linda’s side, and find out who was behind the explosion. Of course, since this is romance, there’s a good-looking policeman involved in the situation, too.

That’s what friends are for, right? They’re by your side at the best of times, but more importantly, they’re by your side at the worst of times too. I’d love to hear about your best friend, or what you think is the best part of having friends. One lucky commenter will win an Ebook copy of my new romantic suspense, Beneath the Surface.

She’s fighting to stay independent—he’s determined to protect her no matter what…

Brooke Richards survived the earthquake that took her parents and most of her leg, but she needs time to regroup. A trip to Florida for a state-of-the art prosthesis and to visit her best friend Linda seems ideal. But the trip turns traumatic when Brooke witnesses Linda’s boat disintegrating in a fiery explosion.

Police Officer Garrett Ciavello believes the blast was intentionally set to hide something Linda found on a dive. When Brooke offers her expertise in underwater archaeology, Garrett accepts her help with the investigation. But since his fiancée’s death years ago, Garrett has become overprotective, and as they are drawn to each other, Garrett realizes he will risk anything to keep Brooke safe.

Brooke is fiercely independent. Garrett is fiercely protective. Will they heal each other’s wounds and find a killer…before it’s too late?
About the Author: Joya Fields has had over 100 stories and articles published in local and national magazines and her debut novel, BENEATH THE SURFACE, a romantic suspense, released in January, 2012. LOVE DELIVERED, a romantic comedy is now available.
Over the years, Joya has taught arts and crafts, worked in public relations, owned a daycare center, helped her children raise prize-winning 4-H livestock, competed in three marathons, and even spent a year as a Baltimore Colts cheerleader. Joya loves spending time with her high school sweetheart/husband of over twenty years, two very supportive children, and a pug who follows her everywhere.
Find her online at www.JoyaFields.com

19 comments:

Joya said...

Thanks very much for hosting me here today, Marianne and Judy. Great to be here chatting about the importance of friends. :)

Liz said...

Joya, great post. you are luck to have sisters who have developed into friends. great post and congrats on all your successes.

Joya said...

Hi Liz, I agree that I'm lucky to have sisters who are friends. Thanks very much for your congrats and for taking time to stop by today. :)

Christi Barth said...

See - people like you make me soooo sad that I'm an only child. I adore my best friend, but it is hard that she's on the other side of the country - even w/the wonders of modern technology. I'd love one right here in Maryland. Hard to acquire at my age, though.

Beth Trissel said...

Hi Joya~*waving. What a good post, very touching. My younger sister and I are very close, and my mom is my best friend...my daughters...and some of the women in my life. I don't know what I'd do without these vital relationships.

Vicki Batman said...

Hi, Joya. I have sisters too. We grew up as crafty kids and share this today.

And I have girlfriends who are like sisters. I am so fortunate to have in my life so many lovely ladies.

Congratulations on your book and story!

Joya said...

@Christi, That must be tough to have your bestie live on the other side of the country. I know for a fact that you have some really good friends locally, though. We're here for ya!:)

@Beth, *waving back* Wow, you've got it made having your younger sister, mom and daughters as friends. Lucky you! :)

@Vicki,Very cool that you and your sisters loved crafts growing up and still do them together now. You are definitely doubly blessed to have sisters you're close with and close girlfriends too. Lovely ladies is right. :)

Jan Romes said...

Nice blog post, Joya :-))

Sisters usually are our first friends & our best friends! They're an incredible support system that keeps us on the straight and narrow. They tell us like it is. And sometimes it's just fun to put them in headlocks!! *grins*

Best wishes for much success with Beneath the Surface & with your writing career!

Jan

Joya said...

You're so right about sisters being best friends (when we're lucky). LOL about headlocks. Thanks for your good wishes and for being one of my besties on Twitter. :)

Marian L said...

Joya, I've been very blessed. Three of my best friends and I have been friends for our whole lives. I've coined the phrase for us from the craddle to the grave. We were all born and raised in the same building, eveb our mothers were friends. We make sure to keep in touch with each other still to this day we're friends. Unconditional love and friendship. It's awesome. PS, I also have four sisters who are also my trusted friends and companions. Marian

Joya said...

Wow, Marian, you are one lucky lady! That kind of friendship is so rare, and it's incredible that the four of you have been friends your whole lives. You all must have awesome moms to set the friendship example for you like that. And on top of that, you have sisters you're close with, too?
Thanks for sharing your happy story of friendship today and best wishes for many more fun times with your friends and sisters. :)

Lynne Marshall said...

Hi Joya!
There is no way I could have survived breaking into writing without a best writer buddy. I have had several over the years, but have settled down to two or three very close buddies.

I honestly don't believe I could have made it to publication without my CP - Dee J Adams.

She's a writing buddy beyond compare.

I enjoyed your blog.

Joya said...

Hi Lynne, Sounds like you and Dee are very lucky to have each other. I know what you mean about CPs becoming close friends. I count my CPs as some of my most treasured friends, too.
Thanks very much for stopping by to comment and best wishes for continued success to you and Dee. :)

Debby said...

My sister is my best and I am happy to say that my three daughters are very close.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Joya said...

Wow, Debby! Sounds like you and your sister have set a great example for your daughters. Thanks very much for stopping by to comment today. :)

Vonnie Davis said...

Lovely post, Joya. My DIL is a runner, too. She competed in many half and full marathons. She and my son run the Army ten miler together. Now their 13 year-old runs with them. Loved hearing how your sisters support you in all things. Lovely, simply lovely.

Joya said...

Hi Vonnie,
Wow, that's super that your DIL and son run the Army 10-miler and that their son joins them for runs. That's a grueling, but fun race. I ran it once and the Army cadets had to run in their boots. Ouch!
Thanks so much for stopping by to comment and for all of your support. :)

Calisa Rhose said...

Your sisters sound amazing, Joya. I have one 2 yrs older sister and we're very close, too. She's mostly blind and deaf from an incurable disease, but her heart is huge and bountiful. She's come up with a business venture and somehow I'm roped into it and I know she'll make it fun even if we fail. She's my Bestie.
I can't wait to read Beneath the Surface! Pick me! Pick me! cmselfridge@gmail.com

Joya said...

Hi Calisa,
Sounds like your sister has a fabulous attitude about life. What a neat idea to go into a business venture together. Best wishes for many happy times together and I hope your busineess makes lots of profits, too.
Thanks very much for stopping by (and for wanting to read Beneath the Surface so much). :)