Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

GUEST BLOG: JASON BARRET

Something My Mother Once Said


I had struggled writing my first book for years and finally it was done. I was very proud of course so I had a few copies printed at a local print shop with the intention of presenting one to my wife, each of my daughters, and my mother. It was a surprise to my mother because I hadn’t told anyone that I was writing a book in fear that it would never come to fruition so one day I proudly walked into my Mom’s house and presented it. “Mom, I wrote a book,” I proudly said.

“Oh my God,” she said. “It’s not about us, is it?” Of course what she meant was, “It isn’t about our totally dysfunctional family, is it?”

So I said, “No, of course not. The family is entirely fictional.” That seemed to relieve her mind for a while but when she started to read it she asked the question again. I reassured her that it was a purely fictional family but the book remained just a coffee table book for some years to come.

It really wasn’t about our family but elements of our real life were bound to creep in somehow or somewhere. It’s unavoidable. They say write from what you know so writers do, and I don’t necessarily mean the exact events or family secrets or secret desires are included but the emotions brought about by the author’s experiences have to be in there somewhere. Those joys or scars have all left an indelible mark on our psyche and will affect our perception of the world and consequently effects how we write.

I am sure all of those things Mom didn’t want me to write about will eventually end up on the pages of one book or another. The fun part is only a few close friends or family can only hazard a guess about it and when they actually have the guts to ask I always tell them, “It’s a totally fictional family and no, that character isn’t you.” Of course I’m saying this while I’m wearing my tee shirt that reads, “Be careful what you say or you’ll end up in my next novel.” And then I smile.

Visit my site to enter my March Contest to win a Jason Barret Mug and a copy of my previously published book, Dead Or A Lie. About the Author:
Jason still lives in the quiet community where he grew up and met his high school sweet heart and wife, Janice. They have been married for 30 plus years and are the proud parents of two daughters, two grandsons, and a granddaughter on the way!

Jason is a member of the Romance Writers of America and a member of the Central New York Romance Writers where he served on the Career Development Committee and Treasurer. His first novel, Dead Or A Lie, a paranormal vampire romance, was published in 2010. His current novel, Saint’s Sword, is a prequel to Dead or A Lie.

Jason enjoys kayaking, cross country skiing, hiking and working on his 1972 MGB European sports car.

Visit Jason on the web at www.JasonBarret.com or contact him at Jason@jasonbarret.com.

1332 Eastern Europe: The worlds of God, Goddess and Satan collide in this epic tale of love, revenge and forgiveness.

Two years ago Nicolai’s life, as he knew it, ceased to exist. On that one horrific day his wife was murdered and his daughter abducted and he’s been on the hunt ever since. But the baggage he carries is heavy— guilt. Guilt of not being there when he was needed most. Guilt of believing he wasn’t the husband and father he should have been haunts his every waking moment but above all else he’s determined to rescue his daughter from the ruthless clutches of the vampire known as Lord Valnar and destroy him to avenge his wife’s death.

Kaira is also on the hunt. Barmaid by necessity and hunter by choice she too has been injured by these blood thirsty beasts. Kaira and her companion, Gustav, have been destroying Valnar’s legion of undead for years, but at a high cost—her heart. She’s already seen to many of her comrades fall prey to Valnar’s men and she’s vowed not to let her heart get in her way again. Gustav, the Preacher, has a much different goal. For him it’s neither revenge nor lost love. His only goal and pleasure in life is to hear the faint utterance of the word “free” as a soul is released when a vampire is destroyed.

Together, Nicolai, Kaira and Gustav join forces toward one common goal—destroying Valnar but when a battle goes terribly wrong and despite his vow to love no other Nicolai finds himself in Kiara’s arms.

After rescuing the witch, Jessica, she joins the group but finds herself at odds with Gustav and Kiara. Nevertheless she calls upon the Goddess to help them find the Saint’s Sword. Will they solve the mystery of Gardos and retrieve the sacred awe powerful Saint’s Sword from its guarded grave? When Nicolai hears whispers on the wind warning him of betrayal he begins to doubt everything and everyone around him and even though he is surrounded by his friends and lover he feels alone. Will he be betrayed by his lover, the preacher, the witch, the mercenary or his own heart?
Photobucket

9 comments:

Debby said...

The mystery sounds intriguing. Lots of questions
debby236 at gmail dot com

Maggie Shayne said...

It used to hurt my feelings that my mom didn't actually read any of my books. Now I think I know why. Our family put the "funk" in dysfunctional, so she was probably afraid I was writing my own therapy sessions. And she was right. (My Gram read them voraciously though, so no harm, no foul.) Great blog post, Jason! Thanks for the insight!

Dawn said...

Loved your interview..it made me laugh :) Your book sounds great..thanks for sharing!!

staniszeski3824@comcast.net

DANI HARPER said...

Great blog!
Love the premise of your book. Wishing you every success with it!

drakenfyre75 said...

Love the interview, best of luck with the series :)

eyeballlucy said...

The book sounds soo good...gotta read it soon

eyeballlucy said...

forgot to add my e-mail......babyruthmac16@yahoo.com

Nona Raines said...

Hi Jason! It's funny how we authors tend to incorporate some of our own family experiences into our stories. We have to disguise them though, don't we--or else no one would speak to us again! Thanks for a great post!

Jason Barret said...

Thank you all for your nice comments. I really enjoyed writing this blog. It was kinda like taking a trip home again. Don't forget to enter my contest at: http://www.jasonbarret.com/5.html