Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, January 26, 2012


This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions. Please click on the banner for a complete list of tour stop. Kat will be awarding a gift basket worth over $15 of Irish items to one randomly drawn commenter (US/Canada only please).
Please tell us a little about yourself...

I'm a creation extremist and avid explorer of knowledge. I value creativity, am a non-conformist and a die-hard do-it-yourselfer. When I turn my attention to a topic, I explore it thoroughly, turning over every convention, questioning and examining in a Socratic way until I understand. And then I seek out ways to share what I’ve learned with others. I have a variety of interests and friends who often fall into factions that can’t seem to understand one another except that they all have a common friend in me. I’m a naturally optimistic person and have trouble understanding human emotions of greed and anger. I believe that negative emotions like these are due to some underlying fear that, once confronted, can be overcome.

Please tell us a little about your book....

Stalked by a killer bent on stealing her laboratory notebook, scientist Molly Augur is desperate to figure out who she can and cannot trust. With the help of co-researcher Bill Banely, she uses DNA technology she invented to prove she can release hidden ancestral memories. In the brain synapses of her mind she finds one person who may know the truth - her long dead ancestor, Mailsi, whose life memories have been recorded in the depths of Molly’s genes.

Ancient passions and betrayals come alive and collide with the present when Molly discovers philanthropist Dr. Philman, with a secret billion dollar need for the technology only she possesses could be the one after her notebook. And Bill, whose wandering heart she has finally won, is working for Philman. In the face of limitless money, what is the value of Bill’s love? Or the value of her life? The answers lie deep within the synapses of her mind.

What inspired you to pen this particular novel?

I had one of those "what if" moments when I thought about all the as yet unidentified genes in DNA and what knowledge they might hold. Scientists speculate that all of those genes that are now inactive were at one time actively being used. I wondered what they were used for and whether unlocking them would reconnect us with our ancestors and their memories. Synapse explores some interesting possibilities for our own DNA to help us understand who we truly are. It also shows us that no matter what we learn about the past, it is our own choices right now that create our future.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I first considered myself a writer in high school when I wrote a poem that was read aloud to the class. Before that I hadn't really written anything that was delivered to an audience. When the class commented positively on the poem and asked me questions to explore its meanings, writing suddenly had a whole new aspect for me: entertaining readers. I was hooked.

How do you keep your story flowing?

With action. For me the most engaging stories have lots of things happening. By that I don't mean violent fights, car chases and thrilling roller coaster rides. I want the characters to be doing something, not sitting around thinking. Even when Molly and Bill are thinking about what's happened to them, or trying to figure out what to do next, they are busy doing things.

Do you ever run into writer's block, and if so, what do you do to get past it?

I've only once run into writer's block and I turned to my part time writing partner for help. I was having trouble finishing a manuscript set in medieval Scotland. I just got stuck about a third of the way through. No problem, I just shifted my attention to other projects thinking the words would come when they were ready. But they didn't and many months went by before I could face that manuscript. After he wrote a synopsis of the story in modern terms, I was able to push through and see what I needed to write. So if you are stuck with writer's block don't suffer in silence, ask for help!

What is your writing process like? Do you have any quirks, or must-haves to write?

No quirks or must-haves, but I'm fickle, so I need to have several projects going at once. I might be brainstorming one story, drafting another, editing a third, polishing a forth, etc. I write medieval historicals as well as romantic suspense, so I can flip time-frames as well as writing tasks and that keeps my brain and my writing fresh.

Where do you hope your books/writing will be in the future?

I'm interested in some mainstream topics right now, such as politics and economics. I'm also into cross genres, in fact, Synapse is a bit of sci-fi a bit of romance and a bit of suspense all rolled into one. I'd also love to get back to my fantasy novel series. It's a sweeping classic fairies, dragons, elves and sorcerers story and should be a lot of fun to share.

What do you hope readers will take away from your books?

I hope they will be whisked away to a different world for a little while and come away with a new way of looking at things.

What is one piece of advice you received that you carry with you in your writing?

“Don’t try to figure out what other people want to hear from you; figure out what you have to say. It’s the one and only thing you have to offer." –Barbara Kingsolver

What is one piece of advice you would give to new and aspiring writers?

Be selfish. Don't carve out little bits of spare time to write. Let writing take over your life. You won't regret it. If you really have the desire to write, your family and friends will understand. And do take the time to learn the craft, you may be born with talent, but craft will make your books stand out.

Are you currently working on any new projects? What can we expect from you in the future?

I'm working on a contemporary romance novella, a mainstream political novel about the origins of the US Constitution, as well as another medieval historical.

Thank you so much for taking time to chat with me today. It's been a pleasure having you and I wish you much success in the future.
About the Author: Kat Duncan is a creation extremist who is doing her best to identify human creativity and free it from captivity, one student at a time. As a young child, Kat once tried to confess the telling of her stories to her parish priest because she thought they fit the definition the nuns gave for telling a lie. With her lies fully sanctioned and blessed by church authorities, Kat has been telling her lies ever since and writing stories to entertain and enlighten. After a successful career as a software engineer, Kat decided she needed something different to do. She's now a tutor of adolescents with special needs.
Find the Author Online:
Twitter: @write_about


Debby said...

What a fascinating concept. I would love to know past ancestors.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting Kat today.

MomJane said...

I think your story sounds fascinating and fun. The time you took a break from writing it gave you just what it needed to become a really good story. Sounds fascinating.

Kat Duncan said...

Hi Debby - wouldn't it be great to get to know past ancestors? I loved listening to my grandparents tell stories about the Highland Clearances and our families moving across to Nova Scotia and the US. I wanted to meet those people and get to know them. Thanks for stopping by!

Hi MomJane - Yes, sometimes we have to put a project aside and give it a rest before getting back to it. That's why I like to have several projects going at once. Thanks for following the blog tour so faithfully! :)

Falcondraco said...

I agree with the other commenters. Your novel sounds fascinating!

-Leslie Soule
Falcondraco at hotmail dot com

Kat Duncan said...

Hi Falcondraco - thanks for stopping by to check out Synapse!

Renald said...

Wonderful interview, good luck with the book.

Kat Duncan said...

Hi Renald - thanks for stopping by to read my interview!

Kat Duncan said...

Congrats to Deb Pelletier who won the Irish items giveaway!