Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, January 27, 2012

GUEST BLOG: DANIELLE THORNE

What I Learned From a Hobbit

Part of being a good writer is being a reader, and I don't often get the chance to indulge in reading for pleasure these days. It's ironic, since books have been my biggest inspiration in life. Recently, I sat down for almost three days and indulged myself in a Lord of the Rings marathon. As much as I would have liked to have time to actually sit down and read the books (and I plan to with my ten year old who let me read The Hobbit to him last year), I did get a lot out of the movie and took some time to reflect on the beauty of Tolkien's imagination and the wisdom in his messages.

Every time I write a story, whether it's a romance or some far flung adventure, I am conscious of the messages that I send out with my characters. While I'm certainly no genius at integrating life changing morals into epic tales, I am fully aware of the impact of what my stories say. It's my hope that with my sea adventures, the reverence I have of the oceans comes through the pages. With Historicals, I strive to bring the beauty and innocence of the past to life. So many lessons behind us have been forgotten. Maybe in his own way, that's what Tolkien was trying to do, too.

Here are ten things that I have learned from the hobbits of the Shire:

Life was meant to be an adventure.
Never, never, never quit.
Faith will always find a way.
There is no greater gift than a loyal friend.
Power is a heavy burden to those who are true, and a weapon for the wicked.
No one is flawless.
To die with a friend, is to go in peace.
Trees have feelings, too.
To choose not to act, is to fail what is right.
There is no place like home…

I know there are more messages, all more profound, in the story of Frodo and his ring that I haven't even begun to unravel. I wish I'd taken the time to jot down my thoughts as I watched the films, but that they still linger on my mind is proof of the profound influence a good book can have. I wish each of you a wonderful new year full of books (and epic film interpretations) that bring inspiration, wisdom, happiness -- and yes, adventure.

Danielle Thorne
Author of Historical and Contemporary Romantic Adventures
www.DanielleThorne.com
Follow my blog! http://www.thebalancedwriter.blogspot.com
About the Author: Danielle Thorne is the author of sweet romantic adventure books, both historical and contemporary. She currently writes from south of Atlanta, Georgia. Besides contract editing and writing full time, Danielle has four sons with her husband, Rob. Together they enjoy travel and the outdoors.

Backlist
THE PRIVATEER (Desert Breeze Publishing)
BY HEART AND COMPASS (Desert Breeze Publishing)
JOSETTE (Whimsical Publications)
TURTLE SOUP (Smashwords)
SOUTHERN GIRL, YANKEE ROOTS (Willow Moon Publishing)
Coming Soon: DEATH CHEATER, February 2012

7 comments:

Debby said...

HI, I love adventure books. I will have to check out your stories.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Danielle Thorne said...

Thanks for coming by, Debby, and for checking out my books. Have a happy New Year!

Gail Pallotta said...

What a neat blog, Danielle. Thanks for sharing all the things you learned from the Hobbit. They're good for all of us to know. You do have a reference for the ocean in your books. I've enjoyed reading about it.

StephB said...

Dani, I saw previews for the Hobbit movie recently and I'm looking forward to the adventure! Lord of the Rings was a great movie trilogy. Thanks for sharing your insights - very motivational.

I loved your "pirate" adventure tales. Just need to find some time to check out your stories. Hope 2012 is off to a good start for you

Smiles
Steph

Pat Dale said...

Nice list, Dani. We also enjoy the fantastic worlds Tolkein invented, and the tremendous moral lesssons they convey. Best wishes for continued success with your writing.
PD

Zequeatta Jaques said...

Hi, Danielle. I love reading a book in which I can draw something from it. Enjoyed your list of lessons learned from the hobbits of the Shire. Best wishes in your continued writing.

Anne Patrick said...

Excelent post, Danielle. Loved your list of things you've learned from the hobbits.