Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, January 6, 2012

GUEST BLOG: AVERY FLYNN

The Ideas Cramming My Brain
By
Avery Flynn

Where does inspiration come from? Everywhere.

A DRY CREEK BED is Beth and Hank’s love story at heart, but the mystery surrounding them involves the trifecta of villainous motivations: revenge, land and greed.

First, let me set it up a bit for you.

In A DRY CREEK BED, readers discover Beth Martinez still mourning the deaths of the grandparents who raised her after her parents died in a car accident. Beth has seen her share of tragedy, including having the dream of starting her own family ripped away from her. Though quietly in love with Hank for years, she knows they’ll never be together. Hank, now the Dry Creek County sheriff and divorced from his first wife who lied to him about her desire to have children, wants a family, something Beth can never have and can’t give him. Despite their mutual desire for each other and Hank’s determination to pursue her, she manages to keep him at a distance.

All Beth has left of her family is the home built by her grandfather. So when a mysterious developer makes an offer on the property, she refuses. Soon she’s receiving threats and can no longer hide what’s happening from Hank. Forced together by circumstances, it becomes harder and harder for them to rein in their passion. Suddenly, the stakes go higher. Coercion turns into murder and it’s up to Beth and Hank to uncover who wants the land and why—before they both end up dead.

I have to go back to one of my favorites, Gone With the Wind, for the first nugget of inspiration for A DRY CREEK BED. In it, Scarlett’s dad tells her it’s all about land and in Nebraska that’s true, too. My stepfather recently sold his farm and it was heartbreaking for him. He thought he’d be farming it until he dropped in the hayfield. That got me thinking about the importance of land and how it can tie families together. The question that popped into my head was: what if the land is the only tie you have left to your family; what would you do if someone tried to take it away?

From that developed the villain of A DRY CREEK BED, a mystery developer pushing people off their land. Beth is the only person standing between the developer and millions in profits. Verbal threats morph into vandalism which morphs into physical violence. It’s up to Hank and Beth to uncover decades-old secrets, revealing that all is not what it seems in their rural Nebraska home.

Inspiration strikes all the time and I have far more ideas rolling around my brain than I’ve had time to write - thank God for the little notebooks I carry everywhere. These ideas slow roast in my noggin for a few weeks, months, and years until their time comes. Usually I know it’s time when the characters start popping up in my dreams. Then I know I have to get my butt in the seat and my fingers on the keyboard.

About the Author: Romantic suspense novelist Avery Flynn’s first Dry Creek novel, Up a Dry Creek, was published in 2011. Her latest, A DRY CREEK BED, has just been released by Evernight Publishing.

Born and raised in western Nebraska, the setting of her fictional town of Dry Creek, she now lives in the Washington, D.C. metro area. There she continues to write and work at her day job while enjoying her own happily ever after with her husband, three children and two dogs. She dreams of one day having a floor-to-ceiling library, à la Beauty and the Beast, and is working to perfect the coffee IV drip. She is delighted to have her first two books published and to be hard at work on High and Dry Creek, her third Dry Creek novel.

Find Avery on the web at www.AveryFlynn.com or www.EvernightPublishing.com.

3 comments:

Debby said...

Sounds very intriguing, but I will have to find the first one first before I read the second. Thanks
debby236 at gmail dot com

Ingeborg said...

Looks good I will put it on my to read list.

Paty Jager said...

Sounds like a great story!