Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, December 30, 2011

Stuff Your Stocking Blogfest: Vijaya Schartz

CHRISTMAS ON THE MEXICAN BORDER

by Vijaya Schartz


When you live in Arizona, like me, stories of the Border Patrol abound in the news. Most of those stories are sad and dramatic, a few are humorous. All of them make me think. You see, born in France, I am a legal green card holder, so I understand what it’s like to go through the red tape of immigration. The topic is controversial.

I’m not afraid of controversy. In my stories, however, I stay away from politics to consider only the human factor, the emotional factor, and emotions run high when the stakes are high.

As I researched my novella on many government sites, inquiring about what kind of weapons the officers carried on border patrol, I realized Big Brother was probably watching me, wondering if I was planning something nefarious. I just wanted to get my facts straight. In the story they are, except that I wrote this in 2008, and a few things have changed since then. Still, smugglers run the border every night with drugs, arms, and people, despite sophisticated surveillance and patrols.But after doing all that research, I asked myself what if... What if one of the girls smuggled from Mexico was about to give birth on Christmas eve? What if a group of terrorists planned an attack on the Palo Verde nuclear facility on Christmas day? What if my Border Patrol agent was a rookie, and a woman? What if her partner was corrupt? What if an FBI agent had infiltrated the smugglers’ ring and a big operation was about to come down on Christmas morning?

All my stories have an international flair, and most of my heroines carry weapons, whether blasters, guns, or swords. This one carries a Beretta and a knife in her boot, and she keeps a Glock in the jeep. Yet, as in life, a story wouldn’t be complete without romance. This one is unlikely at first, but become more believable as we learn more about what’s really happening. Some call it romantic suspense, some call it action romance. I just call it A DESPERADO FOR CHRISTMAS.

One of the commenters on this blog will win a pdf version of this story, but if you can’t wait, you can download it for 99 cents in any eBook format at Smashwords at: https://www.smashwords.com/books/search?query=Schartz

Find Vijaya’s other stories at


Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/author/vijayaschartz

Vijaya's eBooks at ARe: http://www.allromanceebooks.com/storeSearch.html?searchBy=author&qString=Vijaya+Schartz

Vijaya's Nook bookss at: http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=vijaya+schartz&STORE=EBOOK&SZE=100&SRT=SA

Vijaya's books at Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/search?query=Schartz

A DESPERADO FOR CHRISTMAS:
Rookie Border Patrol Agent Kaitlin Harrington hates Christmas and all men, since her lover jilted her and she lost her unborn child on Christmas Eve. This year, as she guards the Mexican border in southern Arizona, she encounters more than she can handle. No amount of training prepared Kaitlin to arrest the gorgeous desperado who challenges her. His name is Miguel, a human smuggler fascinated by the green eyes of the feisty auburn-haired beauty bent on impeding his important work. But Miguel is a man of many secrets. On this dangerous adventure through the Arizona desert, anything can and will happen.

10 comments:

Cathy M said...

I haven't had a chance to read this one yet, Vijaya, so thanks for the giveaway.

Happy New Year

caity_mack at yahoo dot com

Mountain Laurel said...

This book sounds good...hope I get a chance to read it soon! Thanks for sharing!

debbifarmer@yahoo.com

shadow_kohler said...

Thanks for sharing! I like that tv show weeds and they have a bit of everything with the boarder control in it. Your book sounds great! I love a kick butt heroine! Thank you! Happy new year!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

Debby said...

That's a lot of what ifs! I enjoy stories like that.
debby236 at gmail dot com

VampedChik said...

Sounds awesome! Def. going on my wishlist!
-Amber
goodblinknpark@yahoo.com

flchen1 said...

Great intro, Vijaya! Thanks for the snippet, and wishing you a joyful intro to the new year!

f dot chen at comcast dot net

Nike Chillemi said...

That's a wonderful story idea and Christmas scenrio for modern times.

Wishing you a healthy, happy New Year.

nike.chillemi@gmail.com

Janice Lee said...

I would so like to win a copy of "Christmas on the Mexican Border". The title is enticing and it takes place near where I grew up. Sorry to say I haven't read it, yet.

Vijaya Schartz said...

Congratulations, Shadow, you won a pdf copy of A Desperado for Christmas. It's coming attached to an email.

To you all, if you really want this book, it's only 99 cents in nook, kindle, and on Smashwords.

Thanks for commenting. A great year 2012 to all of you.

Robin said...

Good interview - your book looks great!

robindpdx(at)yahoo(dot)com