Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, December 19, 2011

Stuff Your Stocking Blogfest: R.R. Smythe

Poet’s words on Winter Walls The title is in homage to the poet, Robert Frost, and his poem, Walking through woods on a Snowy Evening.


I’ve always been enamored with this poem, from the very first time I heard it. I live in the woods, and when winter falls, the glisten of ice-coated branches and heavy white blankets covering the evergreens is not only breathtaking, but surreal. One understands the true meaning of Winter Wonderland.

I understand completely the poet’s love of the forest. I’m remodeling my writing office. When I approached my friend, an interior designer and artist for ideas (yes, I’m fortunate), she encouraged me with my idea for a literary theme. She paints landscapes on walls; and I am completely in awe, as I am unable to fashion a mere stick-person.

On the study wall is…you guessed it. A forest. A Victorian gaslight, and embedded in the picture, a la Bev Doolittle, the last few lines of the Frost poem, The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep.

I’m on the lookout for a real gaslight, as well as an old typewriter.

Wishing you warmth this winter. Forget school closings, snow tires and slick roads. Think…sleigh rides, sled rides and Robert Frost.

To help you stomach the cold, I’m giving away warm slippers, a mug and cocoa to sip while reading The Bride of Blackbeard. That way you will be prepared to face sunken ships in the freezing waters of the Graveyard of the Atlantic, the real life rescues of the Chicamacomico Life saving station…and of course, pirates. Just leave a comment to be entered.

Website: http://www.rrsmythe.com/ Book Video: http://bit.ly/ux2KIf

Robert Frost Poem in its entirety

13 comments:

Jean P said...

It must be very pretty seeing the ice and snow on the evergreens where you live, must sometimes look like a Christmas card.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Debby said...

Snow and ice i very pretty but it does get old. Slippers sound so nice. I just lost mine in a flood in my basement. It is now a swamp.
debby236 at gmail dot com

shadow_kohler said...

Sounds so pretty! Thanks for sharing! Happy holidays!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

wanda f said...

Great post thank you for the chance to win your book growing up in nc spending every summer at the coast pirate stories are a favorite of mine.

flanagan@mebtel.net

Diane Garner said...

When we lived in VA, our property had lots of trees. Being from SoCal, everything about winter amazed us, but we especially enjoyed our crystal forest in the ice storms.
I can't believe you're doing this while battling the stomach flu. May you be vomit-free for the rest of the day.

Dawn said...

Winter can be beautiful but I hate the cold..lol I live in Illinois so we see alot of snow...


staniszeski3824@comcast.net

Livia Quinn said...

Sounds like a lovely place to write. I live in the woods, too, but rarely see a snowy scene. Feel better.

Unknown said...

woods, woods and more woods!!!

Louise Behiel said...

I live in Calgary and am celebrating that there will be no snow left for Christmas. Yay!!!! snow is pretty but I get tired of driving in it. walking in it. shovelling it.

we've had a wonderful fall - warm and mostly dry. it's great. We are only 90 minutes from the mountains with all its wonderful pine forests. amazing. Snow on the trees and mountains is beautiful

Na said...

I love stories that come to life and it sounds like yours does. I think snow is beautiful to look at but not so much to venture out in. Thankfully our winters are quite mild, just lots of rain.

Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

Maureen said...

I definitely like the ice, snow and cold better in photos than in my daily life.
mce1011 AT aol DOt com

Frank said...

How lovely, RR! We just don't get snow here, but it sure does get nippy anyway! Hoping you're staying warm and cozy as you write!

--flchen1, using DH's account
f dot chen at comcast dot net

Kathryn Merkel said...

As long as I don't have to venture outside in an ice covered world, I love to look at it.

drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com