Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Stuff Your Stocking Blogfest: Linda Engman

Romance at the Holidays


Romance at the Holidays. I can’t think of anything better. Maybe because I met my husband at the beginning of the holiday season. It was a snowy December evening, I was out having cocktails with friends, and in walked this tall, hot guy with a wicked sexy smile. The holidays were never the same after that. Our first official date was on New Year’s Eve, I met his entire clan of a family the next Christmas Eve, the following year I enjoyed a romantic Christmas reunion with him after five long months apart when he was working out of state, and was given a diamond engagement ring during the holiday season a year after that. After years of marriage I still get excited when December rolls around.

When writing my just released romance novel Manhattan Holiday, which takes place during the New Year holiday, I tapped into all those excited, heady, nervous-pit-in-the-stomach emotions and feelings I experienced years ago, to create the main characters for this story. I relived what it was like to open a door and see a gorgeous guy waiting on the other side, ready to take me out for the evening. How it felt to spend the holidays together, getting to know one another amongst a romantic backdrop of twinkling lights and snowflakes. It was so much fun creating a cozy sensual romantic world for my hero and heroine, I found it hard to leave them at the end of each writing work day.

As long as we’re talking cozy romantic atmospheres, I can’t help but mention my love of decorating for the season. At my lake home, which I share with my husband and our two teenagers, the feel is rustic/modern. So most of my decorating is twinkle lights on greens and woodsy themed seasonal arrangements and items, that I eagerly display mid-November until after Valentine’s Day. (We live in northern Wisconsin where it’s dark by 4pm so twinkle lights during this time are a must.) Decorating is simple and natural. Nothing to glitzy or showy for our Chalet style home. On the other hand, when I was working on Manhattan Holiday I had a blast layering holiday detail upon detail in the scenes that took place in the heroine, April Sutton’s apartment and the hero, Roman Vasquez’s penthouse condo, along with another home location in Miami. Each place so different from my woodsy home that it was a joy to decorate them. Although, I have to say April’s place and the location in Miami, definitely outdid Roman’s single-guy’s-pad by a mile when it came to holiday décor.

No matter if you’re falling in love at the holidays or just love decorating for the holidays...make it romantic!

Happy Holidays, Linda

About the Author: Linda Engman loves to write contemporary romances about falling for someone when you least expect it. Her novels are set in small hometowns and other times in fast-paced big cities, and always sexy and romantic. When she's not writing she loves shopping for cute heels, playing tennis, spending time with her family, and lives in northwest Wisconsin on a lake with her husband, two teenagers, and two dogs. Linda Engman

Linda will be giving away a download of Manhattan Holiday to one lucky commenter.

14 comments:

Debby said...

I love the blurb for y our story. It sounds wonderful. Merry Christmas
debby236 at gmail dot com

Jean P said...

It sounds like you live in a wonderful area, must be very pretty with the snow at Christmas. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Linda Engman said...

Thank you Debby. Happy Holidays to you.
Jean, yes this time of year its very festive with the snow. Have a Merry Christmas.
Linda

CelticAmazon said...

Enjoyed the blurb.
Patricia
panthers.ravens@yahoo dot com

desitheblonde said...

i love to decorate and t hen post it every were i can
i have decorated the out side and t hen the tree and after xmas i am groin to get new tree and love to do new stuff every year
desi the blonde@msn.com

Catherine Lee said...

I grew up in Jersey City. My dad worked in Manhattan, in the Empire State Building, so I spent a lot of time "across the river"--especially during the holidays. There's nothing like Manhattan during the holidays--the hustle & bustle, the store windows and inside decorations, the Santas and chestnuts on every corner.

I'd love to read your book and relive some memories.

Ho, Ho, Ho...
Catherine
catherinelee100[at]gmail[.]com

Linda Engman said...

CA, so glad you stopped bye!

Desi, I try to do something different and new each year for decorating at the holidays. Or cook something new too. Although my family still insists on the traditional things too. :)

Catherine, thank you so much for sharing those great Christmas memories of Manhattan. Very romantic place!

Happy Holidays!
Linda

shadow_kohler said...

i love the sound of this. im definitely putting this on my wishlist. thank you!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

GladysMP said...

Your wintertime romance sounds great and I found it interesting that it gave you a plot for a book. I, too, love to decorate for the holidays, but I do change decorations for the different holidays. That leads to a very lot of things to store in the attic betweeen different seasons.

Happy New Year!

Frank said...

Linda, congratulations on your own holiday romance and HEA! I love reading love stories year round, but something about the holidays makes them all the sweeter :)


--flchen1, posting using DH's account
f dot chen at comcast dot net

VampedChik said...

Loved the excerpt. Thanks so much!
-Amber
goodblinknpark@yahoo.com

Linda Engman said...

Thanks so much for all the wonderful comments. I'll be picking a winner tomorrow morning on New Years Eve...so there's still time to leave a comment and get entered to receive an Ebook copy of Manhattan Holiday-BTW MH takes place over a romantic New Year holiday weekend! :)

Kathryn Merkel said...

How cool that the holidays still give you a thrill because of the memories you have of meeting your husband.

drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com

Linda Engman said...

Happy New Years Eve to everyone. I just love the romance of this night and had so much fun writing Manhattan Holiday. I also put everyone's names in hat and DEBBY from the first comment, will receive a download of Manhattan Holiday! Congrats!
Wishing everyone a wonderful New Years.
Linda