Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, December 23, 2011

Stuff Your Stocking Blogfest: Kaylie Newell

I LOVE Christmas movies. They make me laugh. They take me back. And every year, without fail, they get me into a yuletide frame of mind.
Here’s a list of some of my all time favorites, in no particular order:

A Christmas Vacation- I think I could recite this movie backwards and forwards. While tipsy on eggnog. And asleep. Yes, I’ve seen it that many times. But I’m probably not alone in my holiday film adoration. Who doesn’t love the somewhat disheveled image of cousin Eddie in his bathrobe, smoking a cigar and exclaiming, “The sh**ter was full!” Okay. Maybe not everyone. But still, a contemporary classic of the crude, comic variety.

It’s A Wonderful Life- This movie taught me about the simple wonders of a black and white film. It also introduced me to Jimmy Stewart (sigh). And that’s probably all I need to say about that :-)

Elf- The first time I saw this movie, I was nine months pregnant and had ankles the size of cantaloupes. I was hard pressed to find anything funny. But I laughed all the way through. And forgot about the fact that I couldn’t bend over to tie my own shoes (or even see my shoes, for that matter). A plus in my book. It’s been a favorite ever since.

A Miracle on 34th Street- Natalie Wood was so adorable in this movie. (Well, she was adorable period, I guess.) I love the scene where she was watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with her little nose pressed against her apartment window. I’ve never been to New York City, but when I picture it, that scene always comes to mind. Magical.

Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer- This one falls more into the TV category, but I always think of it as a movie. As kids, we watched it every year. Now, I have two little ones of my own and we still watch it. My girls have no idea they’re watching a classic from 1964. They just like the story. It’s sweet and simple. And I love that.

A Christmas Story- The quotes from this one are endless, and they still make me laugh, even after all these years. “You’ll shoot your eye out, kid!” “He looks like a deranged Easter Bunny.” “Fra-gee-lay…must be Italian.” The leg lamp, the tongue sticking to the light pole, the Bumpus hounds…all classic scenes.

We watched it every Christmas Eve. And still do. Thanks, TBS ;)

Love Actually- Not only is this a fantastic movie, but the soundtrack is great, too. Bonus! I love the snippets you get of the characters’ lives and how they all relate to one another. It’s funny and guaranteed to make you cry at least once. And as Dolly Parton said in Steel Magnolias, “Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.”
How very true.

Happy, happy holidays, everyone. To celebrate, I’m giving away a copy of my brand new paranormal/romantic suspense, A Death That Lingers to one lucky commenter below. Let me know what Christmas movies you love to snuggle up with!

For Kaylie Newell, storytelling is in the blood. Growing up the daughter of two gifted writers, she knew eventually she’d want to follow in their footsteps. While she’s written short stories her whole life, it wasn’t until after her kids were born that she decided to shoot for the moon and write her first romance novel. She hasn’t looked back since!

Kaylie lives in Southern Oregon with her husband, two little girls, an elderly Chihuahua mix, and two indifferent cats.

She would love to hear from you! You can find her at:!/profile.php?id=1121007272!/KaylieNewell


Renee said...

I LOOOOOVE Steel Magnolias. It is my absolute Fav movie! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Renee! I love it, too. Makes me cry every time :)

Jean P said...

Love to watch Miracle on 34th Street and the classic Scrooge.
Happy Holidays

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Na said...

Christmas movies are a lot of fun and some because they make me laugh and others because they inspire me. I really like Home Alone, Jack Frost, and Santa Claus. I forget about the last one until I saw it's playing.


Debby said...

We watch a bunch of those every year. We have a The Christmas Card to our list.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Dawn said...

A Christmas Carol is my fav!!!

wanda f said...

Its just not the holidays without watching National Mampoons Christmas Vacation.I love Chevy Chase .

Brenda Hyde said...

I keep hearing about Love, Actually and have never seen it. O_O I need to watch it soon. We have most of the Christmas movies you mentioned. I also have White Christmas on DVD and weep like a big ole baby at the end every dang time:)

Merry Christmas!
brenda at standbesideher dot com

GladysMP said...

My favorite Christmas movie is "A Christmas Carol." We have a copy and watch it during the Christmas season every year.

Merry Christmas to you!

Cathy M said...

Our two favorites are The Christmas Story and The Ref.

happy holidays everyone

caity_mack at yahoo dot com

shadow_kohler said...

I love Steel Magnolias. I always cry at the ending. Three of my favorite Christmas movies are National Lapoons Christmas Vaction, A Christmas Story and Polar Express. I love all of them! ;) Merry Christmas!

GladysMP said...

Are you aware of the true story that Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was the Side B of the original record? It turned out to be the hit of Christmas that year. Somehow a store had the rights to the profits but gave them over to the singer. Little did anyone know the fortune that was going to give the singer.

Frank said...

Our favorite Christmas movie is still A Charlie Brown Christmas--it still makes me cry outright some years, and I can't resist that little tree or Linus!

--flchen1, using DH's account
f dot chen at comcast dot net

Patti P said...

I love Elf and Polar Express myself. Those are my must sees at Christmas.
musicalfrog at

VampedChik said...

My house always seems to end up watching A Christmas Story and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. I always like to watch the Charlie Brown Christmas though. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kaylie Newell said...

Hey everyone! Wow- I have to say, you all have fabulous taste in movies ;)
I can't believe this is the last day of 2011. Wishing you much joy and success in 2012. Hope it's the best year yet!
Shadow Kohler, you're the lucky winner of a PDF copy of A Death That Lingers! Hope you enjoy it-
Happy New Year to all-