Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Stuff Your Stocking Blogfest:: Jennifer Ann Coffeen

Christmas Cookie Recipe


This year I thought about making some authentic Regency era desserts for our family holiday party, but somehow Mincemeat Pie and spiced mulled wine didn’t quite get the kids jumping up and down (or my husband). Instead I went with our own traditional Christmas cookies. They are the perfect family cookie because everyone from Grandma to the toddler cousins can help! The key to these delicious cut out cookies is to make the actual cookie less sweet and more flour based. This way, when you frost the cookie you aren’t overpowered by sugar. We love to decorate these yummy treats with colored frosting, sprinkles, and red hots. You can easily find holiday cookie cutters in great shapes like Santa, trees, ornaments, angels, and more. No time to make the frosting? Just use the store bought brand, add in a little food coloring and no one will be the wiser. Have fun and Happy Holidays!

Cut out Christmas Cookies

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange rind (you can also use lemon)


Directions:

1. Start out be preheating your oven to 350 degrees so it gets nice and warm for the cookies.

2. Next grab a large bowl and mix together flour, cream of tartar, and baking soda in a bowl; set aside. Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next. Beat in the vanilla with the last egg. Mix in the flour mixture stirring well. Add in the orange rind for that lovely flavor.

3. Roll out dough on floured surface to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with Christmas cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

4. Bake in the preheated oven until the edges are golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Let the cookies cool for at least a half an hour before frosting.

About the Author: Dissatisfied with Nancy Drew and Ned Nickerson's all too proper courtship, a pre-teen Jennifer gave into temptation, launching her one girl secret investigation into the bright pink and gold colored novels lying scandalously upon the top of her mother’s bookshelf. Needless to say a romance obsession was born. Eventually realizing one must gain life experience and education outside of the 19th century, Jennifer moved to Chicago to pursue theatre and writing. In the past decade she has worked with various theatre companies including Bedlam Theatre in Edinburgh, Scotland. In 2003 she co-wrote the amazing, mind-boggling sideshow act "Numbskull, the Human Blockhead" alongside eventual husband, Fraser Coffeen. She then joined forces with the Muffin Basket Cases, a group of seven women solo performers who wrote and performed a new show each week, did a run with Beastwomen Female Cabaret, and is an original member of the kates, who perform the last Saturday of every month at the fabulous Book Cellar. For more information on Jennifer's life, shows, and ( of course!) upcoming novels, check out her website www.JenniferAnnCoffeen.com


Leave a comment to be entered into a drawing for a download of Lover's Gamble.

15 comments:

wanda f said...

Thank you for the recipes I have two new ones to add to my collection.Happy Holidays

flanagan@mebtel.net

Jean P said...

Thank you for the recipe,I love cut out cookies, unfortunately mine always look like mishappen stars, etc.
I need to bake more!
Happy Holidays

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Jennifer Ann Coffeen said...

Thanks for stopping by! This recipe is one of my favorites due to the orange rind. It gives it such a wonderful flavor!

Happy Holidays!

Debby said...

Thanks for the recipe. My daughters and I made cookies every year for Christmas
debby236 at gmail dot com

Na said...

Cookies are so fun to make during the holidays and even though I'm not much of a cook, cookies I can do :) Thank you for sharing your recipes.

Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

GladysMP said...

The idea of adding more flour and making the cookies less sweet is a dandy idea. So many cookies with icing are sickingly sweet. I used to do oodles of baking, but since hubby now has diabetes, that is no longer true. I spent hours decorating fancy Christmas cookies and now my daughter tells me every year, "How did you have the patience to decorate those cookies so elaborately?" It was a labor or love. She decorates cookies much more simply, but still says they take forever. LOL

Jennifer Ann Coffeen said...

I agree with you Gladys. I much prefer a less sugary cookie these days, though my son may think otherwise! Part of making cookies is bringing back the memories and traditions from my own childhood. That's the reason I labor over my cookies too.

shadow_kohler said...

i love sugary sweets, but not over powering. i love chocolate. ;) thanks for sharing with us! happy holidays!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

VampedChik said...

Sounds yummy! I will have to make some. :) Thanks so much! Happy Holidays!
-Amber
goodblinknpark@yahoo.com

Frank said...

How delicious, Jennifer! Thanks for the recipe--haven't made these rolled cookies in years! ;) I'm glad you pursued your curiosity and are now bringing us stories of your own to enjoy!

--flchen1, using DH's account
f dot chen at comcast dot net

Jennifer Ann Coffeen said...

I hope everyone enjoyed their cut out cookies this holiday! We ate the last of ours yesterday. Sigh...til next year!

VampedChik said...

Thanks so much for the reciepes. I so shouldnt have them but I will definitly enjoy them. LOL
-Amber
goodblinknpark@yahoo.com

Kathryn Merkel said...

I'm with your husband & kids, neither mincemeat pie or mulled wine would go over very well with me either.

Sugar cookies, however are a year round favorite.

drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com

Jennifer Ann Coffeen said...

Thanks for all the great comments! I'll be drawing a winner later today for a free copy of LOVER'S GAMBLE! (ps- if you don't happen to win, don't worry! LOVER'S GAMBLE is currently on sale!)

Jennifer Ann Coffeen said...

Congratulations to Kathryn Merkel! You've won a free copy of my Regency e-book LOVER'S GAMBLE. Keep an eye out for my email in the next couple of days.

Thanks to everyone for commenting! I had a great time sharing recipes with you. Happy New Year!