Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Stuff Your Stocking Blogfest: Jane Toombs

When is the positively worst date to be born? No, not Christmas, because Christmas babies are special. But think about the days between Christmas and New Years. Yup--not a good time for a birthday. Mine’s the 27 and one of my daughters-in-law is the 28. We bonded over our one Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday present. Sure the Christmas baby has the same message, but at least it IS his or her birthday.

She’s married to my older son, whose birthday is in December, too--but the 10. When he was younger I made his special by putting up the tree on that day, plus a birthday dinner and presents. Easy, because it was before Christmas, not after.

So if you’re a planner rather than a "we’ll take what we get at whatever time of the year", please don’t plan to have a baby just after Christmas.

I used to go all out for Christmas--starting with a live tree every December. As my five got older, I bought an artificial tree, but it never felt the same. And once they were all on their own, I gave up a tree altogether.

Please don’t think --”How sad.” Because it really isn’t. Once you get into your eighties you begin to let go of some traditions that are just too much effort for old folks. I save my energy for important parts of Christmas like still doing Christmas letters. I freely admit sometimes these turn into New Year’s letters, but it’s still the right season. I do like to hear from old friends and, whether they want to hear from me once a year or not, my take is that they do. They’ll be late again this year due to edits, but they will get done.

Do we still celebrate Christmas? Of course! We’re not that senile--yet, anyway. And a beautiful holiday it still is.

One of the three edits I’ve been doing is for a Christmas short story--one of the twelve days of Christmas books Red Rose Publishing is putting out this year:


A ten-year-old girl whose father was killed in Afghanistan and a stray mutt become the catalyst for a happy Christmas.

Leave a comment to be entered into a drawing for a download of "The Christmas Catalyst." This prize has already been awarded.


RoyalCheryl said...

Please enter me. Thank You. Merry Christmas Everyone!

Brenda Hyde said...

My mom's birthday is the 21st, and my mother in laws is the 28th. I never combine the Christmas and birthday gift because I figure that's not fair:)

Happy early Birthday and Merry Christmas!

Debby said...

Hi Jane. I have your book so I just wanted to say HI. Please do not enter me

Hugs debby

The Long and the Short of It Reviews said...


shadow_kohler said...

Hi! Happy holidays!

Brenda Hyde said...

Thank you so much!

GladysMP said...

My son's birthday is December 19th and that is a terrible time to have a birthday as a child. Everyone is so involved in decorating, shopping, wrapping, etc. that birthday parties just get forgotten.

Happy New Year! The ebook would have done me no good for I don't have an ereader.

Frank said...

Jane, I have a December birthday, too, and vowed I wouldn't inflict one on my kids. Instead, their birthdays are in the spring and summer :)

Hope your celebrating this month is merry and memorable! And a happy birthday to you and to your daughter-in-law!

--flchen1, using DH's account
f dot chen at comcast dot net

oh, and happy reading, Brenda!

VampedChik said...

My birthday New Years Eve and one of my best friends is Christmas. Mostly my family and friends are pretty good about seperating the too and still being equal as to what they would have given the other kids for their birthday. But i always make sure that I seperate the 2 for my friend. Thanks so much for sharing!