Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Stuff Your Stocking Blogfest: Frances Pauli

Holiday Indulgence

One of the things I love the most about writing holiday romances is that I can engage in a little bit of personal indulgence. Rather like the chocolate truffles I allow myself to sneak this time of year, my holiday stories tend to be somewhat self-soothing.

I’m not sure why, to be honest, but something about holiday romance really appeals to me. Perhaps it’s all the comfort and joy already filling the atmosphere, but it seems like you just can’t be too sweet at this time of year. You can’t be too merry, or too joyous or have too much fantasy. You can really go for it on the holiday magic, and it works.

People expect enormous happily ever afters at Christmas. They expect tears of joy, miraculous reunions, wonderful lives. Delivering that feels good any time of year, but at the holidays it just spills over to my own warm and fuzzy feelings as well.

If it’s truly better to give than to receive, (which holds true of anything except chocolate, really) then perhaps giving a little sparkle of Christmas joy to my characters, readers, and yes, myself, isn’t such a bad thing. All I know is I can’t stop. Like those truffles, writing holiday magic is addictive. It stirs up all the mystery and magic that Christmas held for me as a child and makes the holiday feel special again, like anything can happen. Because in a Christmas romance, of course, anything can.

Thank heavens. Ring the bells, light the candles and get ready for romance with all the tinsel and trim. I get holly jolly just thinking about it.

Thanks for having me,

Frances writes speculative fiction and romance for Mundania Press, Awe-Struck and Devine Destinies. Her holiday romance, Twelve Dances, involves nutcrackers, oboes and a healthy dose of happily ever after. She's offering a copy of the e-book to one lucky visitor today. Leave a comment to enter.

Twelve Dances
by Frances Pauli

Some dreams are too good to be true. Is Clara’s too true to be good?

When Clara adds a brand new nutcracker to her favorite Christmas collection, she immediately starts having vivid, recurring dreams about her twelve wooden princes. As the holiday nears, her infatuation with the new nutcracker grows into a flirtation that sets the rest of the little soldiers against her. Dancing through an impossibly real battle in her sleep and dodging her infuriating family during the day, Clara’s holidays take a spin toward disaster. If she can survive both and make it to Christmas Eve in one piece, will Clara get to dance with the one prince she actually wants? And even if she does, what happens when the holiday passes, and the nutcrackers are packed away for another year?


Dawn said...

I like your thinking! Holiday romance is special. I always think of New Years Eve as a very romantic day! Thanks for sharing

Jean P said...

Enjoy reading holiday romances, they are always so magical.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Debby said...

Me too. These is something special about Christmas and every thing that could happen.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Frances Pauli said...

Thanks so much for the comments. Yeah for holiday magic. ;)

Frank said...

Frances, I happy to adore holiday romance--I think it's as you described, just a little more special because of the celebratory atmosphere and the joy already surrounding the season! Hope your celebrating this year was merry and memorable!

--flchen1 using DH's account
f dot chen at comcast dot net

shadow_kohler said...

I agree with everyone. I love holidays romances. ;) The season just adds a little something to the romance. ;D

VampedChik said...

I agree with everyone. They're fun to read. Thanks so much for sharing!

Frances Pauli said...

Thank you all so much for coming to the blog party! We rolled a dice, and the winner of Twelve Dances is:
Congratulations, and I'll be sending you the e-book right away. :)