Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Stuff Your Stocking Blogfest: Anne Holly

Snow, Bison, Aurora Borealis and Other Northern Delights by Anne Holly


I grew up on a steady diet of Western romances – the scrub of Texas, the mountains of Montana, the wilds of Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, the Dakotas, even Oregon once or twice. It seemed in the romance world of my youth, you could be one of a few things – a cowboy in the West, a business man in the East, or a British/Greek/Australian tycoon… Or a woman who loved one of the above, of course. That’s kind of limited, I suppose, considering the vast, worldwide community of people who love romance. I’m glad things are changing to better reflect us readers.

As a writer, I gravitate towards nature, so I guess Westerns should come naturally to me. In fact, I did write a book set in the beautiful “mountains of Montana” this year, Charity. But the problem is, I’m Canadian. I love the nature right here, too. And we have lots and lots of it to praise. It’s not better; it’s just home. And I would love to see it used more often as a backdrop to passion.

In Canada, we can use six months worth of snow as an excuse to stay in and snuggle. We have the Northern Lights under which to fall in love. Vast skies and open places, rivers and oceans, and rugged coasts. Deep forests and quiet fields. As someone who has traveled a bit around the country, and grew up near the sea in the woods, and loves winter – all of these things inspire me. And all of these things scream “Romance!” to me.

So, is “the Northern romance” Canada’s version of “the Western”? If so, it hasn’t really caught on, though we see more “Western romances set in Canada’s West” than we did before. One reviewer of my Northern romance, Strings Attached, asked, “Who knew Canada’s North could be so romantic?” Well, I guess I did.

Margaret Atwood claimed that authentic Canadian stories are marked with the quest for survival. Well, where better to set a tale of survival than in the North? And, for me, survival is tied with love and partnership – two against the odds makes for compelling romance.

Strings Attached is set in northern Manitoba, on a ranch in the dead of winter under those Northern Lights. When my couple, Theo and Josie, embrace under the ribbons of gold and green dancing across the sky, it’s a natural call to happily ever after. The isolation (or, as I prefer, solitude), the cold outside fought off by warm fires, the partnered struggle against the elements – seems like all the ingredients for love, to me.

Though, I admit those novels from my youth must have had a strong affect on me. After all, the hero of Strings Attached is an Australian, and the heroine is a woman who loves him. She also happens to be a Canadian bison rancher, though, so I guess that’s my twist.

Winter well, friends, and all the best for the holidays. - AH



Anne Holly is a Canadian writer of romance and erotic-romance, as well as a mother and teacher. She has been published by Wild Horse Press, Decadent Publishing and Rebel Ink Press, and in 2012 by Pink Petal Books. Anne’s work is characterized by its unusual heroes, sweet/spicy balance, witty dialogue, responsible citizenship, and its positive, optimistic nature. She has found a particular niche in holiday romance. You may visit Anne at her blog or website, or find her on GoodReads, Facebook and Twitter (@anneholly2010). Sign up for her newsletter here. Email her at anneholly2010@gmail.com.

Please comment for your chance to win a copy of Strings Attached on Kindle.

12 comments:

Debby said...

I love the Northern Lights. We do get to see them very often but they sure are beautiful when they appear. It must neat to see them all the time
debby236 at gmail dot com

Jason Darrick said...

Romance is not something that I usually read, but being Can"eh"dian I understand isolation and the desire to fight the elements with a lover. I'm single now, so perhaps a hot story is exactly what I need to make it through January. :)

Coral said...

I would love the opportunity to read a Canadian Western Romance. :)

Anne Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne Holly said...

Thanks for the comments! Much appreciated.

All the best for the New Year!

Jean P said...

Haven't seen Northern Lights in years, they certainly are spectacular. Your story sounds perfect for reading on cold winter nights.

Happy New Year.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

shadow_kohler said...

Your book sounds good. Thanks for sharing it with us!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

Patti P said...

I would love to read this. I have never seen the Northern Lights. It is on my bucket list!
musicalfrog at comcast.net

GladysMP said...

I have had the pleasure of visiting Canada twice. Once I made a trip with my dad to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. The garden on the Canadian side of the Falls was gorgeous. Later I made a trip with my family to Banff Springs, Alberta, Canada, and spent a week in that magnificent Banff Springs Hotel. That was one wonderful vacation. I agree that Canada would make a beautiful setting for a romance novel.

Wicked Leanore said...

Hello, Anne Holly! I love the Canada landscape and the people! This was a sweet spot!

Frank said...

Those are some gorgeous settings, Anne! We've visited parts of Canada, including Banff and Jasper, and would love to see more--it's a huge, beautiful country!

Hoping your celebrating was merry and memorable this year!

--flchen1 using DH's account
f dot chen at comcast dot net

VampedChik said...

Sounds great! I would love to read it! Thanks for sharing!
-Amber
goodblinknpark@yahoo.com