Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Stuff Your Stocking Blogfest: Angie Fox

Bethany: Is your house on fire, Clark?

Clark: No, Aunt Bethany. Those are the Christmas lights.


I can't tell you how excited I am that the holiday season is here - I love the lights, the decorations and especially putting up the tree (taking it down is another matter). And so begins the annual Fox family debate - what kind of tree to get.

My husband grew up in an "artificial tree" family. He believes in economy - grab that puppy from the basement, have it up in under a half hour, maybe spray some pine-scent and start decorating.

If only it could be so simple.

For, you see, I tend to channel the spirit of Clark Griswold during the holiday season. And worse, I come from a real tree family. And not just a "tree lot" tree family - my dad had us out early the weekend after Thanksgiving, hoofing it across massive Christmas tree forests, looking for the perfect one. We'd spent all morning walking - and goofing around - but all in search of the not-too-tall, not-too-short, no-bald-spots, does-it-have-the-right-kind-of-needles, long-enough-trunk, my-brother-did-NOT-see-it-first masterpiece of a tree. We'd take turns chopping it down and then my dad would haul it back out of the woods.

The first year we were married, I tried to re-create this tradition with my husband, the spray-on pine scent guy. He was cautiously optimistic. I picked the wrong tree farm. It was literally a long field flanked by other people's backyards. He laughed. And finally, I did too. It was fun. The tree was pretty. And we vowed ... next year would be spectacular.

Then we had one kiddo, and two. My husband began to point out ads for artificial trees - on sale! (Yeah, I'm a sucker for a sale.) But, no. While I'm not going to channel Clark Griswold to the point of dashing out to the woods with two small children and a hack saw, I still need a real tree.

So we head to the lot up at church. My husband talks with the guys, we all pick out a tree and it's just as pretty as the ones we dragged home years ago. But someday...one day...I'm going to get these people back out into the woods.

Now what about you? Are you an "artificial tree" person or a "real tree" person? One lucky commenter wins a copy of A Tale of Two Demon Slayers.

Angie Fox is the New York Times bestselling author of several books about vampires, werewolves and things that go bump in the night. Visit Angie at www.angiefox.com.

8 comments:

Debby said...

I would prefer a live tree but our youngest daughter is allergic to the tree. It was either her or the tree. We decided on an artificial tree and keep the kid. Most of the time,we do not regret that decision.
debby236 at gmail dot com

VampedChik said...

We've had both in the house. But mostly we have to use artificial because my mom and me are slightly allergic. So I would love to have real ones in the house but for medical purposes we cant. :( Thanks for sharing!
-Amber
goodblinknpark@yahoo.com

Barbara E. said...

I insisted on a real tree for many years, and then was won over to the wonder of artificial trees after acquiring one. No needles to clean up, no making sure there's water so the tree doesn't dry up and catch on fire, no shopping for that perfect tree. Just take it out of the box and with the pre-lit tree, just hang your ornaments. What could be easier than that?

Barbed1951 at aol dot com

shadow_kohler said...

we use artificial trees. we have a few animals (6 dogs and 2 cats) and they tear up what few plants we have in the house. even the artificial tree is demolished by the end of the year. thanks for sharing! happy new year!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

Nancy G said...

I love real trees, but because we have a cat, this option is not acceptable at this time. Since we do all our celebrating at my daughters house now, I don't do much at the house in the way of decorating. I do, however, have a real tree at work that do up fancy. The hard part will be getting help taking it down next week.

nancyg5997 at gmail.com

Chrisbails said...

definatley artifical tree. I can't even take care of a plant. I would never remember to water a tree.
Thanks for the chance to win.

christinebails@yahoo.com

flchen1 said...

We're a fake tree family--both of us are used to those from our youth and aside from one of the first years we were married, when DH surprised me with a fresh tree, we've had our serviceable fake for years. :) We do still have a little Charlie-Brown-esque real tree, but are struggling to keep it alive...

Hoping your celebrating was merry and memorable, Angie! Wishing you a joyful new year!

f dot chen at comcast dot net

Na said...

We have a pre-lit, artificial tree that we adore. It's easy to take care of and that's why we have it. Whether it's real or not, as long as you enjoy your tree and make it your own that's a great thing.

Cambonified{at}yahoo{dot}com