Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, December 23, 2011

Stuff Your Stocking Blogfest: Allison Knight


Christmas is a special time of year and a great time to share memories, so I'd like to share the memory of one of my best Christmases with you.

First though, I must tell you that I was born at 8:20 in the evening on December 25th, and no I'm not going to tell you the year. I will say that I was born in one of the worst blizzards ever to descend on our state. But that's neither here nor there.

My best Christmas was a few years ago. My wonderful DH took me to Hawaii, the big island. We stayed in a brand new condo on the west side of the island. The apartment was so new that when I tried to bake something, the oven wouldn't work. Maintenance arrived to remove the paper and tape obstructing the temperature gauge. It seems we were the first occupants of this unit.

We went shopping the next day and I bought two beautiful muumuus, while my DH bought matching shirts. We wore one of them the next day when we attended a lavish Luau.

But it only got better.

On Christmas day we went to Church to attend the services. The priest reminded us during his sermon that this was a special birthday and then asked if anyone else was celebrating a birthday with Jesus. My husband poked me and with a lot of prodding, I finally stood. I was the only person in that full church who stood. I was wished a happy birthday by everyone around me while the rest of the congregation applauded. For the first time in my life, I got lots of birthday wishes. Believe me when I say, if your birthday falls on Christmas, chances are great it will be forgotten in the excitement of the day.

But my day only got better.

After church we drove to Hawaii's Volcanoes National Park. During our visit I got to walk on an actual volcano. The pungent smell of sulfur permeated the air, and steam rose from countless vent around us. I stood on hardened lava not many feet from the edge of the crater of an active volcano. I was impressed.

But there's more.

I'd already purchased a small standing rib roast to fix for our Christmas dinner. We learned long ago not to trust that restaurants will be open on holidays. On the way back from our visit to the volcano we passed a road side stand selling flowers. My DH stopped and bought me the most gorgeous arrangement for our table. In the center was a bird of paradise and surrounding it were twelve perfect orchids.

To make the day perfect the rib roast was one of the best I've ever cooked and the sunset was magnificent. It was one of the best birthdays I've ever had. A great Christmas too.

Award winning author, Allison Knight claims she's married to the world's greatest husband because he's her greatest supporter and works with her on all her projects. The mother of four children, she retired from teaching to move south to warmer climes. She has written and published nineteen romances for both paperback and digital publishers. Her third medieval romance from her 'song' series and a short story are available from Champagne Books, Inc.

Because she can never quite step out of teaching mode, she blogs often sharing the knowledge she gained writing and publishing in the romance genre. She also loves to talk about the growing digital market.

You can find her at:
She blogs once a month for The Writers' Vineyard,
Allison will be giving away a digital copy of Windsong, so be sure to leave a comment.


Jean P said...

What a beautiful memory, thank you for sharing it with us.
Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday!

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Debby said...

That sounds so wonderful. What a great memory.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Dawn said...

I love your story..Thanks for sharing!!!

wanda f said...

Whata wonderful memory thank you for sharing it with us .Merry Christmas

Na said...

Wow, sounds like a memoriable Christmas. I want to go to Hawaii one day. Happy upcoming birthday :)


Brenda Hyde said...

Oh my, that had to be so cool! One surprise after another:) My husband and I have talked about going to Hawaii after our youngest graduates from high school. It sounds wonderful!

Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday!

GladysMP said...

My daughter and son-in-law have made about a half dozen trips to Hawaii and love the state. They have decorated their bedroom in Hawaiian prints, pictures, keepsaked, etc. and this year they even have an Hswaiian decorated Christmas tree. They put a Santa in bright colored shorts relaxing in a recliner with a drink in his hand in their yard, with tall lit palm trees, flamingos and a sign saying Merry Christmas in Hawaiian. They have won The Most Original prize several times.

GladysMP said...

Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to you!

shadow_kohler said...

What a great memory. Thank you for sharing! Happy holidays!

DawnM said...

That must have been a wonderful Xmas, I'm envious.

Teresa K. said...

Wow, that is one of the best Christmas memories I've ever heard or read. How beautiful everything fell into place.
To me this was a blessing from the Creator. He showed his love for you on that day.
May you always be blessed with Christmas memories like that one.

Merry Christmas,
Teresa K.

hotcha12 said...


GladysMP said...

Hope you had both a nice Christmas and a Happy Birthday. My son's birthday is Dec. 19th and that was a bad time for a child to have a birthday. Everyone was so busy shopping or wrapping and such and time for birthday parties just didn't fit in too well.

Frank said...

Allison, what a fabulous Christmas and birthday memory! Hope this year's celebrating was just as merry and memorable! Happy belated birthday to you!

--flchen1, using DH's account
f dot chen at comcast dot net

Patti P said...

That sounds like a wonderful memory. Thank you for sharing.
musicalfrog at

VampedChik said...

That's a beautiful memory. Thanks so much for sharing it!

Allison said...


Congratulations! Your copy of Windsong will arrive the first of the week. At the moment my office is in shambles. I'm getting a new computer desk and my DH doesn't have it together so the office is a mess and I can't get to my big computer. As soon as I do, the book will be on the way.