Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, December 5, 2011


HOLIDAY RECIPES (Made From Leftovers!)

One of the cool things about being a military spouse is collecting different recipes and traditions from people around the world. And with so much cooking around the holidays, sometimes it’s a welcome break to opt for an easier meal of soup and warm bread on a cold evening. I know I especially appreciate an easy evening’s meal after a crazy day writing and juggling holiday mayhem. (Below is a photo of my youngest daughter doing her “Mom on Deadline” imitation!)

Here are two of our family favorite recipes I picked up from friends - recipes that have the added bonus of using leftovers!

“Tortellini Soup”

(This recipe is from my dear friend Katherine Dunn. Our husbands crewed together way back in the early 1990s. We still keep in touch, even though we now live on different continents!)

6 cans of chicken broth
8 ounce package of cheese tortellini (cooked al dente)
1 lb fresh spinach
1 lb turkey (or chicken breasts) – cooked and chopped into chunks
1 small red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cup white rice – cooked
Grated parmesan

In large pot, bring broth to boil. Add chicken, spinach, red pepper, garlic – cook 5 minutes. Add tortellini and rice. Heat all. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve!

“Ham & Bean Soup”

(This recipe came from my awesome neighbor when we were stationed in Louisiana. Karen Tucker has been not only a dear friend, but she and her husband have also always treated my kids like grandchildren! This was a special blessing in all our lives since we lived so far away from family.)

1 pound dry navy beans (soak overnight)
Leftover ham bone (with chunks of ham still on it.)
Pepper, salt & chopped onion

Put all ingredients in crock pot. Cover with water. Cook on low for 10-12 hours (or high for 5-6 hours.) Serve hot.

What are some of the ways you use leftovers? Two lucky commenters will win a copy of HOT ZONE. (US & Canada addresses only, please)


He’ll take any mission, the riskier the better…

The haunted eyes of pararescueman Hugh Franco should have been her first clue that deep pain roiled beneath the surface. But if Amelia couldn't see the damage, how could she be expected to know he'd break her heart?

She’ll prove to be his biggest risk yet…

Amelia Bailey's not the kind of girl who usually needs rescuing...but there are anything but usual circumstances.

USA Today bestselling author Catherine Mann delivers another hero from the Air Force's celebrated Pararescue Jumpers–"The PJs"– an ultra-elite force who put themselves at extreme risk in the most dangerous emergancies so that others may live. A sizzling thrill-rise of action and attraction, Hot Zone will leave your pulse pounding.

USA Today bestseller Catherine Mann is a RITA Award winning novelist with over two million books in print, in more than twenty countries. She resides in Florida with her military flyboy husband and their four children. For more information, she can be found online at:

Please leave a comment for a chance to win one of two copies of Hot Zone, US and Canada only please.


Debby said...

I love to take leftover turkey and combine it with gravy over mashed potatoes. That is a very easy recipe. I also found another one on a blog which is turkey tex mex soup.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Dawn said...

Sometimes leftovers are better the first time. After our St Patricks Day corned beef and cabbage, I take the leftover corned beef, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, etc and make my version of corned beef hash...oh i am

CrystalGB said...

I like to take leftover veggies and make a big pot of soup. Hot Zone sounds great. Love the cover.

CrystalGB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Na said...

I can definitely appreciate home-cooking during the holidays. I love spring rolls :)


Catherine Mann said...

Hi Debby - I looooove tex-mex style soups! That sure woudl make a great way to use leftover turkey. :)

Dawn, my hubby is a huge fan of corned beef & corned beef hash!!

Crystal - Thanks for the kudos on the cover! The art department really did do an amazing job!! I'm super happy with it. :)

Na, I ADORE spring rolls!! I'm no good at making them, but my neighbor makes them and brings them to all our neighborhood potlucks. YUM!!!

Thanks so much, ya'll, for stopping by to comment!!

bookworm54 said...

Hi! I love making things from left-overs, like turkey or chicken pot-pie. I really want to get this book but need to start my christmas shopping for my kids instead of me.I'm asking for a gift card at some bookstore so I can buy the ones I wan. Anyways,Merry Christmas and can't wait to read Hot Zone!

Barbara E. said...

Thanks for the recipes, they both sound great.
Hot Zone sounds like a great story and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Barbed1951 at aol dot com

vmaisie said...

Those recipes sound yummy....I can't wait to try them.... Eating left overs as they are only last for one day...then everyone screams "no more.......

Catherine Mann said...

Glad to know the recipes are going to be helpful!! I never like to see leftovers wasted.... as a coupld of you mentioned, veggie soup is also a great idea. I keep a container in the freezer for leftover veggies. Once it's full, soup time (even though I don't eat vegetable soup, lol!)

Thanks as well for picking up a copy of HOT ZONE!! What a nifty holiday treat for me. :)

Paula R said...

Hey Cathy, decorations now food...can't keep up with you girl. Just wanted to drop in and show some love. Hope you're having a great day.

Peace and love,
Paula R.

Catherine Mann said...

LOL, Paula - most days I can't keep up with my life either. :) Am dragging a bit behind today. Supper was nothing creative AT ALL! Tossed some wings and fries in the oven and am about to crash for the day! Hope all's well with you!!

Paula R said...

Yummy...wings and fries, two very important ingredients for my food pyramid. Enjoy your evening, and don't work too hard. See you around the blogosphere.

Peace and love,
Paula R.

EllenToo said...

I don't do a lot with leftovers mainly because I make frozen dinners ahead of time and they are one person dinners since I only have me to cook for.

Winnie said...

My favorite comfort food made from leftover turkey, rice, and whatever else, was turkey jook or congee. It always brings back memories of my mom.

winnie968 at yahoo dot com

Cathy M said...

My hubby is the chef in our family, and used our left over turkey for soup and enchiladas.

caity_mack at yahoo dot com

Jane said...

Congrats on the new release, Catherine. I'm can't make anything fancy with leftovers. I just heat them up and dig in.

janie1215 AT excite DOT com

Maureen said...

We use leftovers for our lunch so there is rarely anything left for dinner.
mce1011 AT aol DOT com

Catherine Mann said...

Ellen, you sound so wonderfully organized to make frozen dinners ahead of time! I try to... I wish I could be better about preplanning that way!

Winnie, isn't it wonderful how recipes can bring up fond memories of loved ones?!

Cathy M - YES! Love, love, love turkey enchiladas!!!!!

Jane - Thanks for the congrats! And there's a lot ot be said for enjoying the leftovers as is and giving the cook a well deserved break!

Maureen, I gotta confess when our whole family is here there aren't a lot of leftovers either! ;)

Thanks again for stopping by the blog! I appreciate all the fun comments and ideas!

Carol L. said...

Hi Catherine,
Isn't it great how our kids can mimic us ? lol Love the picture. I also love your recipes.My daughter will love the Ham and Bean soup. Looking forward to reading Hit Zone. Great cover.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

Carol L. said...

sorry, looks like I forgot to answer your question :)I use leftovers in casseroles, tacos and in soups as well.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com