Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Guest Blog: Nickie Fleming

How I came to writing


A question most authors get is ‘What made you want to write?’ In my case, the answer is easy.

As an infant, when my parents were at work, I spent a lot of time with my grandparents. Both of them loved to read.

Grandpa (who was French-speaking)used to read to me from his private library, especially from his collection of works by Alexandre Dumas. I stood in awe with all these tales of valiant knights and musketeers, queens in need of help. When I was a bit older, I took to looking up facts in the Larousse encyclopedia, which he also owned (and which I inherited, a fine sample of late 19th century printing).

Another thing which added to my love for books is the fact that my Grandma did not like to go anywhere on her own. So she took me – a small child of just two years old –along when she walked to the library in town. I still remember the first time I entered this place. It looked so huge, so overwhelming with all those books in cases up to the ceiling

With all those books around the house, and my growing interest in reading adventure stories or historical ones, it did not take much for me to take up a pen and begin to write my own stories. I must have been seven years old when I wrote and read my own fairy tales to a public. My teacher and classmates just loved them!

While I grew older, the stories grew longer too. At first they were two or three pages, then some twenty or thirty, up to one hundred later on. My first real novel was written when I was sixteen, a story about a young woman who was kidnapped by Aztecs.

Generally I did not do a lot with those stories I wrote. They ended up in storage, covered in dust. Until some years ago. When I became fifty, I suddenly felt the urge to become a published author. So I went looking for that box filled with early stories, and decided I could use some of them to write a full-length novel. For example, the story about the woman kidnapped by Aztecs became Maria Gonzalez, a tale of a brave woman in mid sixteenth century Spain and Mexico.

I was lucky to find a publisher who believed in my work and wanted to publish it. Since then, my work is being published by Rogue Phoenix Press.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Nickie Fleming was born and raised in the historical town of Dendermonde, Belgium – home of the legendary Horse Bayard.

She read English Literature at the University of Ghent, and got her master’s degree in philology. Since then, she has been working as a high school teacher.
Her interests besides reading and writing are travelling, skiing in winter and enjoying fine food.

2 comments:

Debby said...

I used to love Alexandre Dumas books. I decided to start reading them in middle school and loved them

wanda f said...

Fantastic cover for Diamonds For The Devil.You are a new to me author I look forward to getting my hands on your work.Ive always loved reading .Ive never met a book I didnt like.
flanagan@mebtel.net