Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Guest Blog: Dora Hiers

Plotting over Lunch with my Hubby


Since I started writing inspirational romantic suspense, my husband seems almost scared to go to lunch with me. I can’t help but wonder why.

The other day, I met him at Buffalo Wild Wings. He breezes in, slings the fire radio off his belt, does that one-handed flip with the thing, and leans down to plant a kiss on my cheek before sliding onto the opposite bench seat. “Hey.”

“Hi, honey.” I flash my best “happy to see you” smile.

“Ready to order?”

Well, I am, but he just sat down. Doesn’t he need a couple minutes to look over the menu?

I shrug. “Sure.”

The waiter brings our drinks, takes our order, and leaves. I’m the type that usually orders the same thing. At Buffalo Wild Wings, it’s always the buffalito. The meal arrives, and I dig into my buffalito. I finish my meal, ready to talk.

“So, honey. I need your help. I need a way to crash a plane.”

His eyebrows practically arch off his head. His gaze darts around the room. He sees a couple local police officers sitting a few tables away, nods, and smiles at them. He leans back and inhales, deep and shaky, lets it out slowly. Takes a long sip of water. “OK. Crashing a plane. Hmmm.”

“Yeah. Or maybe a poison.” I let that swirl around in my head for about thirty seconds. “Yeah, poison might actually work better. Just enough of a drug to make the pilot a little woozy, but not enough to kill him.”

My husband scrunches his face, does another quick glance around the dining room, and hunches his generous body lower in the bench. In the smallest voice he’s capable of (my husband only has one volume: booming), he says, “Poison. OK. Give me this afternoon. I’ll make some phone calls and find you something to work with.”

A head from the booth behind my husband swivels in our direction and frowns. The man leans towards his lunch partner and whispers, begins punching numbers into a cell phone.

My husband grabs the check, bolts to his feet, and holds out a hand. “You ready to go?”

“Sure, honey.” I smile, knowing he’s a busy guy and has a ton of work waiting for him at the office.

“Thanks for your help. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

He throws a desperate glance over his shoulder, waves at the police officers, and hustles me out the door.

I love my wonderful hunk of a husband. He's a tremendous help in plotting books. Sometimes just talking things out will loosen up writer's block. And although he may cringe at my weird, out-of-left-field dilemmas, he never complains. Wonder where he’ll want to go to lunch tomorrow?

Blurb for Journey's End:

Devastated after the brutal murder of her husband, Chelsea Hammond vows never to love another lawman. Intent on rebuilding her shattered life, she turns her focus to helping troubled teens. But when an angry father bent on retaliation, threatens her, Chelsea must turn to the one man she never thought to trust: Deputy U.S. Marshal Trey Colten.

Trey wants only to protect Chelsea, but she blames him for her husband’s death. Trey can relate. He blames himself, also. As danger lurks, Trey begs Chelsea to heed his warnings. He let down one Hammond. He won’t let down another—especially one who now holds his heart.

When Chelsea is snatched from her home, can she put aside her fear, and trust Trey with her life? Can she forgive him for destroying her past and let him help to rebuild her future?

Where one journey ends, another begins…

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
After a successful auditing career, Dora left the corporate world to be a stay-at-home mom to her two sons. Eventually, needing something more to fill her days, she started writing heart racing, God-gracing books. Dora belongs to the American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and the Carolina Christian Writers.

Dora and her husband make their home in North Carolina. When she’s not writing, Dora enjoys spending time with her family, kicking back in her recliner with a good book, teaching Sunday School, vacationing in the mountains, cheering for the Panthers, and walking her dog.

7 comments:

Clare Revell said...

Wish my hubby were that helpful. The only comments I get are 'kerching' or 'can I give up work and be a kept man now?'
Sounds like he's a keeper Dora :)

Debby said...

Love the lunch story. I can see it n my mind. Sounds like a great book as well. Thanks so much for sharing
debby236 at gmail dot com

Dora Hiers said...

Hey Clare. LOL, yes, he's definitely a "keeper." Although he doesn't read my books, by the time I type "The End," he could tell you everything about the book. Love our plotting lunches!

Hi Debby. All I can say is it's a good thing we live in a small town, and my hubby knows the police officers. And leaving my business cards with the tip helps, too. ;-)

Tracy Krauss said...

My entire family have been very patient and supportive over the years, allowing me to pursue my 'obsession' with a smile. They have also been a great springboard for ideas.

cheryl c said...

Fun story about your hubby! :-)

~Dana Pratola said...

He's more supportive since I got a contract. But he doesn't get that I need to work and not be available to keep him amused when he has a light work schedule.

Dora Hiers said...

Hi Tracy. Writing's so much more enjoyable when you have the support and encouragement of your family. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to create a story, create anything, without my hubby's support. Thanks for sharing, Tracy.

Hey Cheryl. Thanks! He's a ton of fun!

Hey Dana. I hear you. Mine has been good about helping me stick to my writing schedule, most of the time. While I was working on edits for JOURNEY'S EDGE last week in the evenings, he kept talking, interrupting my train of thought. I finally stopped and turned around to give him my full attention. It was only then that he realized I was WORKING! LOL