Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

GUEST BLOG: CHRISTINE YOUNG


What Were the Best and Worst Things About Scotland?


The best and the worst, hmm…that is an interesting question. I absolutely loved Scotland when I was there. I felt a sense of belonging or coming home. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t want to live there because it is not the US. But I would love to visit every year. Loch Ranoch was so peaceful. We walked into town every day, about a mile each way, ate at the local restaurants and thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance. The people were friendly and welcoming. So there were very few worsts for me in Scotland.

When visiting Scotland I found so many things fascinating. Castles and churches were in abundance. Some were well kept and others in ruins. I always had a larger than life image of the castles and was amazed to find some of them quite small. The ancient graveyards were also intriguing.

Scotland hosts some of the most magnificent scenery and idyllic places. We traveled to Loch Ranoch and in doing so we passed a stopping off place, which was supposed to be Queen Victoria’s favorite place in Scotland. Some of this rugged scenery I used in the last highland book Highland Song. The cover on this book comes from a photograph I snapped at this location.

Edinburgh Castle, well, there is nothing else like it. Besides the firing of the cannons toward the ocean there were wonderful places to eat highland food and buy highland trinkets. Beneath the castle the tunnels are haunted and one can take a ghost tour. I didn’t know about the tour at the time, but if I ever go back, I will certainly give the tour a try.

Loved the huge lochs and the castles, again castles. I’m beginning to see a theme. Loch Ness was beautiful and no, we didn’t see, Nessie, the Loch Ness monster, although I’m sure she exists.

Worst, beyond a doubt was driving on the wrong side of the road. I spent most of our driving time leaning to the right as if I could get the car on the right side of the road. The weather was pretty good until the last couple of days and it rained solid. I’m an Oregonian and I’m used to the rain but this was different, very different.

Born in Medford, Oregon, novelist Christine Young has lived in Oregon all of her life. After graduating from Oregon State University with a BS in science, she spent another year at Southern Oregon State University working on her teaching certificate, and a few years later received her Master's degree in secondary education and counseling. Now the long, hot days of summer provide the perfect setting for creating romance. She sold her first book, Dakota's Bride, the summer of 1998 and her second book, My Angel, to Kensington. She is the author of 10 published romance books and 2 novellas. Christine is a retired high school math teacher. Her teaching and writing careers have intertwined with raising three children. Christine's newest venture is the creation of Rogue Phoenix Press. Christine is the founder, editor and co-owner with her husband. They live in Salem, Oregon.

Links:
http://christineyoung-romancewriter.blogspot.com/
http://www.roguesangels.blogspot.com/
http://www.roguephoenixpress.com/

This post is part of a Virtual Book Tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions. At the conclusion of her tour, Christine will be giving away a $50 Amazon gift certificate to one randomly drawn commenter. She will also give a Clan MacPherson bookmark to one lucky commenter today. Follow her tour at http://goddessfishpromotions.blogspot.com/2011/10/virtual-book-tour-highland-honor-by.html for more chances to win.

Willfully stubborn, innocently courageous, Callie Whitcomb braves a journey through the treacherous highlands to the MacPherson castle. Callie flees from an unwanted marriage as well as her ruthless half brother. Naively she believes Colin MacPherson, the head of the clan, is loyal to her father and will give her sanctuary, protecting her from the vile plans that have been made for her.

As hard and as unyielding as the winter storms that sweep through the countryside, Colin is irresistibly drawn to the impetuous beauty who has magically appeared on his doorsteps. Despite his vows of revenge against her father, she stirs his passion as well as his sense of justice...but to love her would violate all his vows of revenge.

21 comments:

marybelle said...

I'm so looking forward to reading HIGHLAND HONOR. It looks wonderful. Have a great tour.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Mysti Holiday said...

Christine,

Scotland always had a mystical aura about it for me. I haven't been but am dying to visit. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Debby said...

We went to Scotland this past summer and really enjoyed ourselves. I agree with everything you said, including driving on the other side of the road.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Jenee Koci said...

I loved Scotland as well :)

Karen H in NC said...

Hi Christine,

You are a new-to-me author and I believe I will enjoy following you around on your blog book tour. I really like tours such as this because it allows me to become acquainted with authors I would never find otherwise.

What is the time period setting for your book?

Christine Young said...

Hi, all. First i would like to thank LASR for hosting me on their blog. Mysti, yes I agree with you about the mystical aura. The highlands are peaceful now but when one looks back at their history it was anything but peaceful.

Karen, the book is set in 1512.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

There's something so fascinating about castles! I think I could live in one--as long as it had modern conveniences!

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thanks for hosting Christine today!

Christine Young said...

Genene, you might not like the drafty rooms. I hear castles are pretty cold to live in.

Paty Jager said...

Scotland sounds like a wonderful place to visit. Maybe I can drag my hubby there one day.

I enjoyed Highland Honor!

Ashley said...

I could absolutely live at Loch Ranoch, as long as everyone I love most was near. It was amazing, eating breakfast in the 'sun room' overlooking the Loch was the best. Being so far north and having very little dark time was odd, and definitely made me feel off, but it's worth it. And the road to Loch Ranoch was absolutely horrible, but that's the price for seclusion. I would just rarely leave :)

Christine Young said...

Paty hope you can drag hubby there sometime. Make sure if you go you see Edinburgh Castle. It's amazing. And Ashley I loved Loch Ranoch so much. It was such a peaceful place to be.

Rosemary Indra said...

Hi Christine,
I love your book Highland Honor and look forward to reading it again.

Christine Young said...

Winner of the Clan MacPherson bookmark is Genene Valleau. Congratulations!

kansassweet43 said...

I have never been to scotland, but one of these days I may get there.
I am an avid fan of all things highlander. I think my love of the country started with Sean Connery way back when he was Bond, James Bond. :) and then him and Cristopher Lambert in the highlander films, (sigh) The accent is just wonderful. My fav genre is regency with the highlander theme being a close second. I'm always looking for new author's that write about them. zi will have to give yours a try.

Jenee Koci said...

kansassweet43, Highland Honor is a wonderfull book. You will love it, you should definitely check it out.

Di said...

As much as I love to read about Scotland in the distant past, I can't imagine living it. I'd much rather visit in todays timeframe.
sallans d at yahoo dot com

Christine Young said...

Di, me too. I think the lack of warmth would affect me first. I don't like to be cold and castles were drafty not to mention the other conveniences we are used to enjoying

Kansassweet I love highland books as well as westerns but I also love the regency time. I have two books out that are set in that time period and I had so much fun writing them.

latishajean said...

Scotland sounds like a nice place to see! Highland Honor sounds great Thanks for the great post!
tishajean@ charter.net

Christine Young said...

latishajean, thanks for commenting. You can probably tell I feel in love with the highlands.

Carol L. said...

My dream is to visit Scotland. I am looking forward to reading Highland Honor.This is definitely my kind of read. Thanks for the post Christine.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com